P64 or makarov

Info, pictures, advice...
win

P64 or makarov

Post by win »

So I stumbled on this site by accident. I was searching for info on my cz83.
So now I am asking my self. Why do not I have one of these.
What would you suggest for my first one. P64 or makarov? I see different country's made similar guns.
I do like the looks of the P64 though.
thanks again
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 or makarov

Post by Curly1 »

If you can swing it get both.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

I've got a couple of copies of both (and a Cz82). I'd say seize the moment and get the P64, as they likely will never be less expensive and more available. Just over $200 from Aimsurplus and others. Quite a bargain if you ask me.
You'll have a more difficult time finding a Mak, although not impossible. Gunbroker, pawn shops and gun shows should have them, but they'll cost upward of $300. Keep an eye out for the East German PMs, as they are the cream of the crop. Knowledgeable sellers will be asking around $400 for those but sometimes you get lucky and can pick them up for less.

In my humble opinion, these are the pluses and minuses:
PM has more magazine capacity, P-64 is easier to carry concealed (lighter, slimmer, smaller).
PM is generally slightly more accurate (very slightly) and has less felt recoil, P-64 is easier on the eyes (looks like the iconic Walther)
PM has a better double-action trigger out-of-the-box, P-64 has a better single action trigger
MAK safety lever sweeps down, P-64 sweep upward
P-64 arguably has more available customization options, e.g. grips
As far as reliability goes, I'll have a issues with my P-64 every couple of boxes or so (100 rounds) but it usually means it just needs to be cleaned (mine gets dirty as I carry it a lot). I don't recall every having a PM not go "bang" when I pulled the trigger.

Get 'em both!
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

As for the accuracy...I find it hard to believe anything the size of the P64 can beat it for its accuracy. I easily hit repeated bullseyes at 25 yards, and stay in the 10 ring at 50 yards.
win

Post by win »

I found a gentleman on gunbroker that has a few at $199 shipped.
Aims is $219 plus shipping but you also get the holster and extra mag.
win

Post by win »

Looks like AIMS is the best all around deal. The extra mag is worth abut $30 or so and the holster is $10-$20

Has anyone bought a AIMS p64? What are your thoughts?
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

win wrote:Looks like AIMS is the best all around deal. The extra mag is worth abut $30 or so and the holster is $10-$20

Has anyone bought a AIMS p64? What are your thoughts?
I got 3 from AIM and others from another dealer. All the pistols from AIM were in good condition. Not so much for the other guy. AIM seems to be a good bet for getting a nice gun.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Anyone know where I can buy the makarov ? Would like to buy a PM myself will go hand and hand with my P-64.
As for those comparisons I much prefer my p-64 to my lcp if I can make that comparison.
zardoz

Post by zardoz »

+1 for AIM. Mine was like new, excellent condition and it wasn't even hand selected.

Jim
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Shot my P-64, and my Bulgarian Makarov at the range a few days ago. The P-64 is snappy compared to the Bulgy. I carry the P-64 for EDC, appreciating the small, slim stature. MyP-83 is great too, but it is bulky and not as nice looking as the others. Buy all the 9×18 guns you can. The prices are good, and you can get ammo delivered. I use Bulkammo.com. Try this site, 9×18 Mania, on FaceBook for Makarov Love!https://www.facebook.com/groups/717752958354642/
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

The 1975 P64 I got from Buds, the $239 one, looked like it had never been fired though surely it has been. Anyway, it was rated VG but was closer to excellent condition. The PM I got from Buds was definitely used but I've never had a single issue with the weapon. Not one time. I forget how much I paid for it but it was above average like the P64. The P64 I have only fired a couple of hundred times in two outings. Never a single malfunction thus far. And that is with a #22 recoil spring and #18 hammer spring change out. The DA on the P64 is now about the same as the DA on the PM. The SA on the P64 is now just a little less than 4 lbs pull. The SA on the PM is like 7 lbs. The SA on the P64 is now Just enough to qualify for CCW but I have to keep the safety engaged due to its design. Personally, I think the P64 was purely designed for military and when in uniform we kept the chamber empty and I'm sure the Poles were trained likewise. Thus, it was never designed for CCW use. When needed pull the slide back clear and hot in SA. Some people prefer to carry like this anyway. I just keep it hot with the safety engaged. Otherwise, it would be better to just carry a revolver but in some conditions it is too bulky. I'm not the type that prepares for western style quick draw anyway. So, I prefer to carry my revolver OWB or IWB but there are times depending on clothes and such I carry the semi PM and now the P64 IWB. The P64 is super nice and feels solid as a brick of gold. I would rather carry these heavy East Europe mouse guns than any modern 9mm Luger CCW. And to back it up I sold my Beretta Px4 after I got the PM. If available I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the other Makarovs.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Last edited by culpeper on September 3rd, 2015, 10:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC my P-64. Hornady Critical Defense. Spare mag is FMJ. It is a dream for IWB. Never know it is there. Light leather holster. Buy the P-64 first if on a budget.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Wonabe

Post by Wonabe »

Get all three. I wouldn't stress over finding a makarov from a particular country, the difference between a Bulgarian and Russian production are essentially nill other than price. The IJ70 mak has adjustable sights but they're nothing to lust over. There are doublestack maks but if capacity/practicality is a concern the CZ82 clearly Image
stunnoi1234

Post by stunnoi1234 »

looked like it had never been fired though surely it has been. Anyway, it was rated VG but was closer to excellent condition.
gclub1688