P-64 Variations

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 Variations

Post by devlinfaust »

Pappy83,

No, I'm not a dealer. I do have a C & R license and have purchased some CZ-52's, Mosin-Nagants and Swiss K-31's from them. I have also purchased ammo from SOG from time to time. They send me a flyer about every month, but it is listed as confidential.

Just about anyone who can buy a handgun can qualify for the C & R license. There is some paperwork to fill out, and a fee (something like $30, as I recall) and it will take them several weeks to process it, but when you get it, there are several guns (like the afore mentioned ones) that you can buy.

I don't re-sell any of these, there all for my own personal use, but it gets your foot in the door for offers and it does allow you pick up some good milsurp deals. I have also bought some stuff from Aim Surplus and get their flyer as well--I think that one comes in ever two or three months.

By the way, the P-64 does not qualify for the C & R FFL purchase. Too bad!
pappy83

P-64 Variations

Post by pappy83 »

Great information, I didn't even know of the C & R license, I'll definately look into that! Thanks
arex

P-64 Variations

Post by arex »

About the slick gun; I would suggest something recommeneded to me by another member, which is to 'bake' your P-64. Preheat to 140 degrees or so.
I, too, recently acquired a P-64 (stamped 1976) at a gunshow. This is my first non-new firearm, AND my first foreign AND military-issue firearm.

Mentioning the preservative oil and the need to remove it has gotten me to thinking...externally it's quite clean, in good condition, and internally it's clean and quite oily. I have no idea what the history of this gun is...how do I tell if the oil is the preservative oil, and what do I replace it with? Is it safest just to assume that it's preservative, and go ahead and clean and re-oil it? I use RemOil and/or TriFlo on my other guns...are these lubes adequate for a gun like this?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 Variations

Post by normsutton »

arex

WELCOME

Yes clean the gun , any oil you are used to using is fine ,get everything clean and working in the gun before shooting it

there are many ways to clean the cosmoline out the gun on this forum

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on November 17th, 2006, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

P-64 Variations

Post by himmel »

Hey Norm--Like that new signature...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 Variations

Post by normsutton »

THANKS RB

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
broncohiker

P-64 Variations

Post by broncohiker »

Hi,

New P-64 and PA-63 a while ago.
I like the PA-63 for fitting in my hand, but the trigger and quality feel only marginal-why no all steel version?
P-64 is a tough little nut. All the talk about reducing recoil and I thought the best thing would be to make it a .380 after I saw aftermarket barrels, then I thought two more P-64's so I could keep one original, one .380 and one a compensated barrel in 9x18. I ordered a .380 barrel, but alas it seems to be for the Bulgarian, Russian, German Maks. Anyone know of a replacement barrel for the P-64?
I am not well practiced with handguns, but SA is fine and DA O.K. when shooting; bad when dry firing.
Will a recoil spring mellow things a little? Mine is a 1972, I think with a triangular hammer.
Who else wanted a P-64 in .380? I thought I would make one out of mine but no luck.

Mine came with only one mag and the only one I find is keepshooting.com for 21.95 plus ship.
Maybe I will check with Bartos
Enjoy
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 Variations

Post by beasleydano »

broncohiker

Official welcome to the Unofficial P-64 Resource Board!
I have some extra mags and a black leather holster and cleaning rod. E-mail me if interested.
rburt

P-64 Variations

Post by rburt »

broncohiker

Southern Ohio Guns has magazines for $9.95, if there are any left. Try them, not on the web site, so hve to call and ask. I got 4 from there just this week.
rjsixgun

P-64 Variations

Post by rjsixgun »

I know I would love a P-64 in .380!!! only because ammo is easy'r to find
mrcrabby01

P-64 Variations

Post by mrcrabby01 »

New owner of a P-64 since the local gun show two days ago, glad I've found this place to pick the minds of other owners and hopefully get myself a bit more of an education on my future CCW weapon. ;D

Second variations was made from 1971 to 1973 it has modified hammer(but still round) and trigger bar( changes are only seen when do you compare two types of parts )
From 1972 this version has "A" stamp on the left side of pistol.
The P-64 I picked up is marked 1971 (slide and body have matching serials) with a round hammer, but it also has an "A" stamp on the left side of the pistol (in the small area just rearward of the grip, top half of the "A" has been worn a bit from the slide).

I'm not sure if this is the same location as the "A" stamp noted above for the '72, just saying that I have one on my '71...
New to the forum, a great source of information to make a quality gun purchase.

Mine is stamped exactly like yours.

Oh and have already order springs from wolff, seems the previous owner fired it very little because of the DA trigger.
SA is incredible.
turbocat

P-64 Variations

Post by turbocat »

http://i19.tinypic.com/2aey1ax.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/47byidj.jpg

can anyone explain why one p-64 has a square rear channel, and the other(a 1970) has a half-circle?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 Variations

Post by normsutton »

turbocat
The one with the shot gun sight on it wasn't done at the factory

it had to be done by a very good gun smith with a mill ,and metal plane. I like the idea if I had a mill & a metal plane I'd like to try it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
turbocat

P-64 Variations

Post by turbocat »

norm
the one with the shotgun sight is mine. it was an internet purchase, listed as new, unfired. i wondered what was going on when i realized it didn't have the horrendous trigger pull as reported by others. a check of the pull poundage showed D.A.@ 9.3# and S.A.@ 3.2#. all visual indications show no wear with a deep blue. as you noted, it may have been reworked with the springs replaced. the seller hasn't responded to e-mail yet(may not) ;D the setup sure makes aquiring the target easy. i'm happy, tho it would be nice to know the full story.