22 Rifles

Talk about rifles and shotguns here.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

22 Rifles

Post by papabear »

Something that is rarely mentioned here is 22's period, handguns and rifles. With the price of ammunition getting more and more expensive, the .22 is a round that's still not expensive to shoot, and for some of us fun to shoot, either in plinking or target shooting. I personally enjoy taking my 22's to the range for both.

Here are some of my 22's

top to bottom:
CZ 452
Marlin 60
Winchester 290

All .22lr's

Marlin 25M 22mag that I refinished the stock

Winchester mod 90 take down [Gallery Rifle] 1930

Recently added to my .22 collection is a Wards Western Field model 80A Take Down pump in 22 S-L & LR.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: 22 Rifles

Post by Curly1 »

Some nice ones there.

I still have my Ruger 10/22 I got back in 76.

Shot thousands of rounds thru it, you can't kill em.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
the_flatland

Post by the_flatland »

I don't have any .22 rifles, although I've had an itch to get one. My father has an old tube-fed rifle which I believe is a Marlin 60, but I can't bet on it. I haven't seen the gun since the early 90's. I do have a Sig Mosquito which has been a blast to shoot. It and my new (to me) P64 are my two pistols.

In the form of Rifles, I've picked up a couple of Mosin-Nagants, as they're inexpensive to purchase, and about 0.18 a round. (Or it was when I bought my 1.5 cases...) I've tacticalized one with a thumbhole Boyd's stock, a really nice rear-sight replacement rail (not one of the $10 cheapos you find all over ebay), and a decent scope. Shoots 2" groups at 100 yards if I can take my time. The gun's far more accurate than the shooter! I also maintained one in original condition and have a M44 carbine version with the folding bayonet. The M44's the only one I've taken a photo of, so here's a pic.
IMG_0956.JPG
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Flatland.

Tough to find Mosin ammo for .18 around now due to the hoarding.

Running more like .28-29 a round.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

I have several 22 rifles. I think everyone should have at least one. My first gun was a Ruger 10/22 purchased in 1977, I believe. I still have it. I also have a Marlin 60 & a Remmington Fieldmaster pump. I have a few single shots too.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

every time I see a photo of a CZ 22 rifle I can not help but think "I really need to get one of those"
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Have to add some Polish flavoring to this thread,got some pics of the Wifama, she's a little bit rough but for 23 years old I guess it really is not that bad. Picked this up back in early October of 2010.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Leo,

Nice Polish flavoring with that Wifma .22 trainer.... add in some fkli and some peogries and you gota a fine meal.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Figured I'd best share this here first, being it is the Polish Pierogi Pistol sight. Found this on E-bay the other day
Perfect match for the 22!
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Forgot to update the unfired Wifama that found its way home back in September of 14. It's a little later production 1990 version. Had plastic trigger guard, since updated to an aftermarket steel, and a front sling mount on bottom instead of the foregrip.

mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

I own 3 .22 rifles. The first is a Remington 514, a single shot, bolt action rifle that will shoot .22 short, .22 long, or .22 long rifle. I bought it back in 1971 when I was in the Navy. Back in the day, .22 short was quite cheap, cheaper then .22 long, or .22 LR, and a great plinking round for general practice. I have put thousands of rounds through the rifle, and always enjoyed shooting it.

My second is a Remington 581, a magazine fed, bolt action rifle. It shoots .22 long rifle only. Again, a nice weapon that just keeps functioning flawlessly.

My last is an Anschutz "Woodchucker", a youth sized, magazine fed, bolt action rifle I bought to teach my stepson to shoot. It is also very accurate, and a pleasure to shoot.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

I guess I need to get a group pic of the triplets now. Back in December of 2016 while in Maui I picked another Wifama up at Whittaker's down in Papa Bear country, technology ya gotta love it some times. It's a little rough like the first one, but shoots real good. Picked up a steel trigger guard like for the second one, just need to get that installed.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Just bought my first .22 rifle and I am 62! Decided to get something for plinking since I am spending more time at the range lately.

Got a Marlin 795, installed a Mcarbo spring kit and a Simmons 3-9 x 40 scope. Zeroed it for 75 yards and it holds really nice groups. Now I am getting the urge for a bolt gun in .22! Damn things are like every other gun,... addictive!
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Yep, just like rabbits and P64's!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Nick,
Nice looking .22 auto. I have a Marlin 60 I've had for quite awhile, it as the tube with 16 rds. I do like yours with the 10 rd mag and with a couple mags makes it easier to reload.

As for a bolt action .22 you might look into the CZ452 models .22's. I have won a few shoot offs with it at my range, it is dead on accurate.