Wolff 18 lb Hammer Spring dangerous

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
kwillindy

Wolff 18 lb Hammer Spring dangerous

Post by kwillindy »

Bought the whole springs kit. 17,18,19,20 lb Reduced Power Hammer Springs to replace factory 24lb spring. So far, wow, the 18 is a dangerous hair trigger in my 1972! A couple of unintentional firings (safely downrange) It is much lighter when range live firing than it felt when I dry fired it to test after replacement. Will move up to the 19 or 20 lb spring and try again. DA pull was lighter with the 18, have to see what the 19 or 20 brings to both SA and DA.
Also swapped orig 18 lb Recoil Spring for a 20 lb Extra Power. And replaced Firing Pin Spring with one Extra Power that came in the kit. Can’t tell much difference with these 2. Any thoughts or experiences?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Wolff 18 lb Hammer Spring dangerous

Post by Weasel640 »

This is why they sell the multi weight, calibration kit. On mine the 18 lb one is perfect, but the 17 lb one produces light strikes. There have been countless threads discussing this.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

The first P-64 that I got from Classic was miserable on DA and had a nice SA trigger. After some experimentation, I ended up with the Wolff Xtra power 22 lb. recoil/firing pin springs and a 19 lb. hammer spring to get it much improved and still reliable. Like you, I experienced the "hair trigger" and opted for something a little less touchy. This one also wears the PolishIron v.05 Grips and is a pleasure to shoot. Soon, I hope to upgrade this pistol to the v.07 grips.

The last P-64 that I got from Classic was sweet on both SA and DA with the original springs. Test fired it and the recoil was not bad at all. It functioned perfectly and since it feels much like my other P-64 when shooting, I see no need to replace any springs in this one. Eventually, my plan is to install the v.05 grips from my first gun on this gun and store it in one of my 9 x 18 Mak ammo cans. This one is absolutely beautiful and is well wrapped to protect it's finish.

Although they are the same year production, both completely refurbished, and only 416 apart in serial numbers, they were totally different in the original trigger feel. Now on the gauge, they both read 3.0 lbs. on SA and feel about the same on DA. I also polished the hammer and sear mating surfaces lightly and to insure a smooth pull and clean, break on both of these guns.

I am thankful for companies like Wolff that produce springs for these old classics and others. They have helped me get a few old pieces working like new and turned one of my P-64s a very nice shooter. I doubt that the Polish ever intended it to shoot as sweetly as it does now. I can get back on target for follow up shots very quickly and my groups with both guns are quite nice.

Many complain about how snappy these little guns are and some can be down right unpleasant to shoot. If you invest a little time and a fairly small amount of money, you can end up with a real joy to shoot. From what I am seeing, there is no single setup that will work in all of them. Each gun is an individual and will need to be tuned as such.
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

:lol: Thanks, GuitarmanNick, for a great summary of your personal Wolff Spring experiences. Please share your thoughts on v5 vs v7 when your new Polish Iron Grips arrive. I’m curious how v7 Beavertail-Yes and Finger Grooves-No compare to the opposite on the v5 grips.
superc

Post by superc »

What I found with the 17 pounder was under recoil the magazine release would shift (since both use the same spring) and the magazine would fall out. However, when I switched to the 19 pounder that problem vanished.
:)
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

I moved it to the 19lb spring and that seems to be the best for mine. Thanks!
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

I kept the stock hammer spring because the SA with it is perfect, around 3 pounds and crisp. The DA is 24 but I don't care much. I did put in a 22# recoil spring and a new firing pin spring, both function very well, but can't feel difference.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx