P64 shooting stings my hand

Info, pictures, advice...
jmak

Post by jmak »

I have one. I shots really well but it stings my hand on every shot. It is bad enough that I do not want to shoot it. Any suggestions or similar problems? My hands are big but not that big....
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

What size bullet are you shooting and what kind of grips are on the gun

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

IMHO "felt" recoil can be reduced by almost 50% by using "Zee" grips, if yours came with the thumb rest style grips, a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve and a modified Wolff 25# recoil spring originally intended for a HK P-7. None of these items are expensive. I would say that recoil goes from being very unpleasant to tolerable. Everyone's perception of recoil is different though, so others may not agree.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

I wear mechanic's gloves( the kind you get at sears or from the Snap-on truck). I once had walther notch my thumb. I think it helps a little with the recoil sting.
pirk56

Post by pirk56 »

The other day when i shot, while i was shooting it didnt bother me, i could tell a big differece between 95gr and 100gr, but the past 2 days my thumb and the section where the gun sits in ur hand has been sore
jmak

Post by jmak »

Sorry for the delay but my PC crashed and I lost all my favorites etc. Found it again!! I am using S&B ammo. The grips are the black ones that came with it. I already changed the spring with a Wolf Walther spring. I do not recall the pounds but the first pull is easy at least compared to the spring that came with the pistol.. It is an great little accurate pistol except for the pain. I will try the glove route the next time I go and let you all know. Tx for the input.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

jmak, both the good original flat grips, and the bad added left thumbrest grips, are black.
Bet you have the latter, but let us know. If you do, you can solve the problem with the Zee grips reasonably.
If you have the flat grips, you'll just have to check the grips for alignment, and make sure the grip screw isn't loose.
Stan
Last edited by b52stan on September 20th, 2006, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scriptoe

Post by scriptoe »

I absolutely love the thumbrest grips and would not have my p-64 any other way. As a matter of fact the gun store I bought it from had 2 with the flat grips and the one I bought with the thumbrest. I hate the flat ones.

And I don't notice any recoil at all when shooting mine with S&B 95g ammo. I thing the pistol is a treat to shoot and amazingly accurate. I don't notice any of the muzzle flip after the shot or drop before the shot like I do with my vz-52.

And mine is all original, no aftermarket springs or grips or anything. All it's ever had is a good cleaning and oiling. And as long as I have it, that's the way it's going to stay.

Everyone can talk about the hard DA trigger but I must disagree. The technology was already a hundred years old for making double actions by the time the P-64 was designed. The engineers knew what they were doing, even if they did steal most of the design. Dont' you think they tried different strength springs?

There's a reason for the strong DA trigger. The pistol was carried with one in the chamber and the safety on. In an emergency close range situation the first shot is never aimed. And a strong trigger pull is important to keep the shooter from shooting his leg off while pulling the gun out. Or from discharging the weapon accidently at any time while removing it from the holster. After the first shot is fired and the attacker is backed up some then the subsequent shots will have the advantage of a nice light single action trigger.

Or if trouble is expected ahead of time, the gun can be unholstered, safety taken off and hammer cocked back and ready. Then the first shot can be made using the advantage of a light trigger.

There has always been a reason for a strong DA trigger on guns. But Glock came around and screwed all of that up for us and spoiled everybody. In the process of making idiot proof guns they accidently created lazy shooters.

My favorite gun is my 1895 Nagant revolver. It's also double action. And has about a 50 pound double action trigger pull. :) But I love it like no other weapon I've ever had in my hand.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

scriptoe,

I do like the flat grips, especially the Zee grips that a board member here makes [Zeeborg] and he is a great guy to deal with, but I do have the thumbrest grips too, and use them from time to time depending on the situation. I only have three of the P-64's now, but they are all original also, no changes, but I can understand why some feel the need, we ain't all alike. I personally don't like the DA on all my P-64's and haven't experienced the "Sting" that some mentioned, but again, we all ain't the same. Anyway, I appreciated your post, hope to see you here often.

Regards,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
pirk56

Post by pirk56 »

during the shooting i dont really notice the sting, i dont have big hands at all, i can tell ya 95gr is easer than the 100gr on the recoil, its jsut like shooting rifels/scatter guns, bigger the gun, more the kick, ive ordered the zee grips, ill have to go shoot when i get them in to see if the recoil is any different, but personaly ive never been bother by kick or recoil, yes my hand or shoulder will be sore after a day of shooting, but to me thats part of it, it might be where you have your hands placed, you might have your hand up high and the slide is pinching it, it had that happen to me, also there are pressure points in the area of the hand, but stick with it, stay with 95gr...Pirk
najaf

Post by najaf »

I went to a local pawnshop today, they have a 1976 p64 with thumbrest , extra mag and in a black plastic case. Price at $269. My firsttime to handle one and the DA was really stiff. The SA was a hairy trigger. There was no slack in SA. It breaks right quick maybe 3 lbs in SA. Whoa, you have to be really extra careful with this thing, keep that trigger finger out unless ready to shoot . Now the price is way out there.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

najaf,
Correct on the price. You can get an excellent one on Gunbroker.com for $100 less than that,
with the extra mag, and sometimes even a holster.

This seller has a good feedback:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=56943548

And this seller lists this one as "9x19", but all the P-64sa ar 9x18.
It has started low with no reserve, so you might get in on it and save a few bucks. In any event, watching this auction to its' conclusion will give you an idea what P-64s are really going for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=56831151
Last edited by bzinggg on September 22nd, 2006, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Hey Jmak,

Do you, by chance, load ammo? If so, loading it down a little will solve all of your problems. I also find that the p-64 stings when shot with factory ammo. Personally, I think it is because the ammo is too hot for the gun. (As a regular diet, I mean, not for carry)

For what it is worth, I also have no problem with the thumbrest grip. I would like to try the flat grips, but to be honest I don't feel the need. The grips feel just fine to me. To each his own.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
jmak

Post by jmak »

I do reload but usually 38/357s 45ACP type. The ammo I use has to be brass as I have been using an inside range and no steel ammo is allowed. The sting is probably such a small pistol with a power bullet. I have a Bulgaria mak and it is no problem. I had the sting problem with the KelTec 3AT so I went back to the 32 ACP. Thanks for all the responses.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Jmak,

95 grain lrn over 3.3 grains universal is magic for my p-64. It shoots groups with the holes touching, if I do my part, and there is not sting at all. I could shoot it all day.

It is also pretty cheap. I trim luger brass, which is about as common as dirt, and it shoots just as accurately in my pistol. Also no problem in an indoor range, though you will want to mark your brass if others could pick it up. (I don't like steel cases anyway, as I think they wear the gunmetal much faster than brass.)

I bought a Lee brand die set from cabelas for right around twenty bucks, and you can buy a very clever Lee case trimmer that uses a power drill for two or three bucks. (that was a couple of years ago, of course.) If you have everything else already and know what you are doing, I would encourage you to at least consider it. Honestly, it is like shooting a different gun.

At the very least, don't give up on the p-64 without trying it. (And if you do, sell it to me!)

GBASS,

-Kempin