Where do you get your ammo?

All things ammo related.
bjornsj89

Where do you get your ammo?

Post by bjornsj89 »

I just got a P64 a few weeks ago and I bought the last box of 9x18 ammo in town.... I went through all but 12 of the 50count box so I would have two full magazines to carry if I so wish. It's a real pain finding ammo for this little guy!! Is this in part due to the current firearm laws in legislation? Or is MAK ammo always this hard to find? I was able to find a site (FINALLY!) that wasn't sold out, Natchez Shooters Supplies. I was looking for Hornady HP XTP because of the reviews I've ready on here, as well as other forums/sites.
lklawson

Re: Where do you get your ammo?

Post by lklawson »

bjornsj89 wrote:I just got a P64 a few weeks ago and I bought the last box of 9x18 ammo in town.... I went through all but 12 of the 50count box so I would have two full magazines to carry if I so wish. It's a real pain finding ammo for this little guy!! Is this in part due to the current firearm laws in legislation? Or is MAK ammo always this hard to find? I was able to find a site (FINALLY!) that wasn't sold out, Natchez Shooters Supplies. I was looking for Hornady HP XTP because of the reviews I've ready on here, as well as other forums/sites.
Most of us seem to buy from internet retailers and pay extra for the shipping costs. Many of the better stocked LGSs (Local Gun Store[s]) will have some stock but many LGSs won't.

The reason that 9x18 makarov ammo is hard to find right now has little to do with current laws and a lot more to do with the fear of what future laws may be. Ever since Newtown there's been an absolute buying frenzy on all types of ammunition and many types of popular rifles. Most ammunition manufacturers are 6 months behind on fulfilling orders and many firearms manufacturers are running further behind than that (go ahead and try to find a NIB AR-15!).

Keep looking and exercise patience and you'll, eventually, be able to find ammunition again.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I just go my last batch form Classic Arms, before that from Aim.

Yea the trick is finding it now.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9 ... Makarov%29

The deal finder a two months ago had about 30 vendors with ammo availablle.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
bear34

Post by bear34 »

I was ordering from Cabelas. They had free ship to store. However, their online service turned out to be the worst and they will no longer get my business. I thinking of talking to the manager of my local Walmart and asking if they will special order. They also offer free ship to store.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Never purchased or shot commercial ammo in the P-64, but even as a reloader things are very bad. Was using Berrys Plated, who are no longer taking new orders, as they now show they are 6 to 8 month's behind on current orders. 3 months ago they shipped same day.

With the government placing new huge orders for ammo in the billions (not including billions more in military purchases) clogging up component production for civilian purchases, I do not expect things to get better anytime this year. Some might even conclude this is one way of getting around those pesky 2nd amendment rights. Remove ammo availability from civilians = remove usable firearms. Who needs 25 round mags when you can't even buy 5 bullets?
bjornsj89

Post by bjornsj89 »

I was able to find a good deal at Natchezss.com $16 for a 100 count box of Hornady XTP. Says they are in stock, but to expect delays. I think I can wait a little longer for a deal like that :)
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Are you sure about that pricing, they come 25 to a box.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
bjornsj89

Post by bjornsj89 »

Pretty sure the price is right.... I read it about 18 times before purchasing, and I've looked it up twice that since I bought it. I haven't been able to find it again unless I search the part #HO36500. If I read something wrong, feel free to correct me. I'd rather stand corrected now than when the ammo shows up at my door.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... c=exrbSrch
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

OK I get it now it's just the bullets, I thought it was for the whole cartridege, that would be a smoking deal.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
blizzard109

Post by blizzard109 »

Like Curly1 said, you do know that is just for the bullets and not a whole cartridge.Do you re-load?
bjornsj89

Post by bjornsj89 »

My my my do I feel sheepish...... Knew it was too goo to be true. I do want to reload.... But don't have the set up right now. But I would never reload carry rounds. They haven't shipped yet so hopefully they will refund me, or switch my order for some rounds of equal value. Glad you guys said something. Although, I should have known better..... I guess the excitement of actually finding something that is available got the best of me :/ The search continues!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would think they would cancel the order if not in stock.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Wow, I'm surprised this thread has not snowballed more. Due to ammo shortages in Dec. I have not gone shooting or bought more ammo. I do have ammo to go shooting, but if I can't replace it for a reasonable price, I'm not going to go use it up.

Being Tax season I had an idea. Normally I can't afford to buy by the case, but in general, buying by the case saves money per round. Once my return gets payed out, I was thinking I might want to find cases of the stuff I shoot the most. So where are the good/affordable cases at in .22LR, 7.62x39, .380ACP, 9x18Mak, and 9x19Luger?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
bear34

Post by bear34 »

Weasel640 wrote:Wow, I'm surprised this thread has not snowballed more. Due to ammo shortages in Dec. I have not gone shooting or bought more ammo. I do have ammo to go shooting, but if I can't replace it for a reasonable price, I'm not going to go use it up.

Being Tax season I had an idea. Normally I can't afford to buy by the case, but in general, buying by the case saves money per round. Once my return gets payed out, I was thinking I might want to find cases of the stuff I shoot the most. So where are the good/affordable cases at in .22LR, 7.62x39, .380ACP, 9x18Mak, and 9x19Luger?

I went to the range yesterday to try out my recently aquired .22 conversion kit for my Makarov. I figured since no one can find ammo anywhere, I'll breeze right in. There was a 45 minute wait and they still had ammo(they would only sell what you would shoot that day.) I didn't want to hang around so I will go Friday, which I'm taking off. I believe the Federal plant here in Minneapolis is working mandatory overtime.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

bear34 wrote:I went to the range yesterday to try out my recently aquired .22 conversion kit for my Makarov. I figured since no one can find ammo anywhere, I'll breeze right in. There was a 45 minute wait and they still had ammo(they would only sell what you would shoot that day.) I didn't want to hang around so I will go Friday, which I'm taking off. I believe the Federal plant here in Minneapolis is working mandatory overtime.
Wow again. That's smart. Only selling their ammo out if you buy range time. Bet they collect and re-use the brass they sold you too. Generally speaking range ammo is like Movie Theater Popcorn, they know they've got you so they can charge whatever they want.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.