Will not decock, broken

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

I have been dry firing my P64 unissued sicne I got it. Maybe almost 400 times or more DA and single actionmode. The DA has lighten up a it but just today i felt somethngs wrong. As I ry to decock using the safety it will not go down. It is dead stock. I looked on the rearside theres a crack of the blocker . is this an easy fix ? how do one remove the safety lever. i tried inserting a toothpick to push the FP and it protrudes it way out on t he other end (chamber side). Thats all I did but will definitely need pictorial help in how to take off this broken part. I will take close up pictures later on. maybe normsutton can help me out again, thanks.
Again this must be the result of the dry firings no doubt. I did not use any snap cap (my fault) and cosnidering the gun is 50 yrs old.
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

I got it disassembled alright. Took alot of manipulation to get it off. Spring loaded little buggers. Anyone knows where to find a safety lever or hammer block in one? thanks. I took pictures to show .
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Will not decock, broken

Post by normsutton »

najaf

LET'S SEE A PICTURE , if what I think you broke is what you broke it will cost you about $ 75.00 if i have to make one.

hope you can fine one on ebay

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 29th, 2006, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Will not decock, broken

Post by normsutton »

najaf sent me some pictures of the the broken parts here they are

This is the second time I've seen this , this part is cast then milled and some of the casting's are bad the same with some
CZ-52's

I have cast some of these parts out of nickel and beryllium
I post some pic of them tonight , if get a chance

but they will go for $ 75.00 to $100.00 a piece and I know that sounds like a lot of money and it is but it takes a lot of time to make them.

najaf NICE PIC'S

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on October 30th, 2006, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pappy83

Will not decock, broken

Post by pappy83 »

I would keep an eye out on ebay and gunbroker, I saw a few go up on gunbroker a couple weeks ago... Pappy
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

Norm
Thanks for posting. I may search for a while for parts hoping someone will sell one. I havent shot this P64 and I like the way it feels esp the compactness. Its my firstime too of all my guns to have a broken part such as this. Its a lesson to anyone not to dry fire a lot as not to cause this damage. Or I may just have a bad gun?
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

Good news I called the seller and they were accomodating. All I need is send the slide and brokenpart back and they will replace it. My advise is buy another gun for parts repalcement purposes while the prices are cheap.
jbailey

Will not decock, broken

Post by jbailey »

Tell the seller that if they now have a 'parts gun' as a result of trading slides with you, there's a bunchof us here who'd like to buy it, all at once, or part by part. I have a friend who is desperate for an extractor. BTW, even a snap cap has its limits, IF you can find/make one. If I'm going to be doing a lot of dry firing (for whatever reason), I use either a strip of thick leather in the slot to cusion the hammer fall or even a ciggarette filter.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Will not decock, broken

Post by normsutton »

najaf

THATS GREAT NEWS
I really don't like making them and then haven charging so much for them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

Again this is something for all P64s to be aware off. Do not overdo your dry firing bec these arent full proof babies. From the way the broken part looks it is soft and weak. I guess the best is not to use the decocker as it will weaken the metal. I will from now on use some form of cushion, a great idea jbailey.
As for the slide they will send it back they said but will put anew decocker on it from another gun. I will try to ask if they will sell the remianing parts .
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

From now on I will limit dry firing in all my guns and will use jbaileys idea. Its a hard lesson for me luckily I got a solution.
stibnite

Will not decock, broken

Post by stibnite »

Good news about the seller, was it a private party?

BTW - I purchased some snap caps from this guy:

http://www.pistoleer.com/
115grfmj

Will not decock, broken

Post by 115grfmj »

I am going to be picking up my first p64 later this week, is this a common problem with the p64. I can't dry fire or risk breaking a basically unreplaceable part ??? PLease somebody let me know,
I love this little pistol, but as I have a serious role for it I will be constantly using the saftey lever. Are there any sources of parts for it.
najaf

Will not decock, broken

Post by najaf »

Hi, i emailed the seller and asked if they will sell other parts but up to now got no reply. As for now the best is use jbailey idea and limit dry firing. that holds true to all handguns and firearms esp old discontinued ones like the P64. Others buy a second one in reserve to use as parts replacement. With this happening to me its a wake up call to know parts do break , and some dont. It may only be a small percentage in teh scheme of things but its good to be cautious.
jbailey

Will not decock, broken

Post by jbailey »

115grfmj: Others have reported breaking the safety, so I think this IS an issue. However, the breakage seems to be due to letting the hammer fall unrestrained. Perhaps carry a cushion strip of some kind, if you anticipate haveing to frequently de-cock? When the hammer is down, the safety will prevent the hammer from impacting the pin if the weapon is dropped. Why not do the 'spring thing', carry hammer down and safety on? Before I found this forum, I solved the DA problem by modifying the disconnector to allow cocked and locked carry, although I am not recommending this for anyone but me. I had done the same thing to a PA-63 years ago. No hard primers or dropping mags problem for this old goat. At any rate, welcome, read everybody's advice, and take what suits your situation.