Ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
perfesser33

Re: Ammo

Post by perfesser33 »

My P64 (1972) doesn't eat the Brown Bear ammo. Any sugestions?
Sent from my Etch A Sketch
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Does it eat other brands of ammo?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Some P64's have very sensitive out of battery disconnects and Brown Bear can be just a very small bit over-length.

Thread documenting my odyssey here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4803

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

I just tried out some B.B. in mine today, along with some S.B. (mixed), and they both performed perfectly. I wasn't aware there was a problem with B.B. but I'm glad mine seems to be immune.

Jon
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

Mine is very sensitive to CCI Blazers. I have not measured the fired cases but suspect that aluminum cases could somehow disrupt primary extraction, causing some energy to be lost. I haven't yet run the numbers.

Everything else fires and functions just fine.

I would not want to duplicate the Polish issue. It's ball ammunition meant to conform to the rules of land warfare. Modern bullets are your best bet. I prefer Hornady Critical Defense but any reputable hollow point would do.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

perfesser33 wrote:My P64 (1972) doesn't eat the Brown Bear ammo. Any sugestions?
Silver Bear was 100% effective with my P-64. It's not only great ammunition but it's attractive looking.

Winchester Metric, Prvi Partisan and S&B worked well for me.

Never tried Tula but I'd like to do so.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Silver Bear works fine for me also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
perfesser33

Post by perfesser33 »

I've had feeding issues with the Brown Bear ammo. The case thickness with the coating seems over spec and binds in the clip.
Sent from my Etch A Sketch
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

are you using ball or hollow point.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Well, crap. Now you guys have got me wondering. :roll:
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
the_flatland

Post by the_flatland »

Maybe I've been lucky? Brown Bear, Silver Bear, American Eagle, and my Hornady Custom Defense rounds all performed flawlessly. I now have 200 rounds of S&B and 50 Winchester to test, but expect the same.

In the BB vs SB, spend the $1 and get the SB if available. Smoother cycle and significantly cleaner round, though still dirty compared to everything else I've fired.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

My 1976 P64 seems to do well w/all the mentioned brands but, oddly, my CZ82 will not load Privi Partizan at all, although other brands load w/no problem. It consistently jams when stripped off the mag, and I've tried several different mags & several different boxes of ammo; even had a very experienced (50+years in business)smith go over the pistol & polish the feed ramp. No luck. I'm really stumped, as Privi has a very good rep f/quality & I've never had a problem w/it in other calibers. Anyone else have this problem? Sorry if this is the wrong forum f/ my query.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Donzi - You might want to pose that question in the ammo area. To answer your question, though - no, I've never had a problem with Prvi Partizan FMJ. Or was the problem with JHP?
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

No, it was FMJ ammo.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

Have you polished the feed ramp? I did that after I cleaned the cosmo out. That was before I tried it out so I don't know how it would have performed without the polishing but I haven't had any problems with Brown Bear, Silver Bear or the PowrBall hollow points I use for carry (they have a polymer tip).