Bringing-out the Luster

Info, pictures, advice...
RoyOdhner

Bringing-out the Luster

Post by RoyOdhner »

My "new" P64 is in really good shape, considering it was made back in 1967. The bluing, however, is a bit dull. I really don't want to get it refinished, so does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the bluing/luster to really shine? What kind of bluing did the Poles use on it? Is it a traditional bluing, or that painted on stuff like the Czechs used on the CZ-82?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Bringing-out the Luster

Post by robhic »

If you can find it (I was introduced to it by a gunsmith and found it on Amazon) get some "Major Shine" paste wax. One P64 I bought and received through this guy because he is a friend and has the FFL to receive shipped guns was defaced by rust in the bluing. Not happy.

He got his little container of Major Shine and with his finger and a bit of rubbing it made the rust go away and put a really nice finish on the gun. It DID, unfortunately, lighten the bluing a bit where the rust patches had been so the slide had a sort of bluish camoflauge look (light/dark) but it shone like a mirror! I kinda got fond of the unusual appearance. :mrgreen:

I don't know if it would be the same but "Mother's Mag Polish" is supposed to be pretty good stuff, too.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

I'm gonna have to see if I can find any. Thanks.
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

I usually just use bronze wool and Mobile 1. Put a generous amount of Mobile 1 on the part you want to clean up and very lightly buff with the bronze wool. Any oil will work, though. Just put very light pressure on the bronze wool as you buff. It will remove oxidation, rust and grime and not affect the bluing if you are careful. You can do this several times, wiping the oil off and judging your progress until you have the desired effect. Very fine steel wool or a stainless steel scrubbing pad will work too, but it is much easier to accidentally remove bluing, too, using these if you are not very careful.

You can get bronze wool on Amazon, but they probably also carry it at any hardware or home development store.
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

kwqd wrote:I usually just use bronze wool and Mobile 1...
Think I'll give that a try. Does bronze wool come in any particular grit?
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

The bronze wool I bought on Amazon was "fine" grit.
stand watie

Post by stand watie »

To All,

I wish I remembered the name of the metal polish sold by Honda motorcycle dealers (for polishing chrome parts) but I've forgotten it. = It works wonders on "bringing out the shine" & removing deep rust particles that are down IN the finish. - The last tube that I bought as about 5.00 plus tax.
(When I was issued a 1960s-vintage, "tired -looking", Model 10 S&W, .38SPL revolver, once upon a time, by the local US Marshal's office, a tube of that polish, a piece of old tee-shirt & 10 minutes of rubbing made it look GREAT & "near new".)

just my OPINION, sw
"VICTORY OR DEATH"
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col., comdt.
Fortress of the Alamo, Bejar
Fby 24th 1836
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

stand watie wrote:To All,

I wish I remembered the name of the metal polish sold by Honda motorcycle dealers (for polishing chrome parts) but I've forgotten it. = It works wonders on "bringing out the shine" & removing deep rust particles that are down IN the finish. - The last tube that I bought as about 5.00 plus tax.
(When I was issued a 1960s-vintage, "tired -looking", Model 10 S&W, .38SPL revolver, once upon a time, by the local US Marshal's office, a tube of that polish, a piece of old tee-shirt & 10 minutes of rubbing made it look GREAT & "near new".)

just my OPINION, sw
Flitz? http://www.flitz.com/

It is the old stand by for motorcycle polishing tasks. Good stuff.