What did you carry today?

Info, pictures, advice...
OnTop

Re: What did you carry today?

Post by OnTop »

OG17 wrote::hi: Welcome aboard OT. Glad to have you join the P64 Brotherhood. Nice looking P64 you have there and with the Polish Iron grips as well. May want to consider the extended mag release if you don't have it already. BTW, I also have the Gen 3 G19 and it's one of my carry options.

:hi:

Thanks for the suggestion on the extended mag release (should be a nice addition). However, I don't see any need for it since I might just shoot a few mags with it and to the safe like many others. It will not be use for ccw since I don't ever see the need to replace my G19 (if yes, it will be with another G19) for EDC and as backup, I really prefer my Kahr CW380 as my current backup piece.

OT
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum OT
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OnTop

Post by OnTop »

Curly1 wrote:Welcome to the forum OT
:hi:

OT
superc

Post by superc »

I just cut up a downed tree in my East meadow. I wore a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 in a kydex holster for that task.
superc

Post by superc »

Mostly a well used (about 4k rounds through it so far) LC9, but also in the afternoon when doing some chainsawing in the woods, a CA Bulldog .44 (an early Bridgeport variant).
Terminatorret

Post by Terminatorret »

In backwards history...Today, I carried a Walther PPK/S .380 (FMJ) in a Galco shoulder holster (trip to town). Yesterday, I carried a NAA .22lr mini (Yellow Jackets) to my eye doctor visit (don't tell anyone). Monday, I carried a Ruger .357 LCR (stoked with LSWCHP .38 +P) in my right front Wranglers pocket to the grocery store. Sunday, I carried a Diamondback DB380 (FMJ) in a Galco ankle lite holster (to church...don't tell anyone). Saturday, I carried a P64 (FMJ) in a Russian leather shoulder holster... and so on.
I'm not bragging about the selection of guns I own/carry. I'm just saying that in my "silver years", I have options that I have acquired over the years.
In the morning, I look at the calendar, get dressed, then find something that fits.
If I could only have one handgun, it would be a .38/.357 snub nose revolver (no safety, no magazine, just squeeze the trigger).
If I could only have one pistol, it would be a cold war 9x18 (FMJ)...RELIABILITY, ACCURACY and SIMPLICITY trumps caliber and manufacturer.
If I had to choose one irrespective of concealed carry restrictions, It would be my Ruger .357 SAA Blackhawk...but that's hard to conceal in church, the Dr's office, McDonalds, etc. What a sweet shooter.
I spent 20+ years in the USMC and swore by the .45, but now it's all about reliability, shot placement and penetration...not about caliber nor round capacity.
I prefer all steel weapons. I prefer simplicity over hype. Thus, American revolvers and Soviet steel jump to the top of my list. But, sometimes an itty-bitty polymer pistols have their place (DB380...which has been 100% reliable for me).
Carry what you can conceal for the occasion...then, get proficient with it...then carry...ALWAYS.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Terminatorret that was well defined. Thank you and well done sir.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

Terminatorret wrote:...but now it's all about reliability, shot placement and penetration...not about caliber nor round capacity.
I prefer all steel weapons. I prefer simplicity over hype. Thus, American revolvers and Soviet steel jump to the top of my list. But, sometimes an itty-bitty polymer pistols have their place (DB380...which has been 100% reliable for me).
Carry what you can conceal for the occasion...then, get proficient with it...then carry...ALWAYS.
Not that I would suggest it for conceal, but have you tried the Tokarev's out? With all of what you listed they seem right up your alley. I prefer the 7.62x25 ones to the 9mm para ones that are made now. Not to mention they're pretty inexpensive, aside from the East German or Russian made ones. Reason I wouldn't ever suggest for conceal is that the 7.62x25 FMJ has too much penetration in my opinion and hollow points are either not easy to come by or they don't feed well.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok. I started this thread in February when it was snowing and very cold. And although we had 3 more inches of snow (welcome to wyoming :lol: ) a week ago, for the most part the weather has warmed up a lot and people are wearing much lighter clothing but some heavier jackets are still seen. And because of this you will now find a variety of sidearms tucked in my holster on any given day, such as Star PD, Star BM, Firestar in both 9 and .45, P64, Bresa Thunder in .380, a Llama IIIA in .380, or maybe my Kel Tec PF 9. I am a thinner build so with lighter clothing comes the need for more compact weapons as I have a hard time concealing a full size pistol. I tend to stick to 9's and .45's but will carry .380' / 9x18 when concealment is the main issue when dressing for the outside world. And I recently picked up an Astra A75 in 9mm, something I have wanted for a long time and will definetly be in my carry rotation but is has a quirky sear and I will not carry it until I get that issue excorcised. How has the change in seasons changed your carry rotation?
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I have only one season - Summer. So weather has absolutely no effect on my carry options. So there.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

SMC-918 in OWB holster under a T-shirt works well now.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Terminatorret

Post by Terminatorret »

I have considered and in fact own two 7.65x25...a CZ52 and a Zastava M57. I keep the CZ52 in my truck (ferrel hogs and other critters). The M57 stays in the house, but would be much more appropriate for CC than the CZ52. Great firearms, superior round when it comes to penetration. By the way, the magazines for both are interchangeable but you have to file a notch in the CZ52 mags for them to work in the M57 (or is it visa-vera?). Whatever, all mine now have the appropriate notch for interchangeability.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I forgot to note one on my carry rotation listing and how I forgot my Cz 82 I do not know but I carry that often as well now that clothing ia lighter. There is something to be said for 14 rounds of 9x18 on tap with another 13 in the wings. I too like the 7.62x25 round but do not have a sidearm so chambered...........yet.
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

Terminatorret wrote:I have considered and in fact own two 7.65x25...a CZ52 and a Zastava M57. I keep the CZ52 in my truck (ferrel hogs and other critters). The M57 stays in the house, but would be much more appropriate for CC than the CZ52. Great firearms, superior round when it comes to penetration. By the way, the magazines for both are interchangeable but you have to file a notch in the CZ52 mags for them to work in the M57 (or is it visa-vera?). Whatever, all mine now have the appropriate notch for interchangeability.
Glad to hear you like yours, I keep meaning to get the wood grips from Marschall's grips to match my p-64. They make a world of difference and they don't ruin the look of the gun either.
Ketchman wrote:I forgot to note one on my carry rotation listing and how I forgot my Cz 82 I do not know but I carry that often as well now that clothing ia lighter. There is something to be said for 14 rounds of 9x18 on tap with another 13 in the wings. I too like the 7.62x25 round but do not have a sidearm so chambered...........yet.
The moment you see one under 300 snatch one up, they're a blast. Getting used to gripping it is interesting given the angle and that you can't get your hand as high up on it as I'd like, but damn is it fun to shoot.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok boys and girls, I have now added a sidearm to my carry rotation, my new / old Astra A-75. All steel but fairly light, single stack 9mm. 8 in the mag with one up the spout, ambi decocker in place of the safety. Think Sig P-239 and you have the size and shape almost perfect, in fact I would not be surprised if Sig was looking at this pistol when they designed the 239 they look that much alike. Currently toted around in an Uncle Mikes IWB number 5, but looking for a decent leather envelope.
And Happy Fathers Day to all of our Fathers! :hi: