1974 P-64 - Middle safety position

Info, pictures, advice...
MartyW

1974 P-64 - Middle safety position

Post by MartyW »

Hi to all,

I just got a P-64 from Aim (with best of 5). It is a 1974 model in great shape. I've been eying and reading about these pistols for several years when Aim would get batches in, and this time I finally ordered one. I'm very pleased with what I received. It was oiled and with some grease so just a little cleaning was needed. I've ordered the Wolf spring sets for it.

My question is about the safety. When I move the safety from the full-up "fire" position to the first notch down (middle) position, I notice that the hammer does a slight de-cock. Is this 1974 P-64 considered safe to carry with a round in the chamber when the safety is in this middle position? I've seen videos and threads that say the original P-64 wasn't designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, but the middle safety position de-cock on my 1974 model appears to me to be pretty safe.

When I look at mine when going from the middle safety position to the full-down safety position it appears to me that the hammer de-cocks slightly more and then comes back to exactlywhere it was with the safety in the middle position.

Thanks in advance,
Marty
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: 1974 P-64 - Middle safety position

Post by Weasel640 »

There is not a "middle" position on the safety. There is only Safe or Fire.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Marty

There was a discussion on this not too long ago.

Check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4618&p=44302&hilit= ... 7f2#p44302
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

Thanks Weasel640, and many thanks Curly1 for the welcome and the link to the other thread that discussed this. That thread explained it well. And many thanks to juniustaylor for the great detailed explanation.

I purchased the P-64 to hopefully use it for ccw. I'd really like to hear from others who carry the P-64 as ccw as to where they position the safety when carrying and if they carry with a round in the chamber or not. Its great to find this forum that is dedicated to the P-64.
craig

Post by craig »

I bought my P-64 to use as my ccw, but changed my mind when I was informed that the gun is not "drop safe" unless the safety was in the "on" position. Hence with the safety being so difficult to disengage, I don't feel comfortable carrying the gun for personal defense. I now carry my P-83 everyday and the P-64 is used as a fun range toy.
There is no free lunch
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I carry mine frequently in the summer and I am not worried about it not being drop safe. I am not criticizing anyone who wants to carry a drop safe weapon as that is their choice. However, many a non-drop safe weapon was carried for many a year by many people without incident and I am a firm subscriber to the saying that the best safety is between your ears. Anything man made can fail at any time. I carry mine in condition 1, round chambered safety off. The double action pull is long and difficult enough that I am not terribly worried about something getting caught in the trigger guard and pulling the trigger, even with the 17lb hammer spring option, which I have. And it is this reason that I never put the gun in a pocket either with and especially without a holster because hands go in pockets and that would be the thing most likely to cause an AD. Inside the waistband Uncle Mikes #1 holster and I have a carry weapon that goes unseen even under the lightest of shirts. However, you must make up your own mind about what your are comfortable with and what carry option your skill set allows you to safely use.
And welcome to The Brotherhood, these guns are mighty addictive. And we need a range report when you go. :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

Thanks Craig and thanks Ketchman.

I grew up with revolvers and the DA pull was the only safety I knew back then. Its great to hear Ketchman say that the P-64 is being carried that way today. Before I ordered mine I ran across some other posts saying that folks said they were carrying the P-64 this way, but those posts were a few years old.

The IWB is what I was thinking would be best and hearing it from someone who is doing it is much appreciated. I found a great fitting IWB/OWB holster at my local store and I'll check out the Uncle Mike's #1 also.

I've ordered all the Wolff hammer & recoil springs to try, and I've seen folks say that the 18 hammer and 20 recoil is a popular combo. Ketchman, on your 17 hammer spring how is the SA pull and did you try the 18 first?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Marty thanks for the kind words, but it is they way I think and operate. Nice to hear another person thinks along the same lines. And I hope I am not about to jump into the mud headfirst here but I think way too many people want something / someone else to do everything for them, like thinking about AND performing safety. I mean no criticism of anyone specific here but just in general. At one of my past employments I was considered one of the Black Sheep's because I refused to "spout the company line" just because it was the company line when it was stupid. And I am known for saying things these day's that make people "uncomfortable" because I refuse to be PC and say what I think needs to be known if I think it needs knowin bad enough. Anyway............ :roll:
I too have the 20lb recoil spring and like it, I have a 21lb spring also but it will not fit because the end of the spring is rounded and I don't have a grinder to flatten it out, haven't borrowed one and because I like the 20lb it's not real high on my list of things to do. I did not try the 18lb hammer spring because I started at the bottom and was gonna work my way up if I had issues like the mag falling out on the last round or light primer hits like some have had happen. Mine works fine with the 17lb spring so I leave it alone. The single action pull has always been startlingly light, especially for a military design and had some worry's about it being too light when I put in the 17lb, but I found it to be the same really, no real difference at least that I can tell. And another thing I like about IWB holsters is between my body and my belt the trigger is fully protected, nothing is getting to it that should not be getting to it.
Hope this helps, and again welcome aboard.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

By the way Marty, what kind of IWB /OWB holster did you find? I am always looking for a better option. And I should also explain that I don't carry my P-64 more is that I live in Wyoming and in the winter people have on a lot of clothes which means lots a layers to punch through, which means I want more ooomph in my carry gun. However that can be a good thing cause it means it's a lot easier to conceal that larger gun 'cause I am not a bulky sized person and bigger guns don't disappear easily on me. Anybody else living in the Great White North understands that.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I carry mine with one in the chamber and safety on.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
craig

Post by craig »

Hey Ketchman, I lived in Wyoming for quite a few years; Worked in Laramie and Cheyenne.
There is no free lunch
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

Thanks Ketchman and Curly1 for your inputs.

Ketchman, the holster I found in my local store is a Tagua OPH-720. The label says "Open Top Ult Concealment Holster S&W Bodyguard 380. Black R/H OPH-720" Its made of a stiff leather that is also soft if that makes any sense. It is a thick firm leather but with a soft finish like buckskin. It seems very comfortable to me but this is the first one I've ever had. The manager of the store took the time to open and try every holster he had with my P-64 and he was surprised how well this holster fit. I don't know if this is still a current product or not. I googled it and found that Amazon shows they have one left in stock and I found two other dealers on a quick search that said it was out of stock. And I like the idea of trying the 17 lb hammer spring first. I'll try that too and hope for the best. :)

Curly1, I imagine that you probably practice at the range on removing the safety while drawing the P-64, correct? I've noticed on mine that just bumping the safety down a little (to that "middle" spot) does bump the hammer away from the firing pin a bit and with the safety in this position it seems pretty easy to push it up with the thumb as the P-64 is being drawn. I plan to work on that at the range to see if it seems practical.

The Wolff springs came in today and we're planning on a range trip this weekend.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes safety on until ready to fire at the range when I start a run thru with 3 mags.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

Thanks Curly1, did you do any mods to your safety other than oiling it well? I oiled mine well when I got it and it seems to be pretty easy to move the safety with the thumb as it is being drawn, but I haven't had it at the range yet to work on that. BTW, my wife is from Upstate too. She says "really Upstate". I went to one of her high school reunions and going up the north way, I believe that if we missed the exit for her town (Plattsburg) that the next exit was Montreal. Some of her family were from Schenectady.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

No mods on the safety just oiled it up.

Plattsburg yes that is really up there.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary