Trigger Will NOT Move

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Trigger Will NOT Move

Post by robhic »

This is disappointing! I got this P-64 a week ago and for some reason during cleaning it out upon receiving it, I noticed the trigger spring was broken. I do not recall if I actually got the gun to dry-fire (even with that hideous DA trigger weight!) prior to stripping it down but it's been sitting up until yesterday (Thursday 4/9) when Norm's replacement spring arrived. The original spring breakage is a mystery to me.

Beautiful piece of work and nice instructions (Thank you Norman Sutton!!! You da man!!!) but it unfortunately took me hours and two attempts (cut the back, long end a bit too long so it rubbed... :( ) which required disassembly and I guess I ain't as handy with my tools as I used to be. But I got it in and the trigger seemed to function properly. EXCEPT ..... it will not pull back far enough to drop the hammer!!! SA pull and nothing will budge. If I re-install the slide the safety/de-cocker will drop the hammer but DA or SA the hammer will NOT fall.

Upon looking over the gun I noticed a lot of brownish rust (?) so figured maybe it was bound up. I soaked it over night in a bath of Ballistol cleaner/lubricant oil to see if it might loosen. Nope. Still frozen. As I am not a good enough gunsmith to troubleshoot this further myself, any ideas from some that know more?

I REALLY hate having a new (old) pistol that hasn't even been fired once! It's killin' me that I can't fire my new toy. Thanks to any and all for suggestions to this dilemma.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Trigger Will NOT Move

Post by robhic »

OK, FIXED!!!! This was easier than I imagined but have NO idea what caused it. :?: The beauty of having 2 of these pistols is that I removed the slide and grips from the functioning pistol and laid it next to the non-functioning one.

I immediately noticed the trigger bar was further back on the "good" one about 1/4". Huh? How could that be? So I looked into the trigger and spring area of the "bad" pistol and saw ...... nothing. But something was keeping the trigger bar further forward on this pistol. So I took it apart (again :evil: ) and made sure everything was in its proper orientation and VOILA! it was now in a position 1/4" further back than before.

Perhaps during the spring replacement last night and my building frustration I did something wrong? But what? I have absolutely NO idea as there are only 2 holes in the trigger. Put everything right, checked function and IT WORKED!!! I am fully convinced a family of gremlins inhabits my house!!!

But, bottom line: The new spring fixed the pistol and now it works, too. I am a happy boy!!! Sorry I couldn't give more detail on what I did to screw up this spring/trigger/trigger bar orientation that locked up the pistol so others could watch for it but maybe just keep in mind it's possible. Unless it's gremlins ....

EDITED TO ADD: I thought about this last night because it bothered me that I could have made this mistake yet could not figure what it was. There are obviously very few options for causing something to make the trigger bar not reach back as far as it should to engage, so I figure I must have put the rear post on the bar (the one the spring leg goes over through the trigger hole and then put the spring over it. Leaving the front post (the one that actually goes through the trigger hole) outta the hole and forward by itself unattached! I guess it could work and in my frustration (I'd been at it for hours...) and lighting was getting bad (it was getting late and dark) I guess I put the rear bar thru the trigger and THEN put the spring over it.

Now I do not know if this was the case but it kinda makes sense when you figure the trigger bar on the gun that wouldn't work was about 1/4" closer to the front of the gun than the trigger bar on the gun that was working fine. Space between the 2 posts on the trigger bar - one for the trigger "axle" and one for the spring to ride over is about 1/4" .... :oops: So be careful if you get tired, frustrated and the lights starts to get low (even with a flashlight in your mouth). Or it could still be gremlins! :wink: Hope this helps.
Last edited by robhic on April 11th, 2015, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Trigger Will NOT Move

Post by Curly1 »

I luv happy endings :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary