Makarov brass

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
Poppy42

Makarov brass

Post by Poppy42 »

Hi all I want to start reloading for my P64 and my Makarov I've got dies, molds for the cast bullets I make. I all set except for one thing. All the ammo I have is steel or aluminum cased. I know I can trim 9mm Luger brass, but I don't want to do that unless I have know other choice. I load and shoot 9mm Luger and so does my son. Even when I mark the trimmed cases I am concerned that it will be to easy to mix the cases up. So does anyone know were I can get some reasonably priced Makarov brass? I can even trade fo 9mm Luger, .40, .45acp. I also have some .38 special, 357 sig, and 357 mag. Or I'll trade cast bullets. .356 124gn 9mm RN or .365 95gn RN (Makarov bullets). Or I'll buy them if you'd prefer. Just not for the prices I've found on line. Starline brass wants $87.50 for 500 rounds. That's $ .18 a round, for brass! Heck I can buy ammo for $ .23 a round. For $ .18 a round for brass it's cheaper to buy ammo than to reload. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Feel to pm me if you have questions about the cast bullets or brass for trade or anything, for that matter. Any help or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Drec

Re: Makarov brass

Post by Drec »

Trimming 9mm Luger is probably cheapest route. On a different forum we talked about ways to mark the brass so it would be unique; which ranged from obliterating the head stamp to marking with a sharpie. I have a friend that is a jeweler, who said he would make a steel stamp for me that I could stamp "MAK" on each case, but whatever way you decide to mark them it will take some work. My concern is being able to collect all or most of my brass after shooting.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Like I said in my op trimming I can do I've got over 5000 Luger cased. I'm not even worried abou loosing brass. As for marking brass, I've been marking brass for years with machinist red dye so that I know when a case has been loaded for the last time. My biggest concern is I already load 9mm Luger so as I said I have a lot of 9 mm cases in various degrees of prep waiting to be reloaded. If I trim 9 Luger cases to Makarov size the headstamp will still say 9mm Luger. The chances of one of those trimmed cases inadvertently loaded to 9 mm Luger specs by myself or my son concerns me. In addition with the amount i shoot ( my last range trip with my son, we went through 600 9 mm Luger, 400 Makarov, 300 .40, and 100 22lr & 22mag) trimming cases can be a little time consuming to say the least. if I can avoid trimming cases great. If I can't find reasonably priced Makarov brass I won't have a choice.
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Drec

Post by Drec »

Poppy42 wrote:.......................... The chances of one of those trimmed cases inadvertently loaded to 9 mm Luger specs by myself or my son concerns me. ..........
That's my concern as well; which is why I'll be obiviating the 9mm Luger head stamp or at least mark it permanently somehow to note a difference.