Red boolits

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
mike83

Red boolits

Post by mike83 »

My first attempt with powder coated cast from the Lee mold. Tumbled in a plastic peanut butter jar, baked @350 degrees for 15 minutes on a foiled cookie sheet. It took 2 coats to get what I consider a satisfactory coating. I have yet to shoot them. I did flare them a bit more than usual. The Lee factory crimp die smoothed them out and they seem to chamber well. The red looks so appropriate, doesn't it?
Mike Sr.
Attachments
IMG_0189.JPG
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Red boolits

Post by Ketchman »

Maybe a dumb question and maybe I just don't get it, (would NOT be the first time :roll: ), but why? I mean they look good and are very apprapo, although I think a deeper more blood red would be better, but why?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Powder coating is applied as a lube. I normally use Alox and more recently an Alox/Johnsons floor wax combo. The Alox works very well: no leading whatsoever, but it does create more smoke and gums up my seating die somewhat. The powder coating is supposed to be good for higher velocity cast bullets in rifle calibers. Some are getting 2400 fps with no leading (using a gas check as well). There are several cast bullet makers (Missouri Bullet for one) that sells powder coated lead bullets.

I am a tinkerer and like to try new stuff. Being retired gives me the time. I could never afford the time to reload when I was still working. I call my reloading time "therapy". :D

Mike Sr.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok. I get it now. Tinkering just to see what happens. That is cool. Let us know how they work will ya? I for one am curious to know. And thanks for going easy on me Mike.
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

This looks interesting to me , I reload lead cast for 9mm and 9x18. Did a quick innerweb search and reviews of this method are good. Guy on you tube ran patches through his guns and none of the powder coat showed on the patches.
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Lots of info out there on the web. Some good, some not so good. I have yet to see any real negatives about powder coating. It is more time consuming, but I have the time (or I should say I make the time). Casting from wheel weights is the same thing in time management. I can save money once the initial outlay for equipment is amortized. I don't do it to save money, I just like to do it. It may sound crazy, but I sometimes rather make ammo than shoot it. Shooting a new load and using the chronograph to dial it in is one of my most enjoyable projects. I reload for 7 pistols, 6 rifles and casting for 6 pistols. I'm sure more will be added in the future.
I love this hobby!
Mike Sr.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

the word is bullet not Boolit , Boolit is a made up word its not real ,

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.ca/2012 ... oolit.html

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I just figured he was goofing around Norm. I never thought boolit was a real and for true word. But it's funny.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Every word in every language was made up at some point...

I've shot nylon coated bullets before, but never powder coated. They definitely kept the barrel clean. I think the nylon acted like a squeegee.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

bullet is and old word ,there is no need for a new word ,
The development of the hand culverin and matchlock arquebus brought about the use of cast lead balls as projectiles.
"Bullet" is derived from the French word boulette which roughly means little ball.

not boolit , makes use look illiterate ,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mike83

Post by mike83 »

I get a lot of casting info from this place:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/
This is just a light-hearted term that I thought was okay. If I offended anyone, I am sorry. I will refrain from its use from now on.
Mike
mike83

Post by mike83 »

I got the chance to test some loads today.
First was the powder coated 9mm Mak.
The good: NO smoke, same accuracy as fmj, no leading and no red paint in the barrel.
The not so good: Out of 24 rounds, I had 5 fail to feed. A nudge on the slide loaded 3 of them, the others I had to clear. I did see some red paint on the feed ramp. The ramp is kind of rough, but I never had any problems before the coated bullets. I think a polishing would help. I also think that extra .002 of paint needs to be sized after coating. I should order a sizing die anyway.

Second test went perfectly. 9mm Mak cast with a custom lube: 60% Lee Alox and 40% Johnson liquid floor wax.
All Good! No smoke, same accuracy, no leading and no stink from the Alox. This recipe does everything I was looking for. I now wonder, why bother with the powder coating?

I will probably work on some rifle loads with the powder coating down the road. For now, I am delighted with the 60/40. By the way, I got that recipe from the previously mentioned website. Good info there!

Mike
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Update with the powder coated projectiles: I received my Lee custom sizer and loaded some more. Previously I was seating them right up next to the max OAL. This time I set them a little deeper with .2gr less powder. Results were terrific. No problems at all with 48 rounds sent downrange. I know it is a lot more time and energy, but I enjoy doing things a little different from the crowd (I rode Triumphs when everyone else had a Harley). :lol: :wink:
Mike