14#, 16# or 18# springs ???

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
saands

Post by saands »

I've been reading more and more posts about folks that are experiencing "duds" with Wolf ammo and I'm starting to wonder if the beloved 16# mainspring is a tad light. I certainly wouldn't carry a p64 with a 14# (even if I thought that the SA was safe ... which is debatable, but a different topic). Back on subject ::) I think that if someone were to ask me for a recommendation on a carry configuration today, I'd be leaning toward the 18# spring ... the difference in the DA pull is not that great, but it might take the reliability up a notch. Just a thought.

Saands

ps ... no I don't work for Wolff and I'm not trying to drum up business for them ... I'm sure that they are busy enough :o
bankerbilly

Post by bankerbilly »

I'll agree son . . .

I tried a 16 pound spring on one of my P-64's. Would fire a round in the double action mode, but primer hit was a little "light".

Installed a 18 pound spring in both of my P-64's. Each has been thru at least 100 rounds since them. ZERO problems.

I'd say stick with the 18 pound springs.

Neat little gems, they are . . . .
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Any one tried the 17# PPk spring from wolf yet,the spings I 've got in my p-64 are from Tapper Gun and there is no# rating on them but they seem work just fine one is blue and one is red,red being the lightest .

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
novgarod

Post by novgarod »

Normsutton, you can review my previous posts on this subject of main springs. I currently have a 20# PPK spring (original setup with PPK) in my 1975 CZAK; the 18# spring in this pistol at 40 degrees caused an accidental discharge for SA; it may depend upon the gun since the DAs seem to vary.

In any case, I prefer some resistance in SA to be felt prior to discharge on the range under all circumstances. Note that this discussion does not condone a suitable carry for myself or anyone - safe, dependable functionality while on the range is my stated goal.
alek

Post by alek »

Hi CZAKists,

I am a new member. Just bought 3 days ego P-64-1972. I have been shooting this gun while young and handsome during military training for university students in Poland. And looks like I will be shooting it again as a handsome only. I remember our first DA shooting at 25 meters and nobody could hit the target. We complained to our training officer (colonel, veteran of WW2) about this @$%&! DA trigger and asked him to show us how to shoot. He said, “look, shoot like this” and he drew his TT-33 from holster hitting eight 10s in about 3-4 seconds saying, “I don’t need to use this piece of shit but you have to. You, students better should go to PGR (Government Agriculture Farm) to scratch bulls balls, not to army. At least bulls would be happy”.
Anyway, I’ve got it, just sentiments. I disassembled it to find what is the problem with so heavy DA and found the reason very quickly – hammer spring. Knowing that P-64 design was based on Walther PPK, I started looking for replacement spring and….. found this great message board. I ordered 16, 18 and 20# springs at Wolff and looking forward to go to shooting range.
Thanks all for great inputs. :D
Alek
Last edited by alek on October 14th, 2006, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
alek

Post by alek »

Have replaced 18# trigger spring in 7min38sec. Not the same gun!
Yahooooo!!! :D
Last edited by alek on October 14th, 2006, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjsixgun

Post by rjsixgun »

I replaced my #16 spring with a #20 spring, I found the 16 to be just to light for carry, but it worked perfect. I chose the 20 because that is the standard spring in a CZ-75 and a Walter ppk. I dont currently own a Walter but I do own a CZ and now the P-64 has the same trigger put as my CZ-75........PERFECT!!!!!!

Hey If its good for a CZ and a Walter, then its good for a Random.

If I were planning on useing the P-64 as a range-only gun then I would keep the 16, but for carry I prefer the 20.
zedsdead

Post by zedsdead »

I just replaced my mainspring with the Wolf 16#. I'll post a range report after I shoot it. It certainly makes a surprising difference in the DA weight.