Slide problem

Info, pictures, advice...
johnnycuredents

Slide problem

Post by johnnycuredents »

I've fired several hundred rounds through my P-64 now; great pistol with great accuracy. Two mags came with it, one with the gun's serial number electro-penciled on it. The other mag often gives trouble with the 6th round, failure to feed properly, but the gun's original mag has behaved itself. However, today at the range after firing about 70 rounds, I had two instances (one with either mag) where the slide only returned about 95% to battery necessitating a light tap on its rear to complete the trip. I was using Silver Bear ammo. I believe I cleaned the gun completely after the previous range session. Is my problem the spring (looks and feels okay, but what do I know?) and, if it is, what kind of replacement spring should I buy?
snailman153624

Re: Slide problem

Post by snailman153624 »

I'd suggest polishing the feed ramp. They are pretty rough from the factory, and when you smoothen this out it chambers much more nicely. About 1 minute with a dremel (cloth/soft tip) and some polishing compound, it will have a mirror finish.
johnnycuredents

Thanks, snailman; I'll give it a try with Flitz. Do you think it could be fouling there from the first 70 or so rounds? I didn't have any problem till then. (I also noticed during the cleaning that followed the range trip that the grooves for the slide rails were fairly dirty. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the problem. As I said, the slide returned almost completely to battery, but just that smidgen of space remaining left the trigger inoperative naturally.)
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

It won't hurt to get a qtip in all those hard to reach places, and use enough FrogLube.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Sometimes the springs do get worn out over time/use. Wolff make good replacement springs. However if you do decide to go that route you will need to grind the ends to match your factory spring. There is plenty of discussion of this if you search the forum.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:Sometimes the springs do get worn out over time/use. Wolff make good replacement springs. However if you do decide to go that route you will need to grind the ends to match your factory spring. There is plenty of discussion of this if you search the forum.
+1 on grinding the ends of the replacement spring. Look at the original (18 lbs) to see what is meant. Also, I had some with this same issue so replaced using the Wolff 20 lb. spring to give the slide a bit more power to close. But DEFINITELY grind the ends!!!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
3line3

Post by 3line3 »

Gents,

I stripped my P64 and found the recoil spring is not ground. I purchased this gun from the importer (CAI I think) more than 10 years ago so I don't believe the spring would have been replaced. What does grinding the spring do anyway and how much do you grind off?

Regards,
Jeff
johnnycuredents

Glad you asked this. I was wondering the same thing myself but was reluctant to ask since everyone here seemed to know exactly what was meant. In fact, if someone answers, could he (or she) explain precisely what needs to be done and how? I love guns, but mechanically I'm a dope.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Fair enough. Pictures required b4 and after, from our experts!..por favor.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The ends of the spring that touches the metal on both ends shroud be ground flat eliminating the roundness.

Procedures and pics here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&hilit=dowel#p39176
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
johnnycuredents

Thanks, Gary. The explanation is clear and the photos really help. Looks like an easy fix even for a duffer like me. Thanks again. :D
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Just to re-iterate what's been said a hundred times (every time this topic comes up), there are many who never grind the springs and never have a problem. No one has yet to offer an explanation as to why grinding it would be necessary or beneficial, other than the original spring was flat on the ends.

I suspect the few people who have had a problem actually just installed the spring backwards. It is slightly tapered, and the tight end is supposed to go over the barrel, right where it meets the frame. The looser end should be towards the muzzle so that it can easily slide over the barrel as the slide cycles. If you get it backwards, the slide won't move as freely and you will have problems with it cycling reliably.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Spring installed correctly (narrow end at frame) and unground spring ends make removing the slide EXTREMELY difficult if not almost impossible. I've had that problem and needed a younger, more powerful friend to "mule" that slide off! :( I own a Bersa Thunder 380 pistol that is the same. Spring needs proper orientation AND ends are ground flat like the OEM P64 springs are. It DOES make a difference.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
johnnycuredents

Interesting. As they say, live and learn. I have read at different spots on the site but I had never seen posts about the spring orientation before, wide aperture at the muzzle end. I am wondering now if my occasional problems with the slide not returning fully to battery are because of this. It could be I simply cleaned the gun and returned the spring to the barrel ass end forward without realizing it. Thanks to all of you for teaching me something new about the P-64.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Good point. You have to install the recoil spring correctly!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk