How good are new mags?

Info, pictures, advice...
gman68w

How good are new mags?

Post by gman68w »

Keepshooting.com has new P-64 magazines in stock, but some of the reviews talk about issues with the retaining lips, not keeping their shape during long-term storage and the like. Those reviews are a little old, though, and the shop was out of stock for a while. Maybe they took down all the old stock and redesigned everything? Anyone had recent good experience with them?
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
chestertnted

Re: How good are new mags?

Post by chestertnted »

I have never bought new mags, could always find old ones. If you buy them let us know how thy function.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
plarry

Post by plarry »

I have one of keepshooting's new mags. No problems, functions as well as the original, looks identical.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

plarry wrote:I have one of keepshooting's new mags. No problems, functions as well as the original, looks identical.
When did you get it? How much have you been using it? Have you stored it loaded for any period of time?

I'm still a little skeptical until the positive reports start outweighing the negative ones. The original ones are still plenty available.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
johnnycuredents

Post by johnnycuredents »

I tried at a different part of this site to post a question about magazines, but got no response, so I'm trying here. I bought the P-64 and it came with two mags, one with electro pencil labeling that copied the gun's serial number; must have been the original issued with this pistol. The other had a totally different number. The follower on top of the spring in each mag is slightly different in configuration. Here's my problem: Everytime I go to the range, I get at least one hangup after about 40 rounds, usually the last round of six in the magazine. The slide does not return completely to battery and the round remains only half chambered. The only safe way to deal with it seems to be to dump the unfired round out the ejection port and on to the ground after drawing the slide to the rear. I polished the feed ramp and greased the slide rails, thinking these could be the cause of the failures to feed completely, but no luck. Now I'm beginning to think it could have something to do with that second magazine, the one that doesn't have the proper serial number on it. (Unfortunately, I can't say it has only happened with this 2nd mag since the idea only occurred to me on the way home from the range the other day. I never thought to check before that.) Do any of you have any knowledge of feed problems associated with magazines?
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

It appears their are 2 types of mags. Old style had different length feed lips than new style. Somewhere around 1969?. I can't remember which is which. Maybe done when they moved to the triangular hammer.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

johnnycurdents: Have your tried taking the mags apart and cleaning them? Mine had similar issues and a thorough cleaning solved the problem in both mags. After cleaning I sprayed silicone lube one all the parts and wiped everything dry before reassembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

johnnycuredents wrote:I tried at a different part of this site to post a question about magazines, but got no response, so I'm trying here.
And that's called "Thread Hijacking". Don't do that, please.
chestertnted wrote:I have never bought new mags, could always find old ones. If you buy them let us know how thy function.
All reviews say they function fine, it's just the retaining lips have a tendency to bend out of shape when the mags are stored loaded. I emailed Keepshooting.com asking about it, asking if the lips are just rolled into shape, or if they've got the little reinforced corners like the originals have, but I never got a response.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
johnnycuredents

Post by johnnycuredents »

Oops. Sorry. Didn't know about thread highjacking. I just figured I screwed up somehow and my other post got lost.
plarry

Post by plarry »

plarry wrote:
I have one of keepshooting's new mags. No problems, functions as well as the original, looks identical.

When did you get it? How much have you been using it? Have you stored it loaded for any period of time?

I'm still a little skeptical until the positive reports start outweighing the negative ones. The original ones are still plenty available.

I've had it about two months, I store it loaded, it works fine. My p-64 is marked "1968" and has the triangular hammer if that helps you date it for lip width. I only have two mags for my p-64, the one it came with and the one I bought from keepshooting, so it's pretty easy to keep track of mag malfunctions, and so far I've had none from either.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

plarry wrote: My p-64 is marked "1968" and has the triangular hammer if that helps you date it for lip width. I only have two mags for my p-64, the one it came with and the one I bought from keepshooting, so it's pretty easy to keep track of mag malfunctions, and so far I've had none from either.
Let me add more confusion here. The 1968 vintage usually had (notice I didn't say always... :mrgreen: ) the round hammer. I've got one. The newer, triangular hammer started in, again I think, around 1972. So someone may have changed the hammer on your '68 or else it's unique.

I have a 68, 72, 75 and 77 version(s) P-64. The 1968 has a round hammer, the rest the triangular. Can't remember which mag goes with what pistol but when my 2 granddudes and I go ashootin' all the mags get mixed up (to say the least!). Never remember any problems from the mags. I'm sure it would be better to have the right mag with the right vintage gun but we mix ' and shoot 'em and don't worry about 'em.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

The triangular hammer started in 1971?, I think, definitely at least after 1968. Someone did a nice trigger job probably. What is you DA pull like, maybe a Wolffe spring kit was included!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
plarry

Post by plarry »

I believe the the hammer may have been an armory refit. The springs were original with the typical excruciating double action pull. I replaced the springs myself. It has a good single action trigger but I don't think a trigger job had been done.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very interesting. Have not heard of a factory triangular hammer in that year of production. My 1971 is round, my 1974 is triangular.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

My Keepshooting.com mag works as well as the original, that is to say "perfectly".