Front sight replacement

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
superc

Front sight replacement

Post by superc »

The factory sight on my P64s is so 20th century that being part Bubba I decided to modernize one of mine.

I removed the factory front sight and installed a Hi Viz Spark III fiber optic sight. The colors of the sight can be easily changed if so desired.
side by side
side by side
I changed the grips to wooden ones, I also lightened the trigger spring and I have an extended magazine release I will put in later.
Attachments
New sight picture
New sight picture
ready for travel
ready for travel
original configuration and as modified.
original configuration and as modified.
superc

Re: Front sight replacement

Post by superc »

Before anyone asks, yes the modification requires a non reversible Bubba type change.

The original front sight is ground off, then a size 31 drill is used to make a new hole in the slide at the desired place of placement. Then the hole is tapped with a #6 48 tap (I strongly suggest the hole be begun with a smaller size 50 drill, then enlarged as these slides are hard. Use a drill press and a vise to avoid pesky tap breakages). Then gently heat the slide to about 130 Fahrenheit and apply G96 cold blue. After that you can either screw in the new front sight and Locktite it, or as I did, screw the new front sight on then tig weld the screw in place from the underside of the frame.

I looked at a lot of sight designs before selecting the Hi Viz Spark III shotgun sight. It was the profile most appropriate for this model and size pocket pistol in my opinion.
Attachments
top of slide showing area with touch up blue after the grinding off of the original front sight.
top of slide showing area with touch up blue after the grinding off of the original front sight.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Perhaps it is the camera angles, but is it slightly left of center?
superc

Post by superc »

It is camera angle.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Very nice!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
superc

Post by superc »

I have an old Colt 1903 slide with zip/Nada/no historical significance as when I got it I got it parted from it's original pistol and with a badly pitted and rusty exterior. I had it polished down and the factory markings redone by an engraver, however they are not original stamps (just very well done copies), later I acquired a frame and got some internal parts via Numrich. My point is nothing is historic, just a Frankenstein Colt .32. Needless to say since this P64 project turned out so well I am thinking the Colt .32 slide is also a good candidate for the same treatment. A fiber optic sighted Colt 1903. LoL, stay tuned..
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Cool.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
jkucukov

Post by jkucukov »

This looks aesthetically good to the eye, when i looked up the Hi viz spark iii, what came up as a suggestion was "Williams Fire Sight Rear Sight Slide and Blade", what I was wondering if the rear key could be milled longitudinally in to the rear of the slide to fit a Williams type rear sight or something similar? Has anyone considered something similar to modernize the p64 rear sight, knowing there isn't much metal to play with on the slide it might be a very delicate job.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

VERY nice mods!
mb3

Post by mb3 »

I like your sight mod. I think the front sight on the P64 is it's only negative feature, they need to be a little more visible. Have you been to the range yet, I am curious about POI, and how well it points? I have a spare slide that might make a good candidate for a new front sight.
superc

Post by superc »

Where I live, I just go in my back or front yard and shoot as I wish. Neighbors are far enough away and I have hills and in most directions I own the land on the flight path. So no, this gun hasn't been to a formal range. HOWEVER, I have fired about 2 boxes of ammo through it since the mods were done and can not report any front sight related problems.
Regarding a change of the rear sight, I had initially considered altering or replacing the rear sight. I had an expectation the greater width of the front sight vs the original notch of the rear sight would cause an issue. I was thinking in terms of running a needle file through the rear sight notch to widen it, or simply replace the rear sight, however, at practical combat range, 5 - 15 yards that Hi Viz sight is really noticeable (see sight picture photo above) and I see no point to doing anything to the rear sight. For whatever reason on my pistol, with the new sight, at the ranges mentioned the bullet impacts close enough to what the front sight is covering that I see no issues.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

superc I did something almost identical a while back, see here:
http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewto ... 538#p43711
I opened up the rear sight notch with a small flat file just a scosh and found it was worth the time and effort for the results. Added a bit of blue with a touch up pen and the work is only visible if you look real careful. Yours look really good by the way.
superc

Post by superc »

Your pictures are 'unavailable' when I go to that link.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Check the June 11 posting I made on page 2 of that thread, there are pics.
superc

Post by superc »

Yes, I found it. Looks good. The nice thing about many of the Hi Viz shotgun sights is the ability to switch colors depending on our mood that day.
Regarding using epoxy to hold on a fiber optic sight.., don't. In my experience, sooner or later the epoxy fails under recoil and suddenly you have no front sight. Of course if your first shot was true, it won't matter much, but if you need a second shot, having a front sight is helpful.
On my own P64 the bottom of the steel sight screw is Tig welded to the inside of the slide. That in no way interferes with the ability to change rod colors as often as wished, but it also assures that sight carrier is there no matter how the gun is treated.