Hello everyone i am new

Info, pictures, advice...
teoman

Hello everyone i am new

Post by teoman »

:hi: Hello everybody, I am a 22 year old college student that is fairly new to concealed carry and the gun collecting hobby in general. I bought my first gun in May (a Ruger Mark 3 22/45) and my second gun in August (North American arms 22 LR single action revolver ) and got my CHL in late July or early August. Have based all my decisions primarily on research I have done online such as YouTube videos and discussion boards. For a few months I thought that the NAA 22 lr would be sufficient for a variety of encounters, and have been thinking of complementing it with a small knife, pepper spray or stun gun. That gun is really meant as last resort weapon and I know it. But because shootings and terroristic attacks seem to be happening more commonly on the news I thought it was time to upgrade to something more sufficient and still retain the 22 lr as a back up piece. Somehow I ended up getting the P 64 probably due to cost and have been reading up on it. I have a couple of questions would appreciate it if you know the answer off the top of your head.

1 is accidental discharge really a problem with this gun I heard it's unsafe to drop but I plan to carry the with the safety on and when the need arises I can simply turn the safety off?

2 secondly in regards to ammo i have always thought at the cheaper ammo is best because its good the clean the gun Regularly anyways since most of the time it gets used at the range. Therefore I plan to use Monarch or Tula mainly for practice and everyday carry rounds would be Hornady critical defense rounds.

thanks in advance for your input!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Hello everyone i am new

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to carry it I would recommend the safest way is with one in the chamber and the safety on.

I would agree with your assessment regarding #2 but make sure your P64 runs 100% with the Hornady ammo also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
plarry

Post by plarry »

When you ask a question about defensive carry and ammo you will get as many different opinions as you get answers. Find a gun/ammo combination that works reliably, practice extensively to build confidence in both the weapon and your ability to use it quickly and decisively. Everybody has an opinion but ultimately you have to decide what works best for you, not for someone else.
Enjoy the process of learning and gaining confidence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC my P-64 with HCD! Carry with one in the spout and the safety on. Practice drawing and removing your safety with an unloaded weapon every day. Dry fire practice is very important. It is a thin gun and great for carrying.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Just something to think about from your first, non-gun paragraph. The stun-gun will make your hair stand on end with that ZAP! it makes. BUT ........ to use it, YOU need to be close enough to the assailant as THEY ARE TO YOU! Arm's length. You really don't wanna be that close. Pepper spray, wasp spray (really!) or something you keep some distance between you and the attacker is good. Just something to think about. All other points are fine and/or have been addressed. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

robhic wrote:Just something to think about from your first, non-gun paragraph. The stun-gun will make your hair stand on end with that ZAP! it makes. BUT ........ to use it, YOU need to be close enough to the assailant as THEY ARE TO YOU! Arm's length. You really don't wanna be that close. Pepper spray, wasp spray (really!) or something you keep some distance between you and the attacker is good. Just something to think about. All other points are fine and/or have been addressed. Good luck!
Too close is not good. 21' rule!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."