P64 shooting stings my hand

Info, pictures, advice...
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

There's a reason for the strong DA trigger. The pistol was carried with one in the chamber and the safety on. In an emergency close range situation the first shot is never aimed. And a strong trigger pull is important to keep the shooter from shooting his leg off while pulling the gun out.
Actually, no. We've had a number of Polish soldiers posting here, who have advised us that the P-64 had a heavy hammer spring in order to shoot submachine ammunition with harder primers. Given that most of us won't be using submachine ammunition, changing to a lighter hammer spring in order to reduce the considerable DA trigger pull is a reasonable option.

Of course, your point is well taken that a strong DA pull may serve to lessen the chances of a negligent discharge.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I never have bought the "harder primer" argument. The difficulty in the DA pull is in cocking the hammer. The trigger doesn't fall any harder on a double action pull than it does on a single action pull. All the rest of the cartridges in the mag would have the same primer. They fire perfectly well with the light SA pull. The logic in that argument is flawed.
erich

Post by erich »

Great info, thanks!
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

I have some milsurp 9mm subgun/tracer ammo that will not fire in guns that shoot everything else, so there may be some basis for the 'harder primer' story. However, the amount of energy stored in the mainspring to fire the cartridge is the same in DA as in SA. The difference is where that energy comes from: DA - your finger; SA - the previous shot or manually racking slide/cocking hammer with thumb. Bottom line: jury is still out, until the designers show up to tell us what they were trying to do.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I think you are making the "hard primer" case. It's not a matter of the hammer not falling any harder after the DA stroke than after the SA, it's a matter of it not falling any more lightly after the SA, but as you note, the cocking action has been accomplished by another mechanism. The spring is stout, to make the hammer fall hard, and that makes it hard to compress the spring thru the trigger action--The spring is till stout, and hard to compress, in SA but it is compressed by the more efficient ("easier" ) means of direct action on the hammer by thumb or blown-back slide...That's the non-engineer, lawyer/"logical" take on it anyway...At any rate, what makes my trigger finger numb after firing the CZAK is the blow to the finger after the hammer falls (this occurs during dry-firing too, so it is not a function of recoil), which would seem to indicate that the hammer is falling hard, no?
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

That sounds a little too blue collar thinking for a lawyer Himmel. Are you sure your not a brick layer or warehouse guy . Sounds good to me , but I am just a warehouse guy.

C-Ya,
Bobby J.
jmak

Post by jmak »

-Kempin
I'll keep the P-64. I did not know about 9mm case sizes. I may try that. I have a lee Turret press but no Mak dies but may have to try that and of course, would need to resize the cases. I have more than enough 9mm's.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Hey Bobby--My dad is a welder (retired)...and i'm not a very good lawyer, either...LOL!