Makarov VS P-64 My Observations

Info, pictures, advice...
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

I have had the pleasure of owning a 1971 P-64, a Bulgarian Mak and an IJ-70. Here are my observations:

Makarov: Longer Grip and BBL
P-64: Flatter and shorter, easier to conceal

Makarov: Odd grip angle
P-64: Points naturally

Makarov: Rough machine marks, POOR craftsmanship on safety
P-64: Better than average fit and finish.

Makarov: Ultra reliable
P-64: Ultra reliable

Makarov: Gritty Trigger
P-64: Horrible D/A Pull, CRISP S/A Pull

I prefer the P-64 if given a choice
najaf

Post by najaf »

Polish make good weapons.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

My Mak is an East German, the fit and finish are pretty much equal to, if not better than, my P64. The Mak also points more naturally in my hand, has less recoil, holds two more rounds, and is easy to use double-action. It does not conceal as easily as the P64, so between the two I would carry the CZAK more I think, but given the choice of which one to pick up before heading into a fight I would go with the Mak..
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I like my P64 and it has recently become a favorite shooter. However, I disagree with you.

P64's are smaller and easier to conceal, however less rounds too. I don't use mine for CCW so fewer rounds is a bigger disadvantage than size.

I like the feel of both pistols. The smaller size of my P64 forces a grip that has recently got me better accuracy than my Mak. Just means I need to spend more time at the range with my Mak!

My Bulgarian is actually very impressive for finish. It is a deep dark brown-black bluing especially on the slide. My Make frame is not rough but the texture of the frame is different similarly so on my P64. The blue black finish of my P64 is good, but definitely not better than my Bulgarian Mak. It does top the finish on my Baikal Mak.

I recently fixed the problem with my safety falling which is common for many P64 users. Check out the activity on that post in the fixes section here at the forum. My bulgarian has never had a safety problem of any type.

Until recently, I didn't feel my P64 was that reliable for ammo types such as HP. I suspect the safety issue was affecting more than I realized, however, last range visit was the first time it ran a couple of hundred rounds of HP, FMJ of differing types without issue. My Mak has been like that since i got it with the cosmoline packed in fresh from wherever they get these!

I had to fix the DA on my P64 to be able to use it successfully. My Mak has been usable in every way since day 1. I like the DA and the SA better on my P64 now, but it didn't start out that way.
Last edited by steve98664 on October 4th, 2006, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
robertwilliam

Post by robertwilliam »

I'd place the quality of my DDR Mak and P-64 to be about the same. The P-64 is easier to carry and conceal, however the Mak is not exactly a beast. I've carried a concealed Mak for many years. I lilke both of them, each has a particular nitch.
As far as going to the range , The Mak is much more enjoyable to shoot. While I believe the P-64 is nearly as accurate, I find that I must really work at shooting it to the same level of accuracy that seems to come easily with the Mak.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Boy, isn't this about like asking which one of your children you love more?

I like them both. I agree that the p-64 "feels" better, but the double action in my Mak is quite nice and I don't think it is at all inferior as far as fit and finish. I think I shoot the p-64 better than the Mak, but that is probably more a personal match than the design of the pistol.

I would say this: If able to carry a holster on my belt, I would prefer the mak. If I need to carry concealed, I prefer the p-64. Either one would do in either case--it is largely a comparison of apples to apples and therefore personal preference.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

kempin,

I think you said it all.......a personal preference with the two pistols. My position, is I like the P-64 better.
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

I think the makarov is probably better, for most applications, and is generally loved by MANY people who carry it, as I will be early next year.
BUT, the p-64 is a great gun. I've only put about 50 rounds through mine, but intend on getting more ammo soon. I want to get to know it more, as it seems like it has a lot of potential. , though, have no gripes about the DA pull. Its not great, but its definaly manageable. The SA scares me though, because it has virtually no travel, and breaks almost too suddenly for me. Mine is unissed, as well, so the gun is fine. I just noticed that it seemed to have a lot of travel in DA, and then each SA was sudden, and hard to time. But, I love it. It will be carried concealed as soon as I get more time with it. I just need a link to a good IWB holster, with a thumbreak....Any help?
najaf

Post by najaf »

Ruskie lover
I ordered the DOn Hume 715 IWB without the thumbbreak for the walther PPK. They will be a 6 week back log. I m ok with that. Right now I saving to get me a SMC 380 as its same size as the PPK and fits teh same with the 715 holster.
rjsixgun

Post by rjsixgun »

I dont own a Makarov, but I can say I didnt buy one!!!! I bought a CZ-82 instead, now that gun blows the Mak outt'a the water in all respects (in my opinion) as for the P-64, well I bought one of those too, and I love it! yes its only six rounds VS 13 in my CZ-82, but its also 7 rounds VS 5 rounds in my S&W J Frame. So in that respect I dont have any problem useing it for carry.
I have no problem carring my J frame, but the P-64 does carry flatter, no need for a holster, and reloads faster with an extra mag.

P-64....summer carry
CZ-82.....Spring and Fall Carry
CZ-75 and 1911.......winter Carry

For everything else...........theres the AK-47
kempin

Post by kempin »

Hey RJ,

Don't forget the K-31 for those hard to reach places. (I was shooting with mine this summer at 600 yds.)

-Kempin
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

P-64....summer carry

Yup, though it's hard to find a good IWB holster for the AK... ;)
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

I don't have that many handguns anymore. But bought the P-64 for a carry weapon and thats what it is. I have a P91DC Ruger that I keep in the bedroom and the RV when traveling. I bought a paddle holster for the 64 a couple of weeks ago. Like it very much. Also use a fanny pack.

Of course as already stated.. Still have the SKS..M1 Carbine. Have a Hi=Point 4095 on order. This will go with the P91DC.
Last edited by ozarker on October 23rd, 2006, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Be sure and tell us how the Hi Point works out...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

My brother has a CZ 82..at least I think it's an 82...Great gun, it's a .380, reliable and accurate (accurate for him anyway, I didn't do so great with it myself...) but I still prefer my Mak...Am I correct that the CZ is single-action? I don't recall...

I dont own a Makarov, but I can say I didnt buy one!!!! I bought a CZ-82 instead, now that gun blows the Mak outt'a the water in all respects (in my opinion) as for the P-64, well I bought one of those too, and I love it! yes its only six rounds VS 13 in my CZ-82, but its also 7 rounds VS 5 rounds in my S&W J Frame. So in that respect I dont have any problem useing it for carry.
I have no problem carring my J frame, but the P-64 does carry flatter, no need for a holster, and reloads faster with an extra mag.

P-64....summer carry