Trigger reset

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Sirrus_Rider

Trigger reset

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

Just came back from shooting my '75 gun at the range. I discovered that it has a strange quirk. Occasionally when you put the gun in battery to fire single action and go to pull the trigger the sear sticks. You can pull the trigger all the way back but it will not trip the sear and fire the the gun, the hammer remains back. If you pull the trigger 2 to 3 times it will then reset and then fire often when you least expect it. Anybody got any suggestions as to what is going on and how I can correct it? The gun is wearing Polish iron V 5 grips and an 18 pound hammer spring. I find the single stage trigger pull okay (not overly light) with the set up; however, I can't trust this gun as concealed carry piece in its current state.
GuitarmanNick

Re: Trigger reset

Post by GuitarmanNick »

The problem is likely that the grip is rubbing on the trigger bar and keeping it from moving freely into position.

First, check to make sure your grip is installed properly. Look inside the magwell to check the fit.

Second, if the grip is installed properly, remove it and check the trigger bar. One of my P-64s had a bend in the trigger bar when I received it. A little pressure in the right spot and it straightened out just fine. If the trigger bar is straight, the next step is to place a small amount of rubber-safe grease on the inside of the grip where the trigger bar is catching. I place a small dab of grease on the trigger bar on mine and it works well.

I would not recommend using it as a CCW with that grip because it is common to have trigger reset problems when using it.

Most can learn to adjust their grip on the gun while firing and not have further issues, but it takes practice. When shooting, try to maintain an awareness of how tight you squeeze your hand on the grip. Relaxing the grip with your shooting hand usually cures the issue. When shooting, use your support hand to stabilize the gun and use less grip pressure on your shooting hand. With practice, you will find that your accuracy will also improve as you relax your shooting grip.

I am learning this technique can be applied to almost any handgun and improve my accuracy noticeably.

I recently upgraded to the V.05BT grip and had no issues with it on the reset of the trigger in 80 rounds before a blister made me call it a day.

Based on my experience with these grips, I would recommend the new V.07 style in a rigid material. Ross is still working out the details before releasing them from what I saw on his video.
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

GuitarmanNick wrote: April 28th, 2019, 8:16 am The problem is likely that the grip is rubbing on the trigger bar and keeping it from moving freely into position.

First, check to make sure your grip is installed properly. Look inside the magwell to check the fit.

Second, if the grip is installed properly, remove it and check the trigger bar. One of my P-64s had a bend in the trigger bar when I received it. A little pressure in the right spot and it straightened out just fine. If the trigger bar is straight, the next step is to place a small amount of rubber-safe grease on the inside of the grip where the trigger bar is catching. I place a small dab of grease on the trigger bar on mine and it works well.

I would not recommend using it as a CCW with that grip because it is common to have trigger reset problems when using it.

Most can learn to adjust their grip on the gun while firing and not have further issues, but it takes practice. When shooting, try to maintain an awareness of how tight you squeeze your hand on the grip. Relaxing the grip with your shooting hand usually cures the issue. When shooting, use your support hand to stabilize the gun and use less grip pressure on your shooting hand. With practice, you will find that your accuracy will also improve as you relax your shooting grip.

I am learning this technique can be applied to almost any handgun and improve my accuracy noticeably.

I recently upgraded to the V.05BT grip and had no issues with it on the reset of the trigger in 80 rounds before a blister made me call it a day.

Based on my experience with these grips, I would recommend the new V.07 style in a rigid material. Ross is still working out the details before releasing them from what I saw on his video.
I took the gun back to the range after applying some grease to the trigger bar. Ran 100% better. I also figured out (with your help) that my grip might have been contributing to the problem. Depending on how I was gripping the gun, my trigger finger was putting pressure on the grip right over the trigger bar. When this happened I got the exact failure that I had experienced before. The difference is now once I shifted my grip and lifted the flap over the trigger bar to relive the binding the gun fired on the next pull of the trigger.
20190507_164715.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I luv happy endings!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice shooting! Definitely Minute of Bad Guy.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Glad you got it running well. They do shoot nicely!