Info, pictures, advice...
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Hi all, I'm considering purchasing one of these fine looking pistols. Was curious on how the recoil on this is. I currently have an XD-40 4'' with an EFK 9mm conversion bbl. that's a little over a year old, and a Sig P220, 1986, with very little rounds through her. I can handle the flip pretty good with the 40, 9, and 45. Most accurate with the 9mm bbl in the XD though. Still learning, I guess you never really stop. I'm just starting out on the carrying aspect. Picking up my CPL, hopefully 11/20/06, if I can get downtown to the county building. It only took 35 days from the application turn in day, pretty quick from what I've heard for Wayne County. Was thinking of using this as a spring, summer, fall carry piece, and maybe even winter if running out the door and want to just pocket carry to the store or something. All 4 or my grandparents came from Poland either during or right before WW1, so I'm really leaning in the direction of this pistol. Adding a little of the home country to the collection is a good thing? Yes? Sorry I got long winded here, I'll be more to the point in my later posts, well maybe anyhow ;)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

manicmechanic

WELCOME

This a great little pistol
and a great forum

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

manicmechanic, Welcome. Long winded is not a bad thing. I must warn you, I only owned one pistol when I first got my concealed carry license, now I have a dozen. I think you will find that the P-64 will be economical and reliable. I have never had a misfeed. Something I can't say about some of my more expensive modern pistols.
About the recoil, It's definitly got one. Not quite as hard as my 38 ultralite, but close. I always take it to the range and put about 50 thru it. I can't do that with the 38.
35 days to get your license back would be a world record in Oklahoma. Mine took 90. Later Don
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

Hi, manicmechanic. I am a new P-64 convert and I want to warn you that this gun is addictive! It is a great lttle gun! The P-64 has substantial felt recoil due to its small size and chambering but given the weight of the pistol and yourexperience it should be no problem for you. Personally I like the recoil. It is quite reassuring to me. When I was in law enforcement I carried a Colt Python and later a Sig P220. For civilian CCW carry I favored a S&W Airweight Bodyguard in a pocket holster until I discovered the P-64 with 95 grain hollowpoints. Hey, I'm getting long-winded too. Anyway, welcome! Read the post and learn from some of these sages, as I have been doing.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

manicmechanic,

Welcome to the forum.

When I shot the P-64 for the first time, the recoil was so bad that I said if I couldn't defend myself against someone with the first five shots, that I would just hand the gun over to the assailant and let him put me out of my misery. HOWEVER, I got some valuable information on this site, and part of the problem was that I was holding the pistol too tight. Also, I put on Hogue slip over covers on the grips and the recoil is now quite managable. Wolff springs has a heavy duty recoil spring in the works (not yet available) that should reduce felt recoil even more.

I own two P-64's and am delighted with them. Even though they are small, they are some of the most accurate handguns in my collection. I've had a little trouble feeding Hornady hollow points (although most in the forum have not had that problem), but the pistols absoultely feed everything else.

I guess you could get a lemon in anything, but to me, the P-64 is one of the best bargains going in the handgun market, and I do use it for CCW.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Manicmechanic,

Ditto on the welcome and the remarks. I doubt that you would have any regrets with a p-64. (In fact, your Polish heritage makes it a mandatory purchase, in my opinion . . . at least that's what I told my wife.)

Once broken in, it will be a great carry pistol with full power loads. If you hand load, however, and back off just a touch, you will find that it also a pistol that is VERY accurate for its type and quite fun to shoot.

This is the place to be, though. You can learn a lot from these guys.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin

p.s. Where downriver are you from? I just spent the last 10 years in Monroe.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I went down to the end of Southfield Rd. and Jefferson, right at the Detroit River, tonight to discuss the purchase of one of these pistols. I did pick up a Sigtac jacket, with the holsters built into the lining behind the velcro while there. This ffl said he'd order me one with no problem, I'll probably wait till mid December and jump on the wagon with you guys. In the meantime I'll be reading up on the mods to the trigger and safety polishing, or is that Polishing ;),and see what's out there for a pocket holster. Thanks for all the info and we'll be talking.

ps I'm in Allen Park kempin
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

Another welcome from me & all the P64s out there. This forum
is the place for info on these great little pistols & its members
are friendly,smart & knowlegeable. Enjoy, buy one & like many
of us become a multiple P64 owner -- three for me.

;D
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Yup, welcome indeed!

Long winded fits in just fine on this site...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

manicmechanic,

Let me also give you a BIG Welcome to the P-64 Forum. This is the place for information on this great little pistol. I think the other guys have already said all I need to say.....So again....WELCOME!
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

What model Hogue grip fits the P64?

manicmechanic,

Welcome to the forum.

When I shot the P-64 for the first time, the recoil was so bad that I said if I couldn't defend myself against someone with the first five shots, that I would just hand the gun over to the assailant and let him put me out of my misery. HOWEVER, I got some valuable information on this site, and part of the problem was that I was holding the pistol too tight. Also, I put on Hogue slip over covers on the grips and the recoil is now quite managable. Wolff springs has a heavy duty recoil spring in the works (not yet available) that should reduce felt recoil even more.

I own two P-64's and am delighted with them. Even though they are small, they are some of the most accurate handguns in my collection. I've had a little trouble feeding Hornady hollow points (although most in the forum have not had that problem), but the pistols absoultely feed everything else.

I guess you could get a lemon in anything, but to me, the P-64 is one of the best bargains going in the handgun market, and I do use it for CCW.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

Manicmechanic,

None that I know of. Of course some out here in the forum may have an idea about that, as what fits a Walther PP series sometimes works with these guns, albeit with some alterations. What I was using was the "slip on" Hogue and I also used one by Pachmyr (I never can spell that) on my other P-64. I believe that they were for the "medium" frame auto, but again, check the chart and if it is a sleeve that fits the size for something along the lines of the Walther PP series, that should be about the right size. I do recall that I had to really 'tug' to get it on the grips, but it fit OK.

I don't know anyone making rubber grips for the P-64 as yet. Perhaps Zeeborg, eventually. I tend to think that some rubber grips made expressvely for the P-64 would be much better than the "slip on" from Hogue or elsewhere.