Magazines for new owners

Info, pictures, advice...
Sirrus_Rider

Magazines for new owners

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

It seems that the ready supply of OEM/Surplus magazines has dried up. Does anyone have any experience with the newly manufactured "United Defense" magazines?? They seem to be the only game in town at the moment ..
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Magazines for new owners

Post by Ketchman »

See my post on the Classic Firearms page.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

Ketchman Can you send me a link to your post??

Thanks!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

It is the Classic Firearms flash sale thread. Basically I found one on Gunbroker 10 minutes ago for $19.00 and 4 on ebay, and there are probly more, and 3of them were under $25.00. And $25 was the cheapest you could get them for a long time. So jump quick and get em quick for they are gone.
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

Ketchman: The ones on Gunbroker at $19 are the "United Defense" Everything else is OEM/Surplus at $35 and above. My question is are these United Defense mags any good?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

No idea. But the ones on ebay were listed as oem
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

The United Defense mags are made by Keepshooting. They have had a spotty record for quality. But I have not heard of anyone buying them recently so there have been no recent reviews so maybe they have gotten their poop in a group and making decent mags.
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

I guess I'll take one for the team, buy one and report back.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

You could always pop the extra bucks for the oem ones. 2 for $65.00 aint too bad right now.
But if you do buy one of the United Defense mags please report back on how it works. A bunch of people here have been wondering if they have gotten better.
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

Ketchman wrote: October 13th, 2018, 1:09 am You could always pop the extra bucks for the oem ones. 2 for $65.00 aint too bad right now.
But if you do buy one of the United Defense mags please report back on how it works. A bunch of people here have been wondering if they have gotten better.
Fortune favors the bold. I also own an R-51 Gen 2 so I guess I am a sucker for punishment :oops: :evilgrin: With as many P-64s now in the wild someone is going to have to step up and make some quality magazines or bring more of them in.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Problem there is there is a very limited supply of mags to be had. And considering that these pistols have been imported now for the last 8-10 years, it is possible that perhaps Keep Shooting may be the only ones to step up and make some.
Let us know how they work please.
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

Received my one United Defense mag today. The overall build quality is no worse than the original mag. When I squeeze the feed lips I get minimal to no flex. This is true of the mag body as well The problem is the front of the mag is not cut deep enough which prevents the magazine from seating. It could be that the mags where built with later guns in mind where this cut on the magazine isn't as deep (Mine is a '68 gun)
20181016_202135.jpg
Is it useable? It can be with some file work or the use of a dremel. In the correct year gun it may just pop right in.
20181016_211739.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I bet modding it so the cut is deeper would work. How are you with tools? :mrgreen:
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

Ketchman wrote: October 16th, 2018, 11:08 pm I bet modding it so the cut is deeper would work. How are you with tools? :mrgreen:
Beat you to it. I have a file and I was able to file the feed lips back enough to work. Dremel probably would have been faster and kept things more square if I had had one.

It fits and will go into the gun in a hurry. Extracting it is another story. To pull it out you have to give the magazine catch a very determined thumb so that it is fully disengaged and get your pointer finger around the pinky rest of the magazine and pull with authority.

It seems to be getting easier the more I work with it though.. Since ordering this mag a trio of original Polish mags came up for bid on ebay and I scored them for $25-26 apiece.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice work. So, 3 new mags for carry and a modded one for range work. Let us know how the mags functions please. And again congrats for initiative.