my 9x18s

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
bembry

my 9x18s

Post by bembry »

Here's my small collection. P83 on the way....
My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: my 9x18s

Post by manicmechanic »

Nice start bembry!!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Very nice.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Jlandis003

Post by Jlandis003 »

I just getting started... Could you identify them for me?

They are awesome!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Top Left: CZ82 with Marschal grips
Top Right: P64
Bottom Left: Makarov PM (probably Bulgarian or Russian)
Bottom Right: PA-63 (hungarian)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
bembry

Post by bembry »

The Makarov is a Bulgarian. After seeing many, many Maks on gunbroker, etc. for $$$, this one popped up for a "buy it now" of $260 or 265--this was just a couple months ago, and it had the black grips included too. It's in really nice shape.

The PA-63 is more worn, but was also under $200--again, really recently. I need Wolff springs for this one though...DA trigger is pretty stiff.

The P64 I got from AIM just a few months ago too, and it has the Wolff spring to reduce DA trigger. Now the trigger is up there with my CZ-82. This gun is almost flawless, and the bluing is beautiful.

I got the CZ-82 from JG, last year, with three (!!!) mags. I have a falco holster for it, and it is my CCW. The Marschal grips just showed up. :D Still thinking over refinishing in either hard chrome, or a Duracoat style finish.

I'll post pics of the P83 when I get it!
My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
MongooseDog

Post by MongooseDog »

That P-64 looks great. Mine used to look like that but a series of unfortunate events make it freckle a bit so I duracoated it. Nice collection though.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Still can't decide if I want a PA-63 or not. There seem to be mixed reviews. Maybe a second vz.82 would be in order.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Hurryin' Hoosier wrote:Still can't decide if I want a PA-63 or not. There seem to be mixed reviews. Maybe a second vz.82 would be in order.
You want one.

There's nothing wrong with one that can't be fixed in much the same way that there's nothing wrong with the P64 that can't be fixed.

The trigger pull is a bit heavy, just like the P64, and it can be addressed somewhat by a new hammer spring and a trigger job.

The recoil is heavy, just like on the P64, and it can be addressed somewhat by slip on grip enhancers and (maybe) a heavier recoil spring.

Some people say that the aluminum alloy frame can crack and you need to be vigilant in inspection, just like the slide stop on the trigger guard of the P64.

Parts may or may not be hard to find, just like the P64.

FWIW, the PA-63 is a comfortable CC gun, particularly if you swap those silly import required "thumb rest" grips.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

I don't know. There's just something about that alloy frame that puts me off. Granted it's not polymer :puke: , but I'm just partial to steel. As my late Dad would have said, though, "I'll take it up with the board of directors".
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
bembry

Post by bembry »

Finally got to the range with my "new" 9x18s. My observations:

P-64: My brother put Wolff springs in--great DA trigger now, and shoots terrifically. A bit "snappy" in the recoil dept. Also, the SA is a hair trigger. Seems like the best build of all the 9x18s to me.

Bulgarian Mak: Gritty DA trigger pull, everything else really nice. Most accurate for me of the 9x18s, and comfortable.

CZ-82: I'd shot it before. Super nice, like the CZs are reputed to be. Although, the way I hold it, it rubs my right hand thumb knuckle raw from recoil after a while. I have pretty small hands if that matters.

PA-63: Whew--the DA pull is terrible--need some Wolff springs for this one I suppose. Also, easily the least pleasant recoil of the bunch. Easily. My opinion: If the P-64 was the best made of the bunch--this would be the roughest. Still a cool gun though. I'll do the springs and cold blue the slide.

P-83: Wound up being my favorite of all five guns. Comfortable, great DA and SA trigger pull, most tame recoil, and second in accuracy for me only to the Mak. I wasn't going to buy this as I already had a Polish 9x18. I'm really glad I did. Only issue: You really had to rack the slide with a purpose to get it to properly chamber the first round.

Other than the initial slide racking on the P-83, no misfeeds at all on any. Used 95 gr FMJ Sellier and Bellot ammo.
My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

bembry wrote:PA-63: Whew--the DA pull is terrible--need some Wolff springs for this one I suppose. Also, easily the least pleasant recoil of the bunch. Easily. My opinion: If the P-64 was the best made of the bunch--this would be the roughest. Still a cool gun though. I'll do the springs and cold blue the slide.
Let me recommend against cold blue. The results can be "spotty" and cold blue, while better than bare metal, offers little enough protection from rust and tends to be not particularly durable.

Rust Blue is exceptionally easy, produces really nice results, is among the most durable of the bluing methods (it's basically polished Black Oxide), and is a very "traditional" finish.

My experience with Rust Bluing a Kel Tec P11 slide: http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/fo ... oo-302971/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
bembry

Post by bembry »

Thanks Kirk---I'll have to give that a try.
My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
bembry

Post by bembry »

OK--finally got around to taking some pics of my P-83. I also did the recoil and trigger springs on the PA-63. Haven't shot it yet since the new springs, but dry firing DA is MUCH better.

My 9x18s:
Radom P-64
CZ-82
Bulgarian PM
FEG PA-63
P83 "Wanad"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice looking P83.