Looked at a Taurus PT111

Use this section for all other firearms
mike83

Looked at a Taurus PT111

Post by mike83 »

I had read a number of positive reviews, so I looked at the PT111 G2 Taurus yesterday. The size and my hand fit was quite appealing. It felt light and the sights were pretty nice. I was not allowed to try the trigger, as the store rules insisted the gun had a trigger lock on it. I tried 2 different pistols and both had a large sharp defect on the right side grip. I suppose I could remedy this easily with a file, but was turned off by the oh so obvious defect. Not being able to try the trigger sent me away. I was sadly disappointed. The price was $199 after the factory rebate. You get what you pay for.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Looked at a Taurus PT111

Post by Curly1 »

Tru dat!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I just traded a .357 Rossi snubbie + holster + spped loader and ammo for a brand new Millenium G2 a couple weeks ago and I am very glad I did. As you said, the feel in the hand is great and the sights are great, rears are adjustable for height and windage, a little flourescent orange fingernail polish on the front dot and green for the rears and they are good to go. recoil is very mild and it shot to point of aim from the get go. And with a polymer frame and the tough finish on the slide I am not worried about corrosion. And 2 13 round mags (it comes with 2) plus one up the spout makes it a much better truck gun than the .357 with 6 rounds on board and 6 in a speed loader.
I would have told that store thank you for making the sale at another store because of not being able to try the trigger. I can tell you the trigger is very good, long but very smooth and stacks a bit just before let off. Reset distance is short and easy to detect making fast follow ups easy. And if you get a dud primer the trigger goes into double action mode, just pull the trigger again and the firing pin will restrike the primer, no having to rack the slide to reset the trigger. I like it very much and so far no FTF's or FTE's at all.
The inserts they molded in the grip are kinda like sharp grip tape but they do not bother me much, even after a 200 round session. And they don't bother my skin when carrying IWB with it up against me without a shirt in between. I don't know if those molded in inserts are what you are calling a "defect" but if so a little emery cloth would have taken care of that. Personally, for the price, mine would have been $249.00 had I paid for it, would have been very reasonable for a gun of this quality. Mine is in my truck every day and I have it in a holster and do carry it from time to time. I think you have passed up on a very fine firearm. :?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
mike83

Post by mike83 »

I also own a Rossi 357 snubbie. My wife likes to shoot it (with 38's) and calls it her own. She (and I) probably would prefer the PT111 if I did bring one home.

I think my walk away was more due to the dealer/trigger problem. The sharp point sticking out of the lower left corner of the right side grip was very sharp. My old calloused hands never complained before. This was very obvious to the sales clerk as well. If it was me selling it, I would have filed it down. She simply shrugged it off. Maybe I expect too much. I really wanted to like it.

I have decided to forgo purchasing any new guns until I get my Illinois CC license. A second look at the Taurus will probably happen when the time comes. Thanks for your review and convincing me to look again.

Mike
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Mike,
Glad my experience was usefull to you. And I agree that not being able to try the trigger in the store is a deal killer. Kinda like them asking you to buy a car without hearing it run. Wonder if there is a dealer that has a range that rents time on one? I bet you would find the G-2 a pleasure to shoot.
And if you do get one I will be interested to see how well you like it in action.
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

I had a pt 111 and the magazine kept coming loose , So i sent it to taurus postage paid by them . after about two weeks i called to check on the problem. they tell me it cant be fixed and they is a voluntary recall on the gun and they are going to replace it with a brand new PT 111. I have no choice to get it fixed at all. They said they will send it to my local gun store for me to pick it up. I said great when should i expect it, I am told 4 to 6 months ! I said you gotta be kidding me. my new gun is not even made yet i am told they are backed up on repairs and recalls. I said i will take a pt 140 or any other 9 mm they have and was told no you have to wait for a pt 111. i said how about me going to my local store and buying a pt 111 and send them a receipt and was told no it dont work that way. I will never buy another taurus ever. when it does come in i already talked to my dealer and will sell it to them no transfer fees. I will then by a P83 which i like better anyways.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

There is a recall on the PT-111 but it does not affect the Millenium G2 model, checked that before I pulled the trigger on the trade. And I understand the frustration about the long wait and I wouod be irritated too, but how many millions of
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

(cont.) of the PT-111 have they sold in the last 20 +/- years that they have to service or exchange? If you think of it from the pure logistical side 4-6 months is not too bad. Least your gonna get a new gun out of the deal.
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

my dealer is getting a new gun as i will sell it to them and i get another p83
mike83

Post by mike83 »

I got my PT111 G2 yesterday. I did a clean and lube then went to the range today. Holy smoke! Those magazines are hard to load. Granted, this is the first modern double stack weapon I ever owned. I am going to Cabela's tomorrow for an Uplula loader. I took the magazines down and cleaned and lubed them: no difference. One I could get only 6 in it. The other eventually got 11 loaded. I had about 12 fail to load at first. The bullet was stopping about 3/8" from the slide closing. I tried 4 different types of fmj and all gave me a problem, except my reloads with a Berry's copper coated round. When I got home I ran a brass brush in the chamber and scrubbed the daylights out of it. Monday is planned for another range visit to see if it clears up.
When it did go bang, I really enjoyed it. My last run was 10 rounds of my reloads that all went bang and got my best group. Recoil was very mild. The sights adjusted in nicely. I was able to make some decent groups despite my not so good skills with a pistol. I still make better groups with my P64 :) .
My fingers hurt.
Mike
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Glad you gave her a chance Mike. I too had issues getting the mags loaded to full but after being fully loaded for a couple of weeks they seem a bit easier. But a mag loader is still required. They say never trust a gun fully until 200 to 500 rounds have been through it as all the parts are getting seated in. Was the grip as sharp on this one? And what did you think of the trigger since that first store would not let you feel it? One problem I bet this gun never has is problems from weak mag springs! :mrgreen:
mike83

Post by mike83 »

Yep, the same spot on the right side grip had a sharp protuberance just like the others I tried. I used a nail trimmer to clip off the offending little dagger and all is well. The long trigger was a bit annoying at first. The more I shot it, the annoyance seemed to disappear.
The range I went to has rather poor booth lighting. This made the sights a little hard to find for my old eyeballs. The color change on the dots sounds like a good idea. It does seem to point well, even if I can't see the sights. I did a few shots just point and shoot and hit the 12" paper at 21'. I think when on the bedside, a laser would be advisable for me.
I sincerely hope the Taurus breaks in to the condition most others have enjoyed. Maybe I should have done a more thorough cleaning and scrubbing before shooting.
Off to Cabela's!
Mike
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Mike I hope it breaks in too so you can be as happg with yours as I am. Go to the local beauty supply store and ask them for the neon orange and green polish. It is surprisingly cheap and, o ce you mix it well, can easily be applied to the sights. I use a toothpick and fill the white dots with the nail polish one drop at a time and it really changes the sight picture. I will see if I can get a picture posted.
mike83

Post by mike83 »

I do have some neon pink nail polish. I use it on my shortened Luger 9mm brass converted to Mak. I can just imagine the look on the face of a friend when he sees pink, green and orange neon nail polish on my reloading table. :shock:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

LOL!! If he's like any of my buds he will question you with a raised eyebrow. Until he see's what it does for sight visibility and then they stop giving you crap. In fact I found some on clearance, .99 a bottle, and bought some for 2 of my buds and they never even raised an eyebrow when I gave em to em. And you might by some white as a primer too. Seems the white that is used from the factory does not always provide enough backing to get full bright from the nail polish.