AIM Surplus P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
kiotiugly

AIM Surplus P-64

Post by kiotiugly »

Hi there-

I've been doing a little research for the past few months and decided that a P-64 might be a good addition to my collection. I recently acquired a C&R license and was justing itching to use it.

I checked the reviews from a couple of different online suppliers and elected to go with a unit from AIM surplus. I had previously purchased a Nagant revolver from them and I was very impressed with the condition that it was delivered in.

I placed my order on a weekend, and even with the warning that processing might take an extra 3-5 days because of poor weather, I still ended up getting the pistol delivered the following Friday. In the meantime, I picked up a couple of boxes of Silver Bear 9x18 ammunition to have it ready for when the gun arrived. It arrived in a sturdy cardboard box, and included a spare magazine (as advertised) and a cleaning rod/tool (not advertised).

After I opened the package and inspected the gun, I gave it a "once over" cleaning and lubricating and took it out to pump some rounds through it. I had read about the horrendous DA trigger and I agree - it's pretty rough. I was surprised at how nice and smooth the SA trigger was, though. Similarly, I was expecting excessive recoil, but found it to be very manageable.
I shot a box of ammo through it and at the end of the session, I could feel some mild pain in the web of my hand, but not as bad as I've felt with some other weapons.

I was very impressed with accuracy of the pistol. I sat up several clay pigeons on the dirt backstop that I shoot into and from 7 to 15 yards, I was able to bust them with regularity (and I am a self-professed awful shot!).

Overall, I'm super happy with my purchase. I don't know if I will add this to my carry-weapon lineup. I really prefer a small pocket carry (I use a Taurus 738 normally), and the P-64 seems just a little large for that. I do like the heft of the all-steel pistol, but it might get heavy for all-day carry.

I think that I'm going to try the Wolff spring exchange to lighten the DA pull. What I can't find is how much, if any, affect this will have on the SA pull. Can anyone comment on that aspect?

Once again, glad to be on board, hoping that I contribute something at some point to this site. I'm very impressed with the pistol - wish I had found it a few years ago!

Good luck and take care.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: AIM Surplus P-64

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, nice report Kio.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Marty W just did a test of SA pull weight with different hammer springs installed. Go here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5672
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Had the same experience with my P-64 from AIM. From start to finish, everything was perfect.

The more time you spend with your P-64, the more impressed you will be.
kiotiugly

Post by kiotiugly »

I'm sold on the quality and accuracy of this little pistol. I picked up one the military style holster for it and it has become my "carry around the farm" gun because I like how secure the pistol is in the holster. I wouldn't win any quick draw contests, but I value the security of keeping the firearm in the holster far more than I do easy access in this case.

I just got a few more boxes of ammo and I'm looking forward to doing some more shooting I do plan on swapping out springs in the near future.

Good luck and take care.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I ordered 2 P-64's from AIM Surplus on a Tuesday evening and I was picking those babies up on Saturday!!! :D What great service. Pistols were in fine condition. One was marked 1977 and the other 1975 so they're not really all that old. Yes, I will buy from AIM again and recommend them.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

I got my P-64 from AIM a few months ago. I paid the additional $10 for best-of-5 pick, and the pistol I received is a 1974 model that looks brand new and has been 100% perfect in every respect. So good to hear that others have had the same good results from AIM. I recommend them too.