Beavertail?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Beavertail?

Post by himmel »

I carry .32 Mag Safes in my Zastava--Have you tried shooting them into something like soap/gelatin/wet phone book? I know from experince that the bullet will penetrate a wooden armoire without fragmenting... I pd something like $12 for 6 I think...

kempin, et al: yes, the 70 gr, was great. also got some "MAGSAFEaMMO" PREFRAGMENTED: nO RICOCHETS OR OVERPENATRATION--- CONSIDERED ultra-potent Much less recoil & more energy ... called 51 grain defrender w/1700 feet per sec/327 ft-lbs claims tp have double FMJ energy... more wound damage than any hollowpoint 10mm bullet. cost $18.95 for six, I got on sale for $9.00 OTD... bought them all Made in USA May not kill, but will sure stop em in their tracks...
kempin

Beavertail?

Post by kempin »

b52stan,

Thanks for the info. Maybe that explains why it shoots so well with 95 grain ammo. I do wonder if a lighter bullet might have been involved earlier in the design and development phase, since the whole point of the "as issued" ammo was to be interchangeable in all sidearms, but that may be one of those things I just "wonder" about for the rest of my life.

himmel,

Sounds like an interesting ballistic experiment. Most ammo manufacturers don't list the "armoire penetration" specs. Perhaps it is best if I don't ask . . .

-Kempin
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Beavertail?

Post by himmel »

:-[ You're instincts are good kempin-- Fortunately only the armoire felt any damage...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Beavertail?

Post by abwehr »

We have been discussing the light weight bullet that was used in the P-64, but I was thinking about the discussion we had several months ago about the springs being heavy to use sub gun ammo. I wonder what bullet weight the Polish military used in these. Were these bullet weights heavier than the 90-95 grain that the P-64 likes? I will do a search for Polish submachine guns and see if I can find anything about those rounds.
butch50

Beavertail?

Post by butch50 »

I favor the CZAK as a close range self defense pistol. Light, small profile, easy to carry in my pants pocket, and packs a reasonable punch. For me, this is definitely not a range gun, it does bite my hand, and my hand is large enough that trying to keep it out of the way of the slide is very difficult.

In my own very humble opinion, in a self defense situation, I would expect the situation to develop fast and up close. Having the time and the distance required to take aim with the sights just doesn't seem to fit into the picture. Point and shoot does seem to fit into the picture though. If I have time and distance necessary to take aim, I can of course with my CZAK, but I just don't see it as likely.

If I thought that I might get into a self defense situation that required either more fire power or longer distances I would carry a different pistol entirely. But given what I think is most likely, the CZAK fits the bill to a T.

With all that said, I don't spend a lot of range time with this one. I shoot it just enough to stay convinced that it will respond when required and to retain familiarity with its handling characteristics. So I don't put many rounds through it, and I want the hottest load it can handle for self defense purposes. No more than I shoot it they won't shake it apart any time soon.

As for the bite, if I get into a self defense situation I don't think that will bother me in the least at that time, in fact I seriously doubt that I will notice it at all. So, for me, a beavertail set up would be problematic in that it would create additional edges and corners that could get caught in the pants pocket when pulling it out.

For those that like this pistol for range shooting, lighter loads are most definitely a plus. A very big plus. A beaver tail and lighter loads sounds like it could turn this little pocket snarler into a sweet tempered range shooter.
callisto

Beavertail?

Post by callisto »

Okay, well this took longer than I expected. Long story short, I haven't had as much time to work on this as I had wanted, and the project is moving at an exceedingly slow pace. At this point I have the wood, and have made a patern to trace onto it, but that is about as far as I have gotten. When I went to gather my tools, I could not find the set of wood files that I had intended to use for the shaping of the panels; I am pretty sure they got lost when we moved last year. So, I will be getting down to business in about 2 weeks. I can't afford to buy any new files until payday, and the others seem hoplessly lost.

Until then, any new suggestions/tips are appreciated.

Thanks
kempin

Beavertail?

Post by kempin »

No rush, callisto.

Take your time.

Just keep us posted, if you don't mind.

(And if you make one too many, keep me in mind.)

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
rjsixgun

Beavertail?

Post by rjsixgun »

Maybe we can talk Zee into makeing some of these up!!! I know I would by a pair or 2.

He already has the mold made maybe he can just open up the pack area so it will form a beaver tail.....

maybe....Zee?? are you out there?? Please
alaziela

Beavertail?

Post by alaziela »

I'm curious on how your beaver-tail grip idea works out. I had added one that was permant, and a non permanent alternative would be nice to see also.