Weird Mis FIre

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Palmer Pastor

Weird Mis FIre

Post by Palmer Pastor »

New to the page but love my P64. Have shot many rounds through it. I recently took it to the range with some friends. We shot it a few times then the slide stuck open. Thats when I found out the slide stays open with a empty magazine after joining this page that is. Thanks for the help. But since then the pistol only fires when I hold it upside down. Its kind of movie gangsterish but not what Im looking for. Any ideas?
mosinmike

Re: Weird Mis FIre

Post by mosinmike »

First thing I can think of would be bad springs in the magazine.
Palmer Pastor

Post by Palmer Pastor »

I could see that except with or without the magazine in the pistol will not fire in normal shooting position. There is no trigger action unless the pistol is upside down then the trigger works fine, double and single action.
nerillosa

Post by nerillosa »

I just got my P-64 yesterday.
That happened to me too after I pressed the trigger while the pistol was disassembled. What was happening is that the trigger bar had gotten loose and gravity was setting it downwards when the gun was upright. What keeps the trigger bar snug in the upper channel is the trigger spring. You need to lift the end of the trigger spring and pull/push it over the trigger bar so that it will pull it upwards and counteract gravity. After trying unsuccessfully many times to fix it, I decided to remove the ejector (and its wire spring) from the other side of the pistol and nudge the trigger spring over the trigger bar from the opening left by the ejector. This worked and now the trigger is working fine. Of course, you need to put the ejector and spring back in place. You have to be VERY careful when removing/installing the ejector and spring as the spring tends to fly into oblivion if you don't pay attention.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I use a big plastic bag for disassembly and assembly of spring loaded parts.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

nerillosa wrote:I just got my P-64 yesterday.
That happened to me too after I pressed the trigger while the pistol was disassembled. What was happening is that the trigger bar had gotten loose and gravity was setting it downwards when the gun was upright. What keeps the trigger bar snug in the upper channel is the trigger spring. You need to lift the end of the trigger spring and pull/push it over the trigger bar so that it will pull it upwards and counteract gravity. After trying unsuccessfully many times to fix it, I decided to remove the ejector (and its wire spring) from the other side of the pistol and nudge the trigger spring over the trigger bar from the opening left by the ejector. This worked and now the trigger is working fine. Of course, you need to put the ejector and spring back in place. You have to be VERY careful when removing/installing the ejector and spring as the spring tends to fly into oblivion if you don't pay attention.
I agree with all you are saying as far as the problem but I think you mean the "slide stop". The flat part that is spring-loaded to rise when hit by an empty magazine is not the ejector. This might could be a little confusing because elsewhere there are instructions on how to remove the slide stop and/or replace that spring (which, co-incidentally, is available from forum member Norm Sutton as well as a trigger spring) so that might make it a bit easier. There are pictures and even a video, I believe.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IIRC like the PA63 the slide stop acts as the ejector also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:IIRC like the PA63 the slide stop acts as the ejector also.
I defer to your experience, sir. I guess I learned something. Thanks! :hi:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
FOF11

Post by FOF11 »

Hate to resurrect an old thread but the P64 I recently purchased is having the exact same issue. The trigger free floats, but will engage if held at certain angles, mostly upside down. I stripped it and checked my trigger bar, which seems to be the source of my issue. See the following pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/qi9p4

Pistol seems to function normally if I move the bar up into position. Am I missing a piece? Seems like something should be providing tension to the bar to keep it up but I'm unsure. Sorry but this is my first surplus pistol so amateur gunsmithing is new to me, and I'm having some trouble with the parts guide and manuals on this forum.

Also, my trigger bar simply falls out if I hold the pistol with the bar facing down and shaking the pistol, is that typical?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

FOF11 wrote: January 15th, 2018, 2:16 pm Hate to resurrect an old thread but the P64 I recently purchased is having the exact same issue. The trigger free floats, but will engage if held at certain angles, mostly upside down. I stripped it and checked my trigger bar, which seems to be the source of my issue. See the following pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/qi9p4

Pistol seems to function normally if I move the bar up into position. Am I missing a piece? Seems like something should be providing tension to the bar to keep it up but I'm unsure. Sorry but this is my first surplus pistol so amateur gunsmithing is new to me, and I'm having some trouble with the parts guide and manuals on this forum.

Also, my trigger bar simply falls out if I hold the pistol with the bar facing down and shaking the pistol, is that typical?
I replied to this here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3344

Will post the fix below again so others don't have to change threads if they find this later.

Your Trigger Bar looks fine in the pictures you have posted. The Trigger "free floating" is an issue with the Trigger Spring. A replacement is available here with instructions from our very own Norm Sutton. This Trigger Spring is better than the Original. Look about half way down this page: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php

Also these are really helpful when trying to solve/fix any issues:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.