Don't go too light on your Wolff Spring

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
superc

Don't go too light on your Wolff Spring

Post by superc »

I tested the Wolff 17 pound spring set. Yes, it reduced the single action pull (as well as the double) to about 2 3/4 pounds. I find that too light for safe usage. Hair triggers can cause unintentional discharges in a fight. A second annoying feature of the too light spring is that under recoil it dropped the magazine. I video'd the test and it is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izpr129QLeQ
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Don't go too light on your Wolff Spring

Post by Ketchman »

That result has been seen before by others here, Curly most notably and changing to the 18lb (?) spring solved the issue I believe. I use the 17lb spring and have never had the mag drop.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 been there.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
superc

Post by superc »

From gun to gun we approach variables such as magazine release fit, tightness of the pin, etc. All of which impact on a prediction of will this gun or that gun drop the magazine if we use a 17 pound spring. In the above video we clearly see that for THAT gun, 17 pounds is too light for combat use. The purpose of the video was to ensure the 17 pound spring had enough energy to set off a primer and also determine trigger effect. Dropping of the magazine IS sufficiently problematic so none of my P64s will get a 17 pound spring, even if I were to look and find one that did not drop the magazine during a test. Loosely summed up the vvideo proves that a 17 pound spring can indeed drop the magazine in some pistols. I would not be comfortable with one simply because the failure of the 17 pound equipped pistol to drop the magazine at the range is not proof positive it won't at a bad time on a future date. So 18 or 19 pounders for all of my P64s.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

It's been well established that the 17 Lb Hammer Spring in 'most' cases cause light strikes, Mag Drops, Unsafe Hair Single Action Triggers, as well as many other issues.

I always advise against the 17 Lb spring. I suggest the 'Calibration Pak' that comes with a 18, 19, and 20 Lb spring. That way the user can put in what works best for that P-64.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Let me clarify that it was the 22lb recoil spring that caused my mag drop problem and was resolved by going back to the stock spring.

I still have a lighter hammer spring but do not know which one as the previous owner changed it and did not remember which one he installed.

I still have the stock hammer spring also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Sorry Curly, my bad on stating your setup wrong. Glad you set us straight.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I tried all the spring set ups that Wolff has to offer and reverted back to the stock set up. Like superc, I also felt/feel that the SA action was too light for comfort. Since I've gone back to the stock set up I still don't like the lightness of the SA for me to comfortably carry the P64. Maybe I need to shoot 1K rounds with it before I get the hang of it.

Yes Ketch, I'm hanging on to it for now. I even put in a new extractor & extractor plunger because of FTE issues.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

NP Ketch I missed it the first time when I responded then it kinda sunk in later on what I did to resolve it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks Curly. Og17 I am glad to hear your gonna keep it and let us know if the extractor change solve the issue. I for one am interested as your problem with that was a head scratcher.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

OG17 wrote:I tried all the spring set ups that Wolff has to offer and reverted back to the stock set up. Like superc, I also felt/feel that the SA action was too light for comfort ... I still don't like the lightness of the SA for me to comfortably carry the P64.
Why? If you don't carry with the gun cocked, you have an 18# or higher (I do NOT recommend the 17# spring for reasons others posted...) trigger pull to contend with. That, IMO, is sufficient for some margin of safety for carry. Load a round in the chamber, decock and reill and insert a full mag. Put the decocker back on to act as a safety ... or not, to your choice. 18# plus is a reasonably stiff pull to give you some comfort. :wink:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

What OG is concerned with is if he has to use the weapon for "social purposes" then the second shot would be with the very light SA and when your all juiced up on adrenaline it could be very very easy to launch an unintended round someplace.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

robhic - Ketch has it right. I carry all my guns with decocker/safety (Bersa 383DA/383A/83, FEG MK II, Bulgarian/Hungarian/Polish Maks) with one in the chamber and decocked with safety on. The 1st pull is the decocked DA and the 2nd is the SA. But the SA on the above mentioned are not nearly as light as the P64's. They have more trigger tension than the P64. The 64's is like a hair trigger, so it's not something I'm not comfortable having in a juiced up scenario. Even the ones with the decocker w/o safety (Sig P230SL, CZ 75 BD, CZ 75 D Compact PCR) the SA is not nearly as light as the 64's. Again, they have some resistance before the break.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

There seems to be significant variation gun to gun with the P-64. Speaking for my pistol, the stock DA trigger pull was in excess of 30 lbs. and the SA came in around 6. Changing out to the Wolff 18/22 set-up, my DA is right around 20 and SA about 5... same as most striker fire pistols and heavier than some of my hammer fire semis, so it does not worry me to carry it. Clearly your mileage may vary depending on your specific pistol. One thing that I find irritating, and this was true with the stock springs as well as the Wolff springs, I wonder if others have experienced this? Is that the trigger reset is in a different place along the travel plane with each shot. sometimes it resets quickly and short like a P-38, sometimes it has to travel nearly back to "neutral" before it resets. Not ideal.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I would think that if your trigger group is properly installed and working correcrly that the reset point should never change. Mine does not. I would reccommend having that looked at. Immediatly.