.380 by mistake...

Info, pictures, advice...
1dickhurtz

.380 by mistake...

Post by 1dickhurtz »

I was at the range and shooting several guns and accidentally put .380 autos in the p-64. I shot a clip and only one shell got stuck. I thought I had a dude few shells and realized it was .380.
I shot 9x18 after with no ill effects.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.380 by mistake...

Post by devlinfaust »

1dickhurtz,

I think you're a lucky fellow that you didn't get your 'gunhurtz' on this one! Although I've never tried it myself, I've had people swear to me that you can shoot .380's all day in the 9mm mak Makarov. When I was shocked, it was pointed out to me that it was "only 1 mm" difference and that is less than the difference between .38 and .357, which can be shot interchangably from a .357 mag revolver.

With regards to using .380 in the P-64, I have personally never tried it, being a chicken. There are some people on this forum that really bright when it comes to various calibers and pressures, who can probably commment on this a lot better than me, but if the gun isn't chambered for it, I tend to worry about it eventually having some negative repercussions.

At any rate, I am glad neither you nor your P-64 suffered any ill effects.

I am curious. Has anyone else tried this?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

.380 by mistake...

Post by himmel »

I haven't, don't plan to--seems the .380 would be a bit small, as i understand 9x18 mak is a bit bigger in diameter than 9mm Para and .380--so the .380 should fit in the Mak chamber, but loosely i would think, with potentially untoward consequences..
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.380 by mistake...

Post by nbender »

From the Makarov.com website (http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html):

Can I fire .380 ACP ammo in my 9x18M Makarov?

NO NO NO NO NO !!! There are those that disagree with me including an author of an article in Handguns magazine and gun dealers who wants to sell you a Makarov. The 9x18M cartridge is not a "true" 9mm because it's really 9.2mm. Therefore the bullets are sized .364" and .365" (barrel sizes vary...slugging yours is best to find out your bore size). Yes, you can probably get away with it a few times, but accuracy will suffer, you'll get gas blow-by, your barrel will wear out faster and for what? Save a few pennies? Hardly. 9x18M ammo is usually cheaper since you can get it surplus. If you absolutely want to shoot .380 ACP ammo from your Makarov, then buy a .380 Makarov or a .380 replacement barrel.

For a car analogy, have you ever seen or owned a car that burned oil? How long did the engine last after it started blowing blue smoke? Probably not long. The reason is that the pistons and rings are now smaller than the cylinders and each explosion sends gasses by-passing the piston ("blow-by"). You're literally burning the sides of your pistons now and engine death is imminent. That's basically what you're doing by shooting undersized bullets
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.380 by mistake...

Post by anjdrifter »

Hi I just tried to post but it didn't go thru. but any way . I love my gun have fired over 1,000 rounds and carry quite often that is till today. after a few rounds the trigger/slide release dropped down and the trigger hinge pin came half way out could not get the pin back in with hand pushing. the range master and I using three hands were able to apply pressure to align the pin and the hole and with a gentle tap with a wooden mallet got the pin back in. fired a few more rounds and the slide release came out again and the pin jammed half in half out , cant move it at all the slide release went back in . there seems to be the same spring tension on the hinge as before . any ideas on how to fix the problem or find a pin. have checked some suppliers and ebay with no luck.
thanks al
Last edited by anjdrifter on November 27th, 2006, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

.380 by mistake...

Post by normsutton »

anjdrifter

SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

WITH PHONE # I WILL CALL YOU AND A TIME TO CALL

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

.380 by mistake...

Post by anjdrifter »

Norm cant thank you enough for help plus great talking to you. what a guy..
cant thank you enough for your help. used the gun upside down technique you told me about ..worked great
drill bit might work . the pin that was in it was a little ratty so going thru my nails and drill bits to see what fits .did end up mic ing it cleaned the spring and chamber was not bad but cleaned it up good and then light oiled it. thanks again al
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

.380 by mistake...

Post by normsutton »

AL

Glade I could help, I've said this before I must say it again
( I met some of the nicest people on this forum )

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage