Post by OG17 »

rvenneman wrote:
OG17 wrote:80's and sunny
95 here in Yuma :D
Yes, but do you have a sea breeze? :P :mrgreen:
rvenneman

Re: Don't change the springs.

Post by rvenneman »

No, we have a sand breeze... but the humidity is around 15%, which is good for these old bones....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Oddly, the P-64 passed a California (required for import there) drop safety test- at least so I read somewhere. Go figure. In general, I avoid dropping my weapon by using safe and sane handling practices. (Yes, of course accidents can happen. Calculated risk is a fact of life.) That in mind, If it so happens that I drop it while attempting to draw it in the use of defending my own life... wether or not it goes bang when it hits the deck is really about the least of my worries at that moment.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice situation assessment.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

I just picked up a copy of a magazine called military surplus, specifically because it had a rather nice article on the P64. It went into some detail on the stiff da trigger, and the reasoning behind it. I t seems the d signers were concerned with ad' s (or if you prefer negligent discharge ) in addition it was to handle the heavy strike required on the Communist bloc ammunition that had berdan primers. But it was never expected to quite have the heavy pole that it has the designers we're hoping for someplace around 20pound pull. The article basically went on to recommend that anyone having this weapon should probably change the original Springs out with lighter ones. As with anything I read I don't take it to be the Gospel but to be perfectly honest everything that was said and the way it was presented made perfect sense to me. As for the OP's post, as we all know the Internet is full of those that know more than anybody else mine is bigger better and better than anybody else's type of guys. I suspected this might be the case with the OP. I don't know him personally so it's probably not right to speculate . I for one I have never been accused of being very politically correct soooo I went ahead and speculated . Personally I have a changed out my Springs and found my P 60 for quite a bit more enjoyable to shoot. At any rate if anybody happens to see a copy of this magazine laying on the shelf someplace it did have some interesting articles. One on the Yugoslavian SKS , The Broomhandle Mauser and a quite a few others. I found it at the least an interesting if not enjoyable read. As far as the weather goes I spent 27 years in Florida hated it I now live in Virginia don't know if I can handle the weather in Montana Though. Oh PS sorry for any grammatical errors I'm using voice to text and as I'm kind of pressed for time and have to get on the highway now I don't have time to proofread
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I bought that same magazine for the same reason!! And it said exactly what Poppy said it did. And it has a picture of the P-64 variant that did not get produced. From the looks I wish that one would have gotten made cause it had a slide release.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

I thought the same thing ketchman. I wonder why they omitted the slide release in the finale design?
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

OMG man, don't freaking read internet forums and post while driving! Put yer dang phone down.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

The hammer spring is totally irrelevant to the possibility of a discharge when the weapon is dropped. With the hammer down and safety off, the hammer is not in contact with the firing pin, a small stop within the trigger mechanism prevents the hammer contacting the pin in this condition, and there is no tension on the hammer spring. If the weapon were to be dropped in this condition, it is possible (though by most test results, highly unlikely as the hammer stop in the trigger mechanism would have to fail as well) that the hammer could be forced into the firing pin with enough force to discharge a round- but again, as the spring is not tensioned in this condition, it is irrelevant to the equation. Now if the weapon were cocked and the safety off (as it would have to be with this pistol) and it were dropped... well hell, no hammer fired weapon is really "drop safe" in that condition- so even under tension, the hammer spring is still largely irrelevant to the equation. After all that, the fact remains that the floating firing pin is, if there is one, the real danger with this weapon in terms of chance of discharging when dropped. (particularly if dropped on its nose) In this one case... a stiffer than factory spec. firing pin spring MAY help prevent a discharge. Hammer spring remains... irrelevant.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Too bad the OP will never read that. Excellent explanation of fact JD.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Nice J.D.
Ketch - went back to stock springs and will test this Friday. Keep you posted.
Last edited by OG17 on March 22nd, 2017, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Good luck. Looking forward to how it goes.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I haven't been around here much as of late. I've been concentrating on learning to and actually loading my own ammo. My P64(s) are all OK so haven't needed to check here for info....

Anyway, a few years ago when this topic came around (for the 2000th time or so) I took my P64s to the range with a dead-blow hammer. I have 18# hammer springs installed and I tried my best to fire the gun by hitting it (not TOO hard!!! :shock: ) on the hammer from the back and both sides. No discharge occurred.

Now, this is NOT true for ALL and I would caution ANYONE concerned about the drop-safe of this gun to continue being safe (and skeptical) of the weapon ND if dropped. IT MAY DO SO!!! I couldn't get mine to fire hittin' them with a mallet. YOU might not be so lucky. But at least you know. :wink:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Robhic good to see you back on the board. Thought you were tired of us.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Ketchman wrote:Robhic good to see you back on the board. Thought you were tired of us.
Nah, just a little tied up because dealing with 'splosives tends to make me be very careful and make sure I'm doing everything right! :shock: I'm getting better doing the reloading and have .45acp and 9mm about figured. I may buy some Mak 9 dies but I need to think about it. I can buy steel-cased ammo for almost the same or less than I could acquire fired brass and with time involved, it might not be a big deal. I don't shoot nor know anyone who shoots Mak 9 so cases would be VERY scarce.

But anyway, I saw the old "how to carry a P64"discussion and felt compelled to butt in! :wink: I think you guys have it about covered....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke