Grip Tape?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
chestertnted

Grip Tape?

Post by chestertnted »

Looking at grip wraps for my P-64. I do get banged up in long shooting sessions. Web of hand gets cut, and my hand will hurt. What do you guys use, I have heard the Talon grip tape is okay. Also wonder if it effects the gun for EDC. Thanks
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
plarry

Re: Grip Tape?

Post by plarry »

I tried to use a Hogue grip sleeve, but I tore it trying to install it. So I cut a section of 2" bike innertube, slipped it over the grips then used an x-acto knife to trim it to fit. The innertube is thick enough to cushion the grip slightly but not too thick to affect pocket carry or iwb carry. The innertube sleeve stays in place during shooting but removes fairly easily for maintenance. It may not be everybody's answer, but it works for me.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Similar issues here. I don't get "slide bite" I get "grip rub". The seam of the grips along the back edge and along the top form a perfect 'T' which seems (in my case) to abrade the web of my hand. Hogue slip-on grip looks cool but doesn't go up far enough to fix this issue. I took to wearing a fingerless glove on one hand and that does it for me. Of course I look like Michael Jackson with my one-glove-look. :mrgreen: But I don't go home from the range bleeding anymore.

But look at the molded grips forum member Russ is experimenting with in the top "general info" forum. There's a few posts like "ver.03' and "ver.04" etc. When perfected, these really neat and well-made molded one-piece grips may solve a bunch of problems with grips when he makes them available.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

The inner tube solution works well for me, too.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Have you looked at any of the RAT Grips products? Seems like the would help.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I am torn. Never wore gloves to shoot. You will not be wearing them in a confrontation, so I think I should practice with out them. However the P-64 is very snappy. It can hurt my hand in my advanced years! LOL!..I would enjoy it more, and practice more if it was as easy to shoot as my Mak. But the P-64 is just fantastic to me for EDC. I like it immensely.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:I am torn. Never wore gloves to shoot. You will not be wearing them in a confrontation, so I think I should practice with out them.
Agreed. But wearing them to shoot a BUNCH and keeping my blood on the INSIDE using the glove appeals to me. :mrgreen: In a SD situation, I doubt a small abrasion would bother me :shock: if it happened at all with just (HOPEFULLY!) a few rounds being used. Maybe 1 magazine? No biggie.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
herr mario

Post by herr mario »

....I had a spare set of Talon rubber grips for a XDS45....with just minor trimming they fit perfectly and I have zero problems shooting mine... :)
P-64sm.jpg
...typical bitter clinger...
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I will give it a try.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
drummer

Post by drummer »

Count me in on the inner tube trick.