P83 Decocker Issue - UPDATE

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
OG17

P83 Decocker Issue - UPDATE

Post by OG17 »

The decocker is not able to release the hammer to it's decocked position. Had my gunsmith work on it but it only decocks if the slide is moved slightly back then move the safety lever up.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by OG17 on March 11th, 2017, 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P83 Decocker Issue - UPDATE

Post by Curly1 »

Take a look at the decocker detent it may need some rounding out to keep from hanging up.

Never mind I thought we were talking about the P64
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

The P83 has a safety detent. I got one coming for it that's for a PP. Did a Google search on it and someone said it works better. Unfortunately there's no YouTube video showing a full disassembly of the P83.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

OG17 wrote:The P83 has a safety detent. I got one coming for it that's for a PP. Did a Google search on it and someone said it works better. Unfortunately there's no YouTube video showing a full disassembly of the P83.
It's not to hard. Just take your time. Take lots of before and after photos so you can check how things go back. And try to do most of your work in a clear plastic bag. If something goes flying it will be easier to find.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Here are instructions on disassembly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_zYB ... lDNnc/view
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Thanks Weasel & Curly. I'm going to take it apart as soon as I get the other parts in, hopefully this week. If it doesn't work out, I'll buy another one, this time making sure the decoker works appropriately.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Well, I bought another one. This one is from 1989 and the decocker works as it should. The 1st one is at the gunsmith's getting new parts installed. Hope that makes it work. How can I go wrong with 2 of them? :mrgreen:

Here's the 1987

and the 1989 (it also has the holster and cleaning rod) from J&G Sales hand-picked. The ammo shown is 90gr Federal Classic Hi-Shok JHP. I also use PPU 95gr JHP ammo.