I just bought a broken P64...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
austinjoe13

I just bought a broken P64...

Post by austinjoe13 »

We had a broken P-64 in our back room at work, and I found it was marked at $20 for employee purchase only. I figured if I can't fix it, it would look cool on a shelf.

The safety lever is broken in half, much like that of one I saw in an earlier thread. I see they're hard to come by. I am curious if anyone knows of a source with them, or if it is even safe to shoot in this condition. I would ONLY be using this as a range gun. I am not going to trust my life to it in this state. I have other handguns I carry. This is simply a pleasure gun. I might try to solder it back together and keep it in the 'fire' position.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Like I said before, I just want this thing to shoot at the range.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum,

The safeties show up occasionally on ebay or Gunbroker.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And NO it is NOT safe to fire in that condition. You may possibly find a smith that will weld it back together and reshape it for proper function but DO NOT fire it in it's current condition.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I did not see these posts until after I went to the range with a few guns this morning. I test fired the pistol with my bow target between it and my face. My biggest fear was the lever coming loose, but it stayed. For anyone finding this in the future, I'm not saying do what I did.

The decocker bar seems to disengage the trigger after each shot.

Also, do all P-64's chuck brass 20-30ft away?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

austinjoe13 wrote: April 19th, 2018, 10:57 pmAlso, do all P-64's chuck brass 20-30ft away?
yes

For the price you got this at you'll still be getting a good deal if you just go ahead and pick up a "gun smith special" that has a good safety. Choose the one with the lesser finish to be a parts gun.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

Weasel640 wrote: April 19th, 2018, 11:56 pm
austinjoe13 wrote: April 19th, 2018, 10:57 pmAlso, do all P-64's chuck brass 20-30ft away?
yes

For the price you got this at you'll still be getting a good deal if you just go ahead and pick up a "gun smith special" that has a good safety. Choose the one with the lesser finish to be a parts gun.
I'll keep an eye out for a deal. I contacted Century Arms, and I was told to send it in and they'll see what they can do with it.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I finally found a safety online and should have it soon. I'll be on a fishing trip when it gets here, so I won't have it together for a couple weeks. Then, I'll just have to find some ammo to test everything out.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I was able to install the new safety today. Now, I just need to find or order ammo.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Excellent, glad you found one. Try Sportsmans Guide for ammo, they always have a decent selection of 9x18.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I luv happy endings!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I found some S&B 9x18 today, so I got two boxes. 25 rounds fired flawlessly, though one time the slide didn't lock back on the last round. It's only going to be an occasional shooter for me, so it doesn't bother me at all. Now, I just need to get a grip sleeve to take the sting out of shooting this piece!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

You need a Polish Iron grip. The Bomb for this pistol.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I just ordered Wolff recoil and hammer spring packs. We'll see what happens.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Just trust us, get the Polish Irom grip. We all got the spring packs and a large number of us bought the grip too.
austinjoe13

Post by austinjoe13 »

I will probably get it, I just can't right now. I'll get the extended mag catch package when I do.

I have a small holster that I bought for an XDs-9, but I'll be able to stitch it up to fit the P64 perfectly. Then, I'll need to find an extra mag.