p64

Info, pictures, advice...
keith150

p64

Post by keith150 »

There is a guy on a 9x18 facebook page bitching that the rounded hammers are safer then the triangular hammers since the sear allows the hammer to rest on the firing pin and that any smack on the hammer can fire off a round ..... says that the hammer redesign is a design flaw and that it's unsafe to carry I mentioned that they most likely carried empty chamber like our military does

Didn't like my argument that any gun with a loaded chamber hammer down can fire a round with a smack to the hammer and now he refuses to carry his p64 lol
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: p64

Post by Curly1 »

He should put that evil P64 up for sale before he hurts himself.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I am following that conversation as well. Lots of video proof. I EDC with safety on, so do not care. The site in question is 9×18 Mania.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Just to be arbitrary, this discussion/argument went on here a while back. It didn't center around rounded vs triangular hammer(s) per se, but moreso that a strike to the dropped hammer on a loaded chamber could fire the weapon. So I took my triangular hammer P64 to the range along with a 2 lb dead-blow, plastic coated hammer. Now I really wasn't gonna bang the hell outta my pistol, but I struck the hammer smartly from 3 different angles and never got it to fire.

Obviously not 100% perfect and a good enough hit on the hammer could, most definitely, fire off a round! I'm just not gonna be the guy who beats hell outta his P64 in the test! :mrgreen: So you might ask the guy making those statements if he's done or seen anything done similarly.

Safety 'ON' is recommended and I think it a good idea. But it's a choice only YOU can make....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Wonabe

Post by Wonabe »

I don't think it's a good idea to treat any firearm as 100% drop safe, regardless of the condition of carry. That being said I've had a Heckler and Koch USP fall straight on it's hammer from about 3 stories high ( ! ) and not go off