Trigger Hinge Pin Replacement

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Trigger Hinge Pin Replacement

Post by Ketchman »

ok, if the pin is only supposed to go in from one side then the thinner end goes in first. And you need to make sure that the alignment of trigger and frame holes are perfect as ANY misalignment will keep the pin from going through. AND it MAY be possible that a small, very very small amount of fitting, ie slimming the pin down may be required. Anyone with a bit.more smithing experience out there, can you confirm or deny that last please?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

I'm having difficulty just getting it past the hole in the frame. If I can get past that I could probably (gently) tap it the rest of the way.

I certainly hope it doesn't require the use of a rotary...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I found this post on Gunboards:

Nov 08, 2009 · #27
P64 Trigger Guard Hinge Pin
I thought I'd post this here for general information.

I picked up my P64 from lay away at a local Gander Mountain three weeks ago. While giving it a thorough inspection and cleaning I discovered that the trigger guard hinge pin was broken; the right half of the pin was missing.

Although the gun is under warranty from GM, I knew that the newly hired gunsmith has a huge backlog of work, so I called the importer, IO Inc (Gunboards sponsor) to see about getting the pin to speed things up a bit. I was quickly connected to David Moses, who advised me that the pin could be provided; it would come from a parts gun. (He also said that spare parts were coming from Poland, but did not know when they would be available.) David told me that I could replace the pin using a punch or drift.

The pin arrived, and decided to try installing it myself.

First, I measured each end of the pin. One end is slightly thicker than the other. I suspected this was the case since the the left side seems to be the side that binds the pin in place. I punched out the remaining part of the pin, and left the punch in place as a slave pin. I then carefully inserted the thinner end of the pin from the left side. I could not get the pin beyond the right of the trigger guard even with jiggling the slave pin.

Leaving the punch in place, I placed the frame in a vise (I used some wood scraps as pads) with the barrel receiver against the fixed jaw of the vise and the trigger guard against the moveable jaw. When it was secure, I removed the punch and observed the hole in the frame and the trigger guard. By tightening the vise I compressed the trigger guard so the holes lined up. The pin then went in easily through the trigger guard and I seated it with a brass punch.
I.hope this helps some.
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

Here's what I'm dealing with:

https://imgur.com/a/46lFl

Yes I used tape to compress the hinge spring. Not ideal but it doesn't move at least.

Measuring the head gives a reading of .170 which seems too large considering the hole, which I measured to be somewhere around .955 or so.

Ketchman: I sincerely appreciate you going through all the trouble. I tried inserting the thinner head from the left hand side but couldn't make any headway.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Sorry I have not helped. Personally I would go to a smith with this.
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

That's fine, thanks. I'll do some more research before admitting defeat.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

just take it to a smith and get it done
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IIRC Norms post was about compressing the barrel and frame in a vise to get it to go out so I would think the install would be the same procedure.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

I can certainly see the value in compression to insert be pin fully. Unfortunately I can't seem to push it past the initial hole in the frame.

I met the same resistance without or without the trigger guard in place.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

I'm not sure why my previous reply did not post.

Tape won't cut it.

Easiest way is with a vise. Here are just a couple of the many references to the vise working:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4702&p=45097&hilit= ... ard#p45097

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2691&p=28988&hilit= ... ard#p28988

If you don't have a vise you can try wire almost like a tourniquet. Or get a hose clamp at the hardware store:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5010&p=47270&hilit= ... ble#p47270
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

FOF11 wrote: February 6th, 2018, 11:22 am I can certainly see the value in compression to insert be pin fully. Unfortunately I can't seem to push it past the initial hole in the frame.

Was the Trigger Guard Plunger still in the Frame both times?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

Weasel640 wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:16 pm
FOF11 wrote: February 6th, 2018, 11:22 am I can certainly see the value in compression to insert be pin fully. Unfortunately I can't seem to push it past the initial hole in the frame.

Was the Trigger Guard Plunger still in the Frame both times?
Appreciate the links. Looks like my tools and/or technique is lacking.

I'm not sure I understand your question unfortunately. The trigger guard plunger was not in place when I initially checked to see if the pin would fit through the hole in the frame. I did not have the trigger guard, trigger guard spring or trigger guard plunger in place during this check. It was merely for checking size, which I found the pin to be slightly larger in diameter than the hole.

After placing the trigger guard spring, trigger guard plunger and trigger guard in place with a slave pin, I used tape to secure the trigger guard, removed the slave pin (just a nail I had), and attempted to drive the pin in again with the same result. It seems slightly oversized for the hole. I checked using the smaller head and left side of the frame without additional success.

I hope this was helpful.
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

Probably my last follow up on this.

I found a local gunsmith to pop it in for me, only $25. He had to shave 8/1000 off the pin to make it fit, but it's now snug and functions great. Very happy to have this pistol complete again.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

NICE! Glad your back up and running.