Trimming the brass

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
rvenneman

Trimming the brass

Post by rvenneman »

I am having a hell of a time with my first attempt to trim 9mm brass to 9x18 .
I have the Makarov trim die for my loader and the Manual cutter and the drill mounted cutter. Each one gives me no constant results. The instructions say trim to I hear no more cutting. I don't hear anything. I trim until I see the adjusting dial touch the die. One time I get .699, sometimes I get .712, and other times something in the middle.

Does anyone have a system I can put the brass in a holder and cut it with consistent results?

I like Lee stuff but I am very frustrated with the system I use.

I need help!!
themoose

Re: Trimming the brass

Post by themoose »

I use Lyman case trimmer with drill adapter and carbide cutter head. Only have done 100+, but easy and repeatable results
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

So you use a specific cutter for the 9x18 ? I had the Lee die but results were sporadic.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

, I have used that new lee trim die system , at first it work good use it to make 300 black outs , but after about 500 cases the cutter wore out , so gave it to a friend, he bought a new cutter for , and use it for awhile , I don't think he is using it now ,
for most cases that I form I use a form trim die , made by C&H

for the 9 X 18 I use this , its been the fastest and the easiest way for me , to get the case length I have one of those lee trim gage's , I trim one case ,to get the length , use that case to set up my lyman trimmer ,
then I start trimming,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage