Trigger bar issues

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
rodger58

Trigger bar issues

Post by rodger58 »

Found my P64 at the local shop here in SE Ohio.
Overall great condition. Internally looks new.
Paid $179.00 and bought 2 extra mags for $10.00 a piece
I have not fired it yet but while cleaning I come across an intermittent problem:

When pulling the trigger double action, sometimes (fairly infrequently actually) the trigger bar will move slightly to the right, disengaging the sear. I only observed this as I tried to figure out what was happening with the grips off. I would think that the grips would keep the bar aligned but there is too much clearance.
Nothing seems to be bent, broken, or out of alignment.

My first thought was that the safety was engaging but that is not the case.

My plans were to carry it concealed.
I cannot trust it the way that it is.

I already have a Bulgarian Makarov. I picked this up because it seemed it would be easier to conceal.

Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, remedies?

Thank you,

Rodger
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Trigger bar issues

Post by normsutton »

Is the slide on when your doing this if not put slide back on

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rodger58

Trigger bar issues

Post by rodger58 »

The slide is on, the grips are on. I removed the grips to try and see what the culprit is. That's when I can see the bar shifting right occasionally

Rodger
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Trigger bar issues

Post by normsutton »

RODGER

when cleaning it did you take the tregger bar off

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rodger58

Trigger bar issues

Post by rodger58 »

No, after reading the detailed instructions on how to get the trigger spring back in I decided not to go that route.

I spent most of my effort disassembling the slide.
Boy, there was a lot of gunk in the extractor spring channel.
Don't even ask how I got the loaded chamber indicator back in.
I'm not sure I can explain it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Trigger bar issues

Post by normsutton »

RODGER

DID YOU GET MY EMAIL

NORM

I SEE YOU DID

If you try to call me email me first and i'll get of computer or email me your phone # and give me a time to call and I'll call you
Last edited by normsutton on September 26th, 2006, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Trigger bar issues

Post by pshootr »

I think your right grip panel must be slightly deformed. You could try super-gluing a small piece of plastic cut from a Quik-Lok tab off of a package of bread or similar piece of plastic to the outside rear part of the trigger bar and see if that cures the problem. You can always scrape the plastic off the bar with a knife blade later. There could be wear on the trigger bar or the hammer but I think that is unlikely as I doubt these pistols were fired double action much.
. . . PshootR . . .
rodger58

Trigger bar issues

Post by rodger58 »

That is my thought, it looks as though the relief in the grip for the bar is much deeper than it needs to be. I was actually thinking of gluing a piece on to the grip panel itself.
pshootr

Trigger bar issues

Post by pshootr »

That would be my first choice for a permanent repair. The reason I suggested gluing it to the trigger bar is that it is easy to remove a super-glued plastic part from from smooth steel but it may more or less permanently bond to a semi-porous composite surface like the grip. You might even try layers of tape on the grip first as part of the trial and error process. What's the old saying? Measure twice and cut once." . . . PshootR . . .

That is my thought, it looks as though the relief in the grip for the bar is much deeper than it needs to be. I was actually thinking of gluing a piece on to the grip panel itself.
rodger58

Trigger bar issues

Post by rodger58 »

O.K.
After talking to Mr. Sutton (Great conversation this afternoon by the way!) I went home and studied ever thing with the slide and grips off.
It would seem that the bar isn't actually moving to the right far enough to disengage from the sear.
I pressed down on the disconnecter and found that it was very gritty as it slid up and down.

I think that it is dragging (where it contacts the sear) and sticking too far down on occasion thus "disconnecting" the trigger bar.
My plans are to buff the edges once I have time to take it out.

Thanks again for all the help.
I 'll keep everyone posted.