What did you carry today?

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: What did you carry today?

Post by normsutton »

as far I know there were only 2 cases of the BR 61's imported in the to the US , in 9 x 18 and they were out of Plant city Fl. for SSME,

I also bought the last RL 61 that they had

these were all steel frame guns not alloy
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Lucky dog you. Have never even heard of them till yesterday and you have 2. I am officially jealous Norm. :cry:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

My P64 in a pocket holster I have for my S&W model 60-15 J Frame 3"..I will use this until I find a IWB holster.
This is the first weapon I have with an external safety. I like it. I never carried one in the chamber with my Glock 23.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Try searching Amazon for "Outbags P-64" leather IWB holster. I have 3 now and am very impressed with them. Fit and finish is very good and price from mine were $26.00. Highly recommend them.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

+1 on Ketch's suggestion. OB makes a good product. I can also recommend 2 others that I use - DeSantis Speed Scabbard for PPK, PPK/S and a Winthrop Leather Model # 0249 Snap Loop IWB for Walther PPK.
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

P64 with Polish Iron grips in a Homestead Holsters OWB holster and Silver Bear FMJ 94 gr ammo. Have the original springs in it. Figure adrenalin will overcome the heavy DA trigger pull, if needed. Carry it 6+1, safety on. Front sight painted fluorescent green.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice rundown on your setup. Never heard of the holstet maker though. Pics if possible? Is it good?
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

I'll get some pics of the holstered pistol. Homestead has a web site, http://homesteadholsters.com/. I also have IWB and OWB holsters for my CZ82 and an IWB for my P64 from them. Good quality, reasonable prices. You can buy them on Amazon, but I always buy them direct from the web site.

I also have one of his hybrid holsters for the P64 that has the metal clips, but prefer this one with the slots in the leather. I don't see these on his site any more, but suspect he would crank one out for any pistol he supports, if asked to. I had hoped he would start making them for Zastava M88as, but he could not find a blank for them. Luckily, the M88a fits perfectly in my custom leather shoulder holster for my M1911.

I have four P64s, two mint and put away in my safe, and two for carry/home defense. My other carry P64 (really a home hideout gun) I bought from someone locally and he had put Marschall grips and a spring kit in it. The DA on that pistol is not a whole lot better than on my unmodified pistol. Being left handed, I went back to the stock grips on that one.

The P64 shown is one of the one's Classic was selling at their regular price a couple of years ago, but some idiot had ground the slide over the import stamp. Later Classic sold these as "class B" pistols at a discount. I wasn't too happy with Classic over this but it gives me a pistol I don't have to worry too much about knocking around. Mechanically, it is fine and I have hundreds of rounds through it and it is my normal carry, though I do alternate between this and an M88a in a shoulder holster. I prefer shoulder holsters and bought a Barsony for my P64, but haven't been able to get it adjusted to my liking. I sometimes "Mexican carry" the P64 in a cross draw fashion from house to car and car to house when going to and from work, since it is less conspicuous to put it in my glove box when I get in and out of the car at work. Looking for a decent lefty IWB crossdraw "sheath" that is thin and flexible that I can wear at work. I always wear a long sleeved "T" shirt or Hawaiian shirt at work. Suggestions welcomed.

I bought four of the post 1972 hammers on GB from Poland and toying with the idea of swapping one into my carry P64. I CAN cock it using the rounded hammer, though it is harder to do than with the later hammers.
Last edited by kwqd on March 19th, 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks for the link. Look like good solid holsters at a reasonable price. And made to fit too.
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

Updated original post with pics and more blabbering...
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Only four P64s? :mrgreen: Thanks for the link on the holsters. Worth taking a look at when I get my 2nd P64. :oops: :wink:
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

Luv P64s. They are so beautifully made and a great investment, too. They fit my hand so well and are a pleasure to hold and shoot. They could only be improved by being made ambidextrous.
Foxtail

Post by Foxtail »

My usual daily carry gun around town is a Taurus TCP, pocket carry.

When I'm travelling the interstates I was carrying a SCCY Cpx 2 in an OWB pancake holster under a shirt or jacket, but sold it and bought a P64. The P64 is almost exactly the same size as the SCCY but not as thick, but more importantly to me the P64 is more reliable than the SCCY in my experience. Replaced the hammer spring and the double action pull is ok (but not great), the recoil doesn't bother me after I smoothed the rough edges of the grips where they come together in the back. It is possible to pocket carry the P64 , I've done it, but the Taurus is less than 1/2 the weight, thinner, and smaller.

In the summer I spend a lot of time in the woods, a couple thousand acres, 14 thousand actually, most is state game land, and on this game land outside of hunting season the only weapon you're allowed to have is a .22 pistol (short, long, or long rifle ammo only) open carried, so even with a CCW I have to open carry, but only a .22. My carry gun for this is a Ruger Mark III Standard (the one with the tapered barrel). Or occasionally a Heritage Rough Rider single action revolver in .22, just because I like it.

When I open carry otherwise (outside of town), which I do on some summer days, I carry a 1918 P-08 Luger. In theory you can open carry in town. I have done it occasionally but judging from some people's reactions it was only a matter of time before someone called the police about 'a man with a gun', and even though it's legal I judged it not worth the trouble, so I conceal carry in town.
OnTop

Post by OnTop »

Hi All.

I just joined the forum because I just picked up a very good condition 1967 P64 yesterday but I am not a stranger to firearms. My EDC (all seasons/all the time, except while sleeping), is the Gen 3 Glock 19. Well, here is a pic of my introduction to the P64 community. It came with 3 magazines, 2 boxes of ammo, the current installed grip and the factory grip (no, I am not going to be replacing it with the factory grip since the current one is so comfortable). All for $200 ftf private transaction. BTW, yes, I admit that for the life of me, I can not get the trigger to move with just one finger for double action. I need to do some weight lifting with just my trigger finger for the next three months to be able to use it in double action or thru the power of reading on this forum, I will just replace the hammer/recoil spring set. Am I on the right track or should I just hit the gym?

OT
Last edited by OnTop on March 21st, 2017, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

:hi: Welcome aboard OT. Glad to have you join the P64 Brotherhood. Nice looking P64 you have there and with the Polish Iron grips as well. May want to consider the extended mag release if you don't have it already. BTW, I also have the Gen 3 G19 and it's one of my carry options.