double action trigger pull.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
6thcav

double action trigger pull.

Post by 6thcav »

The double action is horrible,what can I do?
Dennis

Re: double action trigger pull.

Post by Dennis »

Change out the the hammer spring to a 18 lb spring. :hi:
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, you can get the lighter hammer spings at Wolf springs.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Welcome, unfortunately even with the 18 lb. spring it's going to be stiff. It's just the way these weapons are. Having been a revolver man during my 20 plus years in law enforcement, I'm used to cocking the weapon as I draw it from the holster so the stiff DA trigger pull is not an issue for me. You have found a well designed, rugged, and reliable firearm but there’s only so much you can do. Every weapon has idiosyncrasys and the stiff trigger is one of those. Just take the time to learn the weapon and it will serve you well. Again, welcome to the forum.
Bill
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
trailer-trash

Post by trailer-trash »

I will have to say from personal experience....the 18 pound spring from Wolf makes it very manageable. Welcome to the forum!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Also if you go for the lighter hammer spring you will end up with a "hair" trigeer for single action.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Curly1 wrote:Also if you go for the lighter hammer spring you will end up with a "hair" trigeer for single action.
One way to counter this would be to get a stiffer trigger spring (not sure if anyone has tried this).
neth

Post by neth »

+1 for the 18 lb hammer spring from Wolff. The single action does become light and requires a little technique to manage after the DA pull. With a little bit of practice and it's not only manageable but excellent.
6thcav

Post by 6thcav »

Why change the main spring? Is power of the 9mm Mak about the same as a .38 special
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

6thcav wrote:Why change the main spring? Is power of the 9mm Mak about the same as a .38 special
Not sure why you are asking this. You asked for ways to lighten the DA trigger pull. They gave you the answer. Replacing the Hammer spring directly effects the trigger weight. It has nothing to do with the power of the round.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
6thcav

Post by 6thcav »

I guess I should have said slide spring.Why replace it? Reduce recoil?
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

6thcav wrote:I guess I should have said slide spring.Why replace it? Reduce recoil?
Yes.

Also, a worn recoil spring won't bleed off enough energy and the heavier recoil can, over time, batter your firearm and cause quicker wear and breakage.

I have heard an interesting theory which suggests that a heavier recoil spring on simple blowback handguns actually causes heavier recoil. The theory suggests that a heavier recoil spring keeps the chamber closed longer which allows for greater pressure buildup in the barrel which leads to heavier recoil (and possibly higher muzzle velocity). I have no idea if it's true or not but it's certainly an interesting idea.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

6thcav wrote:I guess I should have said slide spring.Why replace it? Reduce recoil?
OK that makes more sense about your question now. We had been discussing the hammer spring. But there are two "main springs"; hammer and recoil, so it was misleading what you where asking.

Allot of people don't like the felt recoil of the P-64, because it's built on a small frame you can't get around it much. A stronger recoil spring helps. You can't go to strong as it will prevent the slide from cycling fully. The standard is an 18 pound recoil spring. I really like the 22 pound recoil spring on my P-64, it works really well. The heavier spring does reduce the felt recoil. I can feel the difference between the one with the 22 lb recoil spring and my other two with standard springs.

Also with the short length of the recoil on a blow back gun, over time the recoil spring will wear out. In most cases the shooter will feel real bad recoil but it can cause damage to the slide and frame.

The recoil spring is not hard to change. Just keep in mind that some of the Older Wolff springs will need some fitting. See this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176#p39176

Also for replacing the included firing pin spring refer to the manuals and watch juniustaylor's videos:

viewforum.php?f=7

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.