Need help with a safety stuck in the safe position

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Mattylite1018

Need help with a safety stuck in the safe position

Post by Mattylite1018 »

I was looking around on here and can't find an answer, but for some reason my safety is stuck in the safe position. I was hoping someone could shed some light on how to fix, I can't for the life of me figure out what it's jamming up on.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Need help with a safety stuck in the safe position

Post by Ketchman »

What were you doing when it jammed?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Mattylite1018

Post by Mattylite1018 »

I had it out so I could show my brother my new purchase, I tried to take off the safety and it wouldn't budge, before that I had it at the range a couple weeks ago and it functioned with no problem, then put it in the safe. I noticed the safety was a little tough when I first got it but it functioned, now it seems like it's getting jammed up on something along the right side of the slide if I have it off and I'm looking at it, hope that makes sense
Drec

Post by Drec »

Are we talking about a P64?
Mattylite1018

Post by Mattylite1018 »

Yes sir.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I am sorry to say it does not make sense. Explain what your trying to do when it "jams up". Are you trying to take it off safe, put it on safe, is it loaded with a round in the chamber or empty with no round in the chamber. Did you shoot it with corrosive ammo before putting it in the safe and did not clean it......trying to diagnose a problem long distance without full information about how, what ,when is like trying to land a plane blindfolded. Would love to help if I can but................
Mattylite1018

Post by Mattylite1018 »

When I first got it about 2 weeks ago, I did shoot with corrosive and non, and yes I did not clean, put it away after I got back from the range. The other day I went to take it off safe, not loaded, and the safety would not move, I took the slide off to see if it was something simple, and obviously it was not, I try and move the safety and it feels like it's getting hung on something what I cannot tell. I appreciate your help
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Take the slide off and immerse it in some mineral spirits for an hour or so. Then spray it with Gun Blaster real good and if you can blow dry it with a small air compressor or a canned version like Ultra Duster. If that doesn't work you are going need to take the safety off and clean it out or maybe deburr some rough spots.
Mattylite1018

Post by Mattylite1018 »

I actually tried to take the safety out but the firing pin won't budge the least. I will try the mineral spirits though and see if that does anything.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Do you live where the humidity is high? Sounds possible as if your firing pin and or safety are rusted into place due to firing corrosive ammo and then not cleaning before storage. Possibly get some penetrating oil like Kroil into the questionable area and let it sit overnight. That might get them moving.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ketchman wrote:Do you live where the humidity is high? Sounds possible as if your firing pin and or safety are rusted into place due to firing corrosive ammo and then not cleaning before storage. Possibly get some penetrating oil like Kroil into the questionable area and let it sit overnight. That might get them moving.
Great suggestion. I would use this rather than the mineral spirits. Once you get the FP out, clean out the channel real good and take a look at your FP & spring. If they too far gone, get new ones.
Drec

Post by Drec »

If your gun was fairly new (not used and in storage), it could be just gunked up in the safety and firing pin area. When I first read your post, I was wondering as my safety and firing pin were somewhat gunked up, so I removed them and cleaned everything up to free up the safety. There is a small spring with a pin that goes into a detent; which is probably most of the problem. Cleaning all of this and lubrication might fix it. IIRC, someone mentioned taking some of the point (rounding) the part of the pin that interfaces with the detent might make it work easier.

If you take the safety and firing pin out. Document it well, so it is easier to put back together. Also be careful with the spring and detent, as they might be easy to lose, don't ask me how I know this. This is fairly fresh in my mind, so if you need help or would like to talk to someone while you are taking it apart/putting it back together, PM me your phone number and we could talk.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Mattylite1018 wrote:I actually tried to take the safety out but the firing pin won't budge the least. I will try the mineral spirits though and see if that does anything.
The safety is designed to hold the Firing Pin while it is on Safe. So of course the Firing Pin won't budge while you have the Safety seized up on Safe. In it's current state you will NOT be able to remove any of the effected parts. To remove the Safety you need to be able to put it on the Fire position. Then you would nee to fully depress and hold the Firing Pin forward, only then will you be able to remove the Safety for cleaning. Once the Safety comes out the Safety Detent and Detent Sping will fly out, so it's advised that you do all of this in a large clear bag.

As Ketchman said you need to soak it in penetrating oil so that you can get to the point where you can get it to fire first. Then clean in thoroughly. Also let that be a lesson to you. Always clean after shooting with corrosive ammo!

Additionally read though these for a better understanding of the assembly and function of the P-64: viewforum.php?f=7
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

You da man Weasel. I read the manual and I had a brain fart by not recognizing that feature and the OP saying that it was stuck in "safe" mode.
Mattylite1018

Post by Mattylite1018 »

UPDATE... So I went to try all the above suggestions, I tried the safety just to give it a whirl and it worked, but was binding up a little, I followed another post on this site to take the safety apart cleaned and all the parts. I also removed the "safety Detent" and ran the tip on some fine grit paper to try and debur it and clean it up, I reinstalled the everything and it worked 100% better then when I originally picked it up. Thank you for your help!