weapons used in self defense

Info, pictures, advice...
snailman153624

weapons used in self defense

Post by snailman153624 »

A co-worker of mine seems to have a pretty anti gun stance. One "fact" he cited is that it seems one never hears about guns being used for legitimate self defense.

Knowing that there is strong media bias against portraying guns as anything but dangerous and something only criminals desire, I suggested he try and research it a bit more instead of just taking CNNs word for it.

Interestingly I came across one in a major newspaper today...
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

The sad thing is the cops chastised the man for "taking the situation into his own hands", as if he somehow knew the guy brandishing the gun wasn't going to harm him or anyone else...this attitude by law enforcement is part of the problem imo.

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread collecting articles of firearms being used in self defense. To the casual reader, I also want to emphasize that just like crimes, self defense incidents go largely unreported. The firearms owner risks getting into a lot of trouble, particularly in some jurisdictions. In most cases simply drawing the weapon is enough to deter most attackers, and all parties involved go along their merry way without notifying law enforcement.
Last edited by snailman153624 on December 25th, 2015, 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
chestertnted

Re: weapons used in self defense

Post by chestertnted »

Many instances of a good man with a gun, stopping a bad man with a gun. The NRA has been talking of this forever!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

So in your co-workers world only law enforcement, the military and criminals would have guns.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Every issue of "The American Rifleman" has a page dedicated to news articles of self-defense. It is called "The Armed Citizen": Good reading and only a part of what happens in the real world. The subscription to the magazine alone is worth the NRA dues.
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

I tell you what, if someone brandishes a gun toward cops they're going to shoot him immediately. Why should it be any different for a regular citizen? Keep in mind police are civilians, too.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:Many instances of a good man with a gun, stopping a bad man with a gun. The NRA has been talking of this forever!
ABSOLUTELY! Except the stories the NRA provide rarely make it to public view. I'm still a bit surprised they allowed (I guess it's money talking :mrgreen: ) those "I AM THE NRA!" videos starring different people and some celebrities. I especially like the one with Dana Loesch, besides being EXTREMELY easy to look at, she makes that commercial POP! A few others do, too.

But GOOD "gun news" is generally way back of the paper and TV, if reported at all.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

johnnycuredents

Post by johnnycuredents »

I second what others say here about The American Rifleman and its Armed Citizen section; that's the first thing I read every issue. Be aware, though, that only a few of the many instances of citizen response to violence and crime get into the NRA's magazine. I have sent two and neither appeared, I'm sure because of lack of space. In one, an elderly woman in my area surprised a home invader at 2am, and when I say "surprised" I mean it: she had a .38 revolver in her hands. The neerdowell took off running before she was forced to fire a shot. The cops (who showed up a bit later, naturally) did not report if he left any smelly deposit on her floor as he fled. :lol:
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I suspect the majority of self-defense cases where a gun is employed by the almost-victim never even get reported to law enforcement. e.g. "I drew my weapon and the assailant ran away" will only bring you under scrutiny in many parts of the country.
Difficult to collect data on what isn't reported.
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

I learned why the US has a Bill of Rights and, especially, a Second Amendment by reading the English Bill of Rights of 1689 and the Virginia Declaration of Rights. Google these documents, and you will be likely enlightened about the purpose of the Founders.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

What you need are Defensive Gun Uses (DGU) studies. There are a good 5 or 7. I'll see if I can dig them out real quick...

[edit]
=====================

No. of Defensive
Gun Uses per Year Source

2.1 million Point Blank: Guns & Violence in America, Gary Kleck

989,883 "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A
Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and
others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology,
March 2000.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/rngn3274255v6j67/

700,000 Mauser study

650,000 Hart study

498,000 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention

108,000 1993 National Crime Victim Survey

83,000 Rand, Michael J. (April 1994). "Guns and Crime:
Handgun Victimization, Firearm Self Defense, and
Firearm Theft". U.S. Department of Justice,
Office of Justice Programs,Bureau of Justice
Statistics. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
http://bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt

76,000 1996 National Crime Victim Survey

Significantly, even using the lowest estimate, 76,000 violent crimes are
prevented by armed citizens each year. According to the feds, the latest
numbers for total murders in the U.S., 2013, were 14,196
(https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/c ... main_final)

Thus, the number of violent crimes thwarted by armed citizens is about FIVE times
the annual murder rate.
==============

With numbers like that, the fact that they're largely unreported and even firearms advocates don't know them, tells me there's a cover-up conspiracy by the national news media.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Goberserk

Post by Goberserk »

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/02/2 ... -shooting/
This was a few miles from my home.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I luv happy endings