P-64 grips and spring changes

Info, pictures, advice...
coalgeo

P-64 grips and spring changes

Post by coalgeo »

Just changed out to Polishiron grips and extend magazine release, a Wolff 18 lb. hammer spring, and a new Wolff factory standard recoil spring. I did not install the firing pin spring that came with the recoil spring - yet. Should I do that?
Just curious what you folks do in this regard.
Greg
OG17

Re: P-64 grips and spring changes

Post by OG17 »

:hi: Welcome the forum.
I didn't change the FP spring when I did the same set up as yours. I have since reverted back to the stock springs on mine. The PI grips are nice but he has a new set of grips coming out I'm interested in seeing.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I reinstalled the stock recoil and firing pin springs in mine, too. I was having issues with rounds not being fully chambered so I would have to push the slide a bit sometimes before I could fire the gun. Stock springs took care of that issue!
coalgeo

Post by coalgeo »

When I ordered the recoil spring from Wolff I bought two - one the 'standard' and the other the extra weight spring. It will be interesting.
Thank you for your responses.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

When I was updating the P64 pistols I had, I changed the FP spring along with the recoil and hammer springs. I figured that after 40 or so years, they'd put in their time! Since the spring came with the recoil spring, I just did it to do it. I'd guess it's not critical but as long as you have the spring and an unassembled pistol ... why not?!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
coalgeo

Post by coalgeo »

I shot the pistol on Saturday and what a joy with the Polishiron grips and the reduced weight hammer spring. Single pull is a bit light but at present I am not using this pistol for concealed carry. May change to a heavier hammer spring if that changes. No issues whatsoever although I think I will change out the firing pin spring to the new one.