Underwood Ammunition

All things ammo related.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Underwood Ammunition

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

I have not heard of that brand, will look forward to your range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I am unfamiliar as well!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

While I have not personally used this ammo I have seen quite a few reports from those who have and they all have been quite positive. I have tried to find it local but with no luck. I may order some just to see if the reports are good.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
shoedaddz

Post by shoedaddz »

They offer far more than 9x18 as well. Wonderful people to talk to and buy from. They are an online only store (other than the odd local walk-in).
shoedaddz

Post by shoedaddz »

I plan on giving a full write up on both types when my gear finally gets here.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I look forward to reading it.
jrichberg

Post by jrichberg »

I've used both the +P 95g and the 115g Underwood ammunition in two P64's. Both weights of ammo were accurate and grouped well. However, the ejected 95g round cases consistently showed a moderate degree of bulging in the virgin Underwood brass, so these 24,500 psi rounds are a bit too hot for my taste in the P64. The 115g rounds are slower and generate a bit less pressure, and my ejected brass looked fine.

Since both worked perfectly in the CZ-82 as well, I've relegated my unused stock of 95g rounds to self-defense loads for the Czech pistol. Hope this helps-- and I'll be curious to hear if anyone else has experienced bulged cases using the 95g Underwood ammo.
shoedaddz

Post by shoedaddz »

After many delays and multiple setbacks, I finally was able to get out to the range to break in my freshly rebuilt P-64. The new Wolff 18lb hammer spring gives me a great 4lb single action pull and a usable double action. I personally couldn't tell a difference between the stock recoil spring or the heavier spring I installed from Wolff. 120 rounds total from the P-64 was all I could take honestly. Other than a few light primer strikes on the Russian LVE 9x18 I was shooting, everything worked as expected until I shot my groups with the Underwood. The ammo performed great, however the recoil from the +P 95gr XTP was so violent that it unseated the magazine every other shot (I'm using the extended release fabricated by Duo_Z which might be the best mod ever created for this pistol)...the 115gr Hard Cast I was able to get through full magazines with no problem, but it is smokey! In order to give the P-64 a chance to redeem itself, I'm going to repeat the test after I get new grips and restock on my Underwood 95gr XTP. Out of my CZ-82 the stuff is outstanding and very, VERY consistent. The first picture is the 95gr 5-shot group at 10 yards, next is the 115gr 5-shot at 10 yards, and the last is just to show distance.

ETA: I did not notice any bulging on my brass, but I wasn't looking that closely. I will definitely pay more attention next trip out.

raps6088

Post by raps6088 »

Hello all. New to the forum. Just purchased a P64 from classic firearms.

I was interested in how this Underwood 95gr XTP was doing in these guns as it appears to be the best hollowpoint for the 9x18 mak. Is it safe to shoot even though they exceed the 24000 PSI? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome to the Brotherhood. You should find all the answers you need here.
As far as the Underwood ammo goes I think I would be wary because of the age of these weapons, ie: allow strengths, the fact they were designed for a specific ammo range ( military 9x18) and their size, ie: recoil considerations for both shooter and frame battering.
I am not saying the ammo is bad ammo in any way just wondering if a diet of those littlw firebreathers is a good thing. Same as the heavyweight Buggalo Bore loadings, which I think look pretty potent, especially the hard cast for pure penetration. But that is my opinion. I carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds myself or Silver Bear HP
raps6088

Post by raps6088 »

Thanks. Happy to be here. Glad I found a forum to learn more about this cool little pistols.

As far as the ammo goes, I figured the Underwood +p might not be the best choice given its pressure which is too bad.

I've read the Underwood 115 HC load is not +p. Also the Buffalo bore loads say +p but are under the 24000 PSI mark. Unfortunately they cost the most per round.

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

115 grain loads are liable to be a little much in these little.beasties unless you go for Polish Irons V5 grips, which I highly recommend anyway as they really help with recoil. Try to remember that these were designed for 95 grain loads and a bullet that is 20 grains heavier, which is a 21% bullet weight increase by the way, may not be very healthy for these pistols. At the least I would install the 22 pound recoil spring just to try and keep the frame from being battered to death. Stick to the standard weight range and you will be ok. These will.never equal the 9mm Luger or .40 S&W in penetration and power, they do not have the ability and trying to push them into that power range, which I feel the 115grain rounds are trying to do will only cause undue wear and tear and a possible high speed comeapart for your P-64 with possible collatoral damage to your human parts. And that would be bad.
But I am not an expert. Anybody else got some better info here???
raps6088

Post by raps6088 »

Probably good advice. I did order the 22lb recoil and hammer spring kit from Wolff to help. I'm sure I'll get that grip at some point as well.

The Underwood 115 HC seems nice, especially if it's not +p. Great penetration and it's under $1 a round. I'll have to do some experimenting and see what works for me and the gun. Thanks.

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Rap.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
raps6088

Underwood Ammunition

Post by raps6088 »

Thanks Curly. So I made a quick call to Underwood ammo today. Spoke with a very helpful person who told me that they used a p64 in the testing of their loadings and stated the 95gr+p will be just fine out this gun. No issues at all. He said the p64 was a tough gun and was made to handle the hot Russian ammo that was loaded similarly.

He did recommend getting a fresh spring but it didn't have to necessarily be the extra power spring. Their loads could be beat up a gun with a weak, beat up spring.

He also confirmed the 115gr HC is a standard pressure load. But I won't be carrying this in my area. In their testing the HC load was getting 37" of penetration in ballistic gel! Just a bit of penetration there... Guess this would be a good woods load if you carry your 9x18 caliber gun for that sort of thing.