Safety broke, bought eBay CNC replacements

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
kwillindy

Safety broke, bought eBay CNC replacements

Post by kwillindy »

Not much choice, bought 2 of the CNC manufactured Safeties after mine broke. Will report back after installation. Anyone else here have experience with one of these SZKOLNY Safeties from “cruffler58” on eBay?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Safety broke, bought eBay CNC replacements

Post by Weasel640 »

Yes. A search of the forum before buying would have revealed that you could have save about $8 on your purchase. I notice last night that someone (I now know, you) bought two at full price.

They will possibly require some fitting.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6967&start=15
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

Thanks Weasel640. Thought I read this forum pretty thoroughly. All posts I read mentioned the Safety as a Unicorn, so I went ahead and bought ‘em. At least $8 won’t break the bank. Thanks for the link to Fitting Topic. We’ll see what comes in the mail.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Good luck. We await the outcome.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Nodakdad

Post by Nodakdad »

I see he has some firing pins as well that he had made. Would those be a prudent spare part to have on hand?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Nodakdad wrote: January 29th, 2019, 12:59 am I see he has some firing pins as well that he had made. Would those be a prudent spare part to have on hand?
Normally original Firing Pins can be found. Also have not seen many reports of them breaking so less likely to be needed.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Nodakdad

Post by Nodakdad »

10-4, thank you sir
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

Installed the replacement safety. Fit, form, and function all seem fine. Installed like the original. Moves easily and both detents have a good snap. The detents do look a bit different than the original, more of a slot or groove than an “eye” shape. I tried to gouge one out a bit more with a file but not much luck. Works great. Glad I bought them.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

They are all gone now.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Another guy in Poland is selling originals right for on Ebay for 50 dollars.

A bit steep if you ask me. But I'd pay if mine busted, that's for sure.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

One left.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Mercs

Post by Mercs »

How prone to breakage is the safety on these guns? Seems like a lot of folks are wanting to have spares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Can't be sure but if you can find a spare get one.

Better to have one and not need it that to need one and not have it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Mercs wrote: April 20th, 2019, 7:43 am How prone to breakage is the safety on these guns? Seems like a lot of folks are wanting to have spares
The main issue is availability of the part.

I have never encountered a break of my Safety. However if you search the Forum you'll find that every few months someone will come on reporting that their Safety has broken. I have three schools of thought on this, and all three if true could have compounded on each other; 1) Possibly there was a bad batch of Safeties (could be in the thousands) that were manufactured and assembled. 2) Remember, these are surplus Pistols, they were uses by Police and Military alike, many could have be abused and significantly weekend by "Dry Fire" and other training over decades of use. 3) Their new/current owners could have abused and significantly weekend by "Dry Fire" and other training...

That said, again it really does not come up that often... BUT when it does come up there are NOT Safeties available. They are not like springs, you can't just substitute something else in. Safeties only come up about ever 6+ months. When they do often times there are not enough to go around, and/or the seller is asking a pretty high price. A few years ago you could have a Safety for $35 or less, whereas now $45++ is the new normal. So when they do come up, especially at lower costs people jump all over them.
Weasel