My P64 Let Me Down Today

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Duo_Z

My P64 Let Me Down Today

Post by Duo_Z »

So I went out to do a little shooting today. I had the sights to check on my M&P, and test the function of the Vis35 project I'm working on. And I figured I would keep up with a little practice of my P64 seeing as its my primary carry. I loaded it up, racked the slide and noticed the slide didn't close all the way. The cartridge didn't strip from the mag completely. So I pull the mag, and rattle the cartridge out it. It looks fine, nothing odd about it. I look at the pistol and notice the safety is half way between the safe and fire position. So I put it in the fire position, put the mag in and rack it again and it fires immediately. That was a little weird. I notice the slide partially open again. So I again drop the mag and clear it. I notice the safety is back at half way. So I pull the slide and find this.
IMG_20150221_193018158.jpg
I have a number of guesses, but until I replace the firing pin I cant really test my theories. I will share with you what I find when I do. But I figured I would share.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My P64 Let Me Down Today

Post by Ketchman »

Well there's your problem, it's bent! LOL!! :lol: Sorry everyone for what was possibly some misguided humor but that's the way my brain works see. Anyway, too bad this happened. I wonder what would bend it like that. Is your firing pin channel clear, no obstructions? All I can think is something got in the way of the pin when the hammer struck it and collapsed it, sort of.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That is odd, I could understand broken but bent is surely an interesting incident.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If it got stuck in the extended position, chambering the next round could bend it, as the rim of the next cartridge has to slide up against the breach face.

That looks to me like you broke a firing pin spring, and the pin didn't retract, basically. As you found out this can result in a slam fire. You're lucky you didn't slide in a whole mag full, or you would have fired off 6 rounds in full-auto.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

So after going through my brass, I found the one 9mm mak case from the day.
IMG_20150222_100015773.jpg
It looks to me the firing pin was being held out and when the slide closed it pushed the pin right through the primer and into the back of the case. If I would have been using brass boxer primed cases it might have been fine, other then the pin sticking out in the first place. But it looks like it came in and hit the anvil for the berdan primer which caused it to bend off to one side. There was nothing odd about disassemble, no odd debris to keep it from functioning correctly. It wasn't excessively dirty, so I'm still going to have to wait for a new pin before I can try to replicate what might have happened.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Here's a theory...maybe the pin pierced the primer and got stuck. When the round was ejected, it bent the pin.

If you have a stiff hammer spring and a thin primer, it could poke right through. The metal then grabs onto the firing pin, since when the pin tries to retract the metal squeezes down around it, wedging tighter.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Possibly snailman but unlikely. That round is steel cased, my bet is it is russian manufacture and to military specs I bet as well. And military ammo has a reputation for hard primers. If it was of Western manufacture ie; brass cased and boxer primed then I would say there is a better chance of that being the case. But the Russians did not change their manufacuring specs when they started marketing their extra ammo to the West and when it sold well they just kept the presses running so that is most likley a military spec primer. I vote for the broken or stuck firing pin spring that did not retract the pin before chambering the next round and bending it under the rim.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

Everything checked out. Springs were good. Nothing missing, nothing jamming it up. I think it had something to do with the safety. But like I said I will be able to do more testing after getting the new pin.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

You might be able to repair the existing firing pin. It's a 3 step process and will require a oxy-propane torch.

1) Use your torch to heat the tip of the FP (at the bend) to cherry red. Then let it air cool.
2) Using a pair of pliers and a vice (clamp the base of the FP in the vice using wood, just below the bend), bend the FP back to straight.
3) Prepare a small metal cup of clean, non-detergent, motor oil sufficient to submerge the FP completely. Use your torch to heat the FP to cherry red again, then "quench" by dropping immediately into the oil bath (while still cherry red). Have some sand or baking soda powder on hand in case the oil catches fire. It might, but it's not big deal, particularly in a small cup.

The initial heat "draws" the "temper" out of the part so it will not be hard and brittle and therefore less likely to break when you bend it back to shape. The second heat and oil bath will "quench" (quickly cooling) the steel which will re-harden it. Cooling the steel too quickly or too coolly, such as with water, may make the steel TOO hard, and therefore brittle. Ideally, you'd also warm the oil bath. Usually about 200 degrees or so. If you have a toaster oven in your work area, pre-heat the cup of oil to about 200.

These are all just sort of back-of-the-napkin generalities for heat-treating steel. A lot of it can (should) be customized for the exact forumlation of steel being used. But I have no idea what steel the FP is made from and it's not really my specialty anyway.

Just a way to *maybe* "save" your bent FP to have as a "backup."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Quenching with oil also introduces carbon molecules into the steel, which generally speaking strengthens it.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

@ Iklawson, In lieu of bending, the FP back to shape, can you hammer it instead? Im just thinking that just bending it, may not straighten the pin, as it would by hammering?
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

gemini1 wrote:@ Iklawson, In lieu of bending, the FP back to shape, can you hammer it instead? Im just thinking that just bending it, may not straighten the pin, as it would by hammering?
Sure. Just draw the temper first.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."