Damage question

Info, pictures, advice...
Armyjag1

Damage question

Post by Armyjag1 »

Hi,

I just bought my first p64 for $145..can't complain. Except it has damage on the barrel. I will post pics. Can someone tell me if this is dangerous or crucial damage..if so, I would like to bring it back..thanks. If it's no big deal besides an eye soar, I have no problem. Thanks again.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Damage question

Post by Ketchman »

Um that is a no shoot damage. Jesus something had to hit that pretty frickin hard. :shock: You can get a new barrel and a smith shouldnbe able to fit it fairly simply but I would NOT, repeat NOT SHOOT that weapon.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

The damage in the pic is not the barrel. The barrel sits inside and it's held in by a pin. That damage is to the frame, and looks to have been caused by someone firing it with the trigger guard down. The slide slammed too far forward and the extractor took a bite out of the frame.

Personally, I'd have no problem with it, but you can always take it to a gunsmith.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I believe if you look carefully in the top picture you will.notice that the damage extends inward through the barrel. Any weapon with damage like this should not be fired unless life / limb is in mortal danger. I stand by my statement that this gun should NOT be fired.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Someone apparently only owns new and pristine things. I'll remember to take my car to the crusher next time it gets a door ding.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a return option from the vendor I would look into that.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

snailman153624 wrote:The damage in the pic is not the barrel. The barrel sits inside and it's held in by a pin. That damage is to the frame, and looks to have been caused by someone firing it with the trigger guard down. The slide slammed too far forward and the extractor took a bite out of the frame.

Personally, I'd have no problem with it, but you can always take it to a gunsmith.
Gotta agree with snailman on this one. We've seen this type of damage before. Although it looks ruff for $145, as long as everything else is functional it's a good deal on a shooter.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

My truck has plenty of dings snailman and I bought it that way. Pretty and new are not what's is always important to me but safety is. Damage of that type near the breach sends up a huge red flag to me as that is where the most stress is generated. And I apologize if I gave you the impression that I only own new and pretty cause I am a cheap MF who likes to do things as inexpensively as possible.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Close enough to the breech to make some one leery! I do not know if I would shoot it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

It's a blowback design, not locked breech. The only damage I see to the barrel is a light scuff from the extractor that every p64 I've ever seen has. As long as it goes into battery I'd personally have no problem, but if you've any doubt ask a gunsmith. Advice on the internet it's worth every penny you paid for it.

No need to apologize, we're allowed to have differing opinions :)
mike83

Post by mike83 »

My opinion: If half say return it and the other half say shoot it, play it safe and return it. I couldn't shoot it with 100% confidence. There are others out there, though more cash will be required. Spend wisely.
Mike
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I would return it , could led more damage , it looks like to me some tried to change the barrel in it , with out a proper press
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

i would shoot it
Armyjag1

Post by Armyjag1 »

So I took it to a gunsmith...turns out that the "damage" was no damage at all...its a cut out for the extractor...I then looked on videos of other P64s and every one has it...thanks
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes we know there is a cut out but yours certainly by the pics looks like damage beyond that.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary