Cannot Remove Slide

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
BikerNut

Cannot Remove Slide

Post by BikerNut »

I just received a P-64 that I ordered from AIM a few days ago. Since they are nearing the bottom of the barrel, I was afraid I'd get a beater. Instead I got one that has an absolutely cherry finish. It's dated 1976.

Only problem is that I cannot get the slide off.

I remove the mag, put it on safe (which takes two hands) and drop the trigger guard, just like I used to do on my Walther PPK/S years ago.

Pulled the slide back, tried to lift it at the rear, and it wouldn't budge. Tried really hard and it still would not lift off.

Just for the heck of it I tried it with the safety off and with/without magazine.

Any clues?

BTW, new member, greetings to all.
CliffMac

Re: Cannot Remove Slide

Post by CliffMac »

Pull it way back, when i got mine it was tough also but it finally came around
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Try using a pair of gloves for a better grip.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
craig

Post by craig »

When you drop the trigger guard, are you pushing it to the side? Otherwise is still could lock the slide. Welcome to the group.
There is no free lunch
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Yes, the trigger guard is moved to the side, just like on my old PPK/S.

I'll put on a pair of gloves for better traction and yank that slide back as hard as I can (as soon as I drag my butt out of bed).
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

+1 On gloves. Tight fitting shooting gloves work really well for added traction to get a stubborn slide off.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Turned off my laptop, got my lazy butt out of bed at lunchtime, fixed some breakfast, then went back to bed for a 2-hour nap (I'm in vacation mode).

Then ran out to the freezing cold garage and grabbed my Mechanix gloves, which have little rubber dots on the fingertips for maximum grip.

Grabbed the slide, pulled it back real hard... and nothing.

Took a deep breath :o, tightened my sphincter :shock:, gave it my maximum effort... and it was off! :D

Cleaned off all the old grease, took a jeweler's file to some small burrs, gave it a fresh lube job, and back together it went.

Can't wait to shoot it. I have a feeling I'm going to really like this little gun.

Thanks to all for the advice. Couldn't have done it without you!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Give us a range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

You did eat your Wheaties too I see. Welcome to the Brotherhood and yes, range reports are required here. :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
craig

Post by craig »

Took a deep breath :o, tightened my sphincter :shock:, gave it my maximum effort... and it was off! :D

LOL. Glad it worked!
There is no free lunch
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

I've found that when I have trouble removing the slide from a new pistol, taking the grinder ever so slightly to the front end of the recoil spring, just enough to make a small flat spot, greatly aids in removal of the slide. Also leaving it on safety gives you a little extra grip. Welcome to the group.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Another trick is to brace the front of the slide, just above the barrel, on the bottom edge of a wooden table (that you don't mind scratching and gouging), then push forward on that.

I've also used a 2x4 segment, standing up on its short side. This allows me to easily maintain the pressure.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
BikerNut

Post by BikerNut »

Curly1 wrote:Give us a range report.
Ketchman wrote:You did eat your Wheaties too I see. Welcome to the Brotherhood and yes, range reports are required here. :mrgreen:
I'm a member of an outdoor pistol/rifle range but lately it's been a little cold...

So I planned to go to one of the local indoor ranges, but now I'm going to wait a bit longer. I just bought a new-in-box, unfired, 1980s Walther PPK/S just like the one I regrettably sold 10-12 years ago.

So I want to take them both to the range at the same time and see how James Bond compares to Dr. No.

As much as I like the PPK/S, I have the feeling that I'll end up working for Spectre. :evilgrin:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ooooh, nice snag. Blued or stainless? (Did they even have stainless PPK'S then?) I had a mid 90's PPKS stainless that shot nice but bit the hand every bit as hard as my P-64. And was heavier. I like the P-64 better except for the sights, which problem I have corrected.
Let us know how the shootout ends up.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have a blued PPK/s in the 6,000 serial range from the 80's when Interams started producing them.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary