I just bought a broken P64...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
GuitarmanNick

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by GuitarmanNick »

^^^^^ What Manicmechanic said. Always use lubricants that will perform at extremes in any weapon that may be relied upon for defensive purposes. On polymer framed weapons, make sure the lube chosen is safe for use on polymers.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I usually use Lucas gun oil. I've had good luck with it on my other guns.

After getting everything cleaned out, the disconnector still got stuck. I think this will just be a range toy. I do enjoy shooting it. The new mag works well.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I took this to the range on a warm day a week or so ago, and every shot did not reset the trigger. The trigger bar is straight. I just ordered Norm's trigger spring to try in it. I'm hoping this works. I really like the gun, but I am beyond frustrated with it, too.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

Update after Norm's spring install: It works! I got through two mags without any issues.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

excellent! Always happy to hear of the return to full health of a P64.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I luv happy endings!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

Glad to hear you got it working! Nothing like the frustrations & satisfactions of getting a clunker going. I bought a clunker & parts to piece together a $125 P64. Now I also have a few spare parts. Welcome to the P64 club!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Got any before and afters on that $125 parts P64? Would love to see them.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Glad you got it back in working order.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

There is one last issue I'm having... When I flip the safety off, the trigger bar doesn't always lift for a DA pull. At this point, I think I'll just have to polish the contact points and shave the channel in the grip out a little bit. I'll be ordering more 9x18, anyways.

I'd also be interested in seeing that parts gun you brought back to life.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

austinjoe13 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 9:27 am My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

There is one last issue I'm having... When I flip the safety off, the trigger bar doesn't always lift for a DA pull. At this point, I think I'll just have to polish the contact points and shave the channel in the grip out a little bit. I'll be ordering more 9x18, anyways.

Before all that, double check the Trigger Spring is working properly. That sounds more like a spring issue, as the Trigger Spring should be lifting the Trigger Bar into correct placement. I think Norm still has Trigger Springs here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

Weasel640 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm
austinjoe13 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 9:27 am My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

Before all that, double check the Trigger Spring is working properly. That sounds more like a spring issue, as the Trigger Spring should be lifting the Trigger Bar into correct placement. I think Norm still has Trigger Springs here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
Norm's spring has already been purchased and installed, as I posted above.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

austinjoe13 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Weasel640 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Norm's spring has already been purchased and installed, as I posted above.
Try the Trigger with the Slide off, if it functions 100% like that, it may be that you Disconnector needs adjusting/fitting. In some cases the Disconnector has to much material and will prevent the Trigger Bar from working properly.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.